Battery post connector for multiple wires?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Great input guys. Right now I am trying to decide rather to solder or crimp. Ideally I would like to crimp but can not shell out $200 for 0 awg crimpers.

Harbor Freight Crimper maybe?
http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

edit: on 2nd thought. that hf crimper has some bad reviews

I wouldn't be too worried about a few bad reviews, it's got 77 reviews and a 4 star average which is pretty good and IMAO perfectly acceptable for a non-critical tool like this.

ETA ah see you got it, glad to hear you like it.

155mm

Adventurer
I was ghetto and just squeezed the crap out of my connections with pliers =( I guess it's just asking it to fail at some point.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I always try to solder instead of crimp when possible. Was very easy for my 0 gauge battery wire when i installed my 2nd battery.

Fill the ring terminal hole with as much solder as possible (i use rosin core), heat it with a blow torch until melted then jam your wire in.

AndrewP

Explorer
Here is a good read on making connections at the battery:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

Stay with it because he discusses the HF crimper at some length at the end.

I agree with him that the HF crimper is junk. Notice the poor crimp job in post #30. Nails, vice grips, pliers are all expedients. They are not good crimps.

I have a HF crimper that has been used maybe 3 times. It is in perfect condition. It even contains the mystery 7 gauge die! Make me a reasonable offer and I'll send it to you.

RedF

Adventurer
^ While I agree that many of the methods being discussed are perhaps less than ideal, it is difficult to argue with results. I have crimped many battery lugs (hundreds) using "alternative" methods - most of which are in a high vibration, moderate load environment - and to the best of my knowledge I have not had a single failure . A terminal crimper with a 4 digit price tag is not necessary for most of us. I can appreciate such an item for marine and aviation applications where a failed crimp may very well endanger lives and thus must be engineered to perfection, but common sense and critical thinking will get most of us by just fine.

I apply many of the same techniques as your link when making my expedient crimps.

Conversely, I have seen crimps fail that were made using a correct tool, but inadequate attention to detail. That is to say, the most expensive tool is ineffective if not utilized correctly.

carbon60

Explorer
I have seen it discussed that it may be better *not* to cover the connections with heat shrink as it does not offer much benefit and obscures possible corrosion issues.

I ran into this when a cable came out of its connector on my rig, a cable that was there when I purchased. I may have noticed it starting to fail if it hadn't been covered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online