Battery vent with hose barb retrofit????

bee

Observer
I would like to replace the standard vent caps on my 6v deep cycle lead acid batteries with ones that will vent into a hose, yet as far as I can tell they don't exist. Any ideas?

762X39

Explorer
Check with suppliers that deal with solar and wind power. Battery Miser caps might be what you want. They don't connect to a hose though. My batteries are situated such that they vent into the atmosphere. Are you using a battery box of some sort or are your batteries in the passenger compartment of your truck/trailer/living quarters?:coffee:

Last edited:

bee

Observer
Well I just made a box that vents outside for use inside the vehicle. It was a pain to construct though, and I don't really trust it to stay air tight, meaning I might have to redo it in the future. It would have been a lot easier to just stick a hose onto the vent like they do on cars that have the battery inside the passenger compartment.

In the future I was thinking about mounting batteries to the frame, but I was trying to come up with a way to heat them in the winter. The easiest way would be an air duct connnecting my heated interior to the battery box. However then I have to be able to vent the batteries via a hose or something.

Anyway it seems like one of the main reasons people go with agm batteries is the outgassing issue with lead acid, a simple vent cap barb would solve that, though I can't seem to find one sold. They have water maintenance caps with barbs but they do not vent through the barb as far as I can tell, though I have never seen them in real life.

They do have those caps with the catalyst in them, but are those effecient enough to allow indoor non vented use?

bee

Observer
I dont know what exactly your caps look like or how large etc.
But could it be possible to simply remove the caps, drill,tap & screw in a threaded plastic tubing connector ?

Your probably right, that might be the easiest solution. I am really surprised that they don't already exist. It is one of the major reasons people spend more money on AGMs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior