Battery to battery charger? Any suggestions

dvorocks

Adventurer
Im looking to install a battery to battery charger to install in my rig. I would like to charge my house batteries this way. I know there are other ways of doing this but would like to keep it as simple as possible. Anyone doing it this way?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Check This First ...

Do you REALLY need a battery to battery charger? Perhaps not, if your alternator charges at 14v or higher. Consider this: http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/controllers.html N.B. a B2B is a form of alternator regulator.

If you REALLY want to go with a B2B, consider the CTEK 250 (http://smartercharger.com/products/dcdc/ctek-d250s-dual/) combined with a SmartPass. The Smart Pass is an intelligent relay which allows you to capture much higher amperage from your alternator by bypassing the B2B during the bulk charge stage, allowing you to charge at around 80A as opposed to the 20A from the B2B. http://smartercharger.com/products/dcdc/ctek-smartpass/

For most camper vans, with an alternator over 100A and and a battery bank over 200Ah, the "Large Service Battery" setup should work reasonably well: http://smartercharger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/manual-d250s-dual-and-smartpass.pdf

Do note the limitations: 20A charge through the 250, 80A maximum charge, and 20A charge through solar. Some vehicles (like mine) can achieve better results by using a high capacity intelligent relay and a larger solar controller. (Costs are lower as well.)

Whatever you decide, be ready to pay for some seriously large wiring, 50 to 100mm2, or it will not be worth the effort.

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
FWIW - The CTEK appears to have the advantage of being able to integrate solar AND alternator charging without the need of external wiring.

Jersey4x4

Adventurer
I have gone with the CTEK 250S on its own... mainly as I plan on topping the leisure battery up with an AC charger regularly

I live on a island and a average trip only lasts 15 minutes so ether battery will hardly get a charge

Once I out a bigger bank in the tub of the hilux I will introduce the smart pass but that won't be for a few years :)

nater

Adventurer
I have settled on the 250s with a smart pass added. The complete nature of the system, and generally good reports have encouraged me to move this direction. Also makes integrating shore power fairly easy once you add the smartpass.

dvorocks

Adventurer
After a little more research I was think of just adding a duel alternator to keep the house batteries charged. I figure a 100 amp alternator would allow me to run a 5000btu air conditioner while driving. I was going to have to ad a cab air conditioner and a charger. Now I will only be a adding an alternator where the ac compressor usually is.
I like simple and this seems to be the easiest solution

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
May not be worth the effort

What kind of vehicle are we talking about and how big a battery bank?

Adding a second alternator could be a lot of work especially as you would also need to set up some form of regulator. If you choose to go this way, check with local shops that cater to the head busting car stereo crowd as they do a lot of multiple alternator installs.

It might be much easier to simply replace your current alternator with a high output model. A quick search of the 'net will turn up any number of these which are simply plug and play. (And do replace the drive belt.)

An alternator in the 150-200A range, coupled with an intelligent relay and properly sized wiring is probably all you need, especially if you have a modern vehicle whose electrical system runs in the 14-15v range. And you can determine that with a voltmeter.

For any battery bank of under 200Ah or so, you will be hard pressed to sustain a charge rate of over 100A for very long.

Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Joe917

Explorer
I am using a Stirling 24v-12v battery to battery charger (40 amps at 12 volts). Very simple hook up, works great, highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger