Battleship Jones: 2015 Tacoma DCLB Build Thread

Adventurous

Explorer
Awesome, interested to hear your thoughts with the icons up front.
Our setups are very different of course. But I do have the coilovers cranked a fair amount for 2.5" of lift. Still probably less than 2" of thread showing on the driver's side so not horrible. I have heavy sliders and a supercharger. Supercharger and fit kit probably add 85-100lbs all setup.
BUT with 2.5" lift I still have 3" of droop up front. Yes it will top out occasionally but rarely, and not nearly as harsh as bilstein 5100s have in IFS applications, which sounds to be similar to OME. If you only set them for 2" of lift, even without a sway bar, it should be a very good ride.

Don't feel too bad on spending the money. I'm fairly certain I'll be selling the truck and camper very soon, with the second kid on the way. But I'm having custom leaf springs made and bought a new intake recently. Might as well enjoy it right? ;)

It sounds like our setups are fairly similar. What I lack in in the supercharger up front and the camper in the back I make up for with steel skids + ARB + sliders. I'm looking forward to the ability to dial in the amount of lift up front. While it looks cool to be all lifted and stuff I'm realizing it's not all it's cracked up to be if you can't droop worth a damn.

Selling the truck already? Damn, that's unfortunate. Quigley E350 time? Or straighto to Earthroamer?

Adventurous

Explorer
On a side note, does anyone know of mounts or have a good way to carry a chainsaw with them on the roof rack? We quite often go camping where there is plenty of dead fall or dead soon to be fall, it would be nice to have unlimited firewood at my disposal.

MJCake1

On a side note, does anyone know of mounts or have a good way to carry a chainsaw with them on the roof rack? We quite often go camping where there is plenty of dead fall or dead soon to be fall, it would be nice to have unlimited firewood at my disposal.
What kind a rack?
Look at MCM Electronics website and search for case. They have Pelican type cases that are inexpensive and water tight. If you have a FrontRunner Slimline II rack type with you can drill holes to match the rails and bolt the case on the rack and latch and lock if when required to keep your chainsaw secure. Or if you have a different rack you could try ubolt or bars to attach.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Selling the truck already? Damn, that's unfortunate. Quigley E350 time? Or straighto to Earthroamer?

Not fully committed yet but pretty sure I will be selling it after baby is born. Just too small for an unorganized wife and two small kids. Doable sure, but trips would be a struggle and not so relaxing, especially when it's raining and stuff (all the time here). Not quigley but probably an E350 van build. Possibly a u joint 4x4 setup if I can budget it.

Adventurous

Explorer
As I posted earlier, I was meeting up with a guy to buy his ICONs this evening and the deal went smoothly. Ironically he swapped from the ICONs to some OMEs. To each his own I suppose.

Icon 1 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Anyway, I was too impatient so I decided to get them in there tonight. I was able to do the swap by myself in an hour and a half which included having to schlep everything out through the side door of the garage and around due to two broken torsion springs that don't allow the garage door to go up. C'est la vie. Everything came out smoothly and went back in smoothly. Fancy schmancies, yay!

Icon 2 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Anyway, like I thought, the preload will need to be upped to get the front end up. I'll have to take a picture in the daylight, but it is sitting pretty low at the moment. Might just need to remedy that with 700lb springs at some point here, but I'll monkey with the 650s to see if I can get them where I want them.

Ride around the block confirmed that they are just as plush and well controlled as I thought. I'll have to take a better spin and really hit some bumps but initial impressions are that they are very well controlled. They have very good rebound control and just feel like they provide a very plush ride. I like them very much so far and will report back when I have more time on them.

The guy I bought them from was unable to find the wrench to adjust the collars. Anyone have luck just using some metal bars of the right diameter to turn the adjustment collar?

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't have measurements but I can try to dig up my spanner wrench and try to measure. I felt like the end was tapered slightly.
The icon spanner wrench is roughly $28, available on Amazon too. The long (curved) end doesn't really work inside the coil bucket FYI.

Adventurous

Explorer
3/8", not tapered.

Perfect, thank you! I happen to have a 3/8" brass drift in the toolbox that should work just fine. Gonna head out and adjust them tomorrow, I probably only have about 2.5" of up travel at the moment but surprisingly the ride isn't so bad. I'll crank em down as much as possible until I can get some 700lb springs in there. I think that's the real answer to my problems.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Also measured that my driver's side coilover has 2 - 1/8" thread showing above the adjuster collar, again this is with 2.5" lift over stock. Really not sure if it would help to have a stiffer coil with less preload or what. I haven't experience any coil bind or anything negative. But I figured if I added more weight I would probably swap them out.

Adventurous

Explorer
Also measured that my driver's side coilover has 2 - 1/8" thread showing above the adjuster collar, again this is with 2.5" lift over stock. Really not sure if it would help to have a stiffer coil with less preload or what. I haven't experience any coil bind or anything negative. But I figured if I added more weight I would probably swap them out.

I'm sure know what you are doing, but, per their installation instructions, ICON does not recommend more than 1.13" of exposed threads for the 700lb springs (1.75" for the 650lbs). They warn against coil bind at preloads higher than that. Just FYI. I did my best to crank both up to the 1.75" of preload yesterday to get some additional lift out of them and was mostly successful. The PO boogered the adjustment collars and the 3/8" steel bars I had couldn't get a good grip. I'll have to replace those when I swap springs.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Icon use to tell you to preload the 650lb springs as much as you want. When I installed them they were recommending no more than 2". Haven't had a single issue or any sort of negative effect when fully compressing the suspension. I'm not sure if they've changed their recommendation lately or different people are suggesting different amounts.

I called and talked to them after adjusting. They didn't seem to have any issues with the numbers I gave them. I certainly have no complaints. If I did, I would have lowered them. For what it's worth my driver's side is cranked the most. Battery, fuel, and supercharger all on that side. The passenger side has less than 2" of thread showing. Both sides measure equal height at 2.5" taller than stock.

Dklein90

Loved the build. Getting married slowed down my truck building fun as well. Having a kid brought it to a stop. Fortunately I can live vicariously through others on the forums.. Someday I may be able to sneak some ICONs past the wife and hungry kid.

Adventurous

Explorer
Loved the build. Getting married slowed down my truck building fun as well. Having a kid brought it to a stop. Fortunately I can live vicariously through others on the forums.. Someday I may be able to sneak some ICONs past the wife and hungry kid.

Thanks! Despite vowing to cut back a bit I still have a few things in the works for this year.

Where in the Whites are you? Back when we lived near Boston the wife and I loved hanging out in and around that region of NH.

Dklein90

Where in the Whites are you? Back when we lived near Boston the wife and I loved hanging out in and around that region of NH.

I live in North Conway NH. Not much for off rd trails in this area but we do have many miles of dirt roads all throughout the north country.

Congrats to the Broncos, I look forward to watching them in the Super Bowl. I've been a Broncos fan since I was a little kid. I spent my early childhood in LaPort just outside of Fort Collins. I'm always a little torn when I watch the Patriots play the Broncos. If you have to watch your local team loose, it might as well be to your childhood heroes. I met John Elway once, I'll never forget it.

I really like your truck. I just bought a 2015 dclb sport with 6500 miles. I haven't done much to it yet, my wife is a little to practical to understand mods. I slid in the TRD exhaust as part of the sale (she wasn't impressed). Maybe if I add a half an inch to the suspension each year I can get to 3 inches under the wife's radar.

Really it's a good thing she keeps me in check, otherwise I would have a truck like yours and no money to buy beer.

Adventurous

Explorer
Icon use to tell you to preload the 650lb springs as much as you want. When I installed them they were recommending no more than 2". Haven't had a single issue or any sort of negative effect when fully compressing the suspension. I'm not sure if they've changed their recommendation lately or different people are suggesting different amounts.

I called and talked to them after adjusting. They didn't seem to have any issues with the numbers I gave them. I certainly have no complaints. If I did, I would have lowered them. For what it's worth my driver's side is cranked the most. Battery, fuel, and supercharger all on that side. The passenger side has less than 2" of thread showing. Both sides measure equal height at 2.5" taller than stock.

Interesting. I contacted them to see what they would recommend for a setup and they replied with the following:

"Our maximum recommended preload setting for those coilovers is 1.75” of threads showing above the adjuster nut. So at this point I think that upgrading to the 700 pound coils would probably be your best bet. With the new coils your baseline preload setting will be .25” of threads showing with a max setting of 1.13”."

That said, I'll be purchasing some 700lb coils in the near future. Probably going to get King branded ones because they are blue and I'm vain. That and they are ~$40 a coil cheaper, so it's a practical vain-ness. Now to prepare myself for the joys of working with a spring compressor...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger