Battleship Jones: 2015 Tacoma DCLB Build Thread

Adventurous

Explorer
So it would appear that after multiple trips to their facility over the past few weeks the guys at ToyTec know me by name. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. :sombrero:

I was able to exchange my OME rear shocks for a set of Icon 2.0 non-reservoir no fuss. I still have not heard back from ARB about the fitment issues I was having.

At first glance you can tell that they are a quality product. Even the packaging that they come in is quality. It's nice to see that for a relatively small premium over the OME shocks I get a made in the USA product.

They are super beefy compared to the stock shocks. The shock body is bigger, the rubber bumpers are massive, and they feel light as a feather. I was hoping that their inverted design would work well on my truck.

20141104-P1010233 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Given that I have taken the shocks on and off of this truck what feels like a billion times over the past few days it took perhaps 5 minutes per shock to get these in place. The install was straight forward and required a minimum of tools.

14mm wrench (to remove stock shock top bolt)
17mm wrench (to remove bottom bolt which is reused)
19mm wrench (to tighten Icon top nut)

Things line up just perfectly this time. I cannot say whether or not the inverted design allowed me to manipulate them a little bit more than the OME shocks or what, but they went in no problem. They look pretty ************ on the truck.

20141104-P1010235 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

20141104-P1010236 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Overall feel is pretty impressive. First ride impressions, using what I remember of the OME rear shocks, have the Icons as more sensitive and don't hop as much over speedbumps and the like. Of course that's not entirely an apples to apples comparison as my last truck had the AAL on a non-TSB leaf pack whereas this one is utilizing a brand new Dakar pack.

I am rather pleased right now with the Icon swap. Had I known things were going to go this direction I probably would have matched them with a set of Icons up front too. Oh well. Perhaps that something for later on down the line.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
In other news I tackled the clanking noise I had in the front end around sharp corners with suspension compression that appeared after lifting. I had a feeling it was the struts contacting the sway bar as I did not use a sway bar drop bracket during the lift install. Turns out I was correct, the paint chipping off the sway bar told the whole story. Having already removed the sway bar from my last truck, I thought experience would guide me this time into a quick job. WRONG.

For those of you who have never removed the sway bar before, good luck. It sucks. It's a straight pain in the *** no matter how you tackle it and while I wish I had some words of advice, I don't.

On the plus side it got ride of that clank I was experiencing and there does not seem to be a significant difference in ride quality without it. I think the 886 coils are stiff enough to provide enough control during maneuvering to compensate. Overall I am pleased and don't see any reason at this point in time to put it back on.

Adventurous

Explorer
I also ordered up a piece of aluminum to fabricate the auxiliary fuse block/breaker bracket. I'm hoping to tackle that at some point this upcoming weekend. This time around I'll leave ample room on the top surface for a dual battery controller (future mod).

Parts are also in hand to do the differential breather extension. On my last truck I routed it up near the gas cap but am not certain I want to go the same route this time. Suggestions on where to put it? Behind the tail light bulkhead seems to be a pretty good option...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Be sure to check the suspension under full compression as well, to ensure that the shock body doesn't contact the axle.

SigNewt

Welcome to the neighborhood, seemd to be a bunch of Toyota peeps around these parts. I am Westy near 120th and Sheridan. We should have a Toy meet at Big Choice sometime soon.

Adventurous

Explorer
Be sure to check the suspension under full compression as well, to ensure that the shock body doesn't contact the axle.

Most definitely. I also have to check to make sure my brake lines are long enough as they appeared to be getting a little bit too taut for my comfort.

Welcome to the neighborhood, seemd to be a bunch of Toyota peeps around these parts. I am Westy near 120th and Sheridan. We should have a Toy meet at Big Choice sometime soon.

Hell yea! I'm still pretty new to the area/scene so it would be great to meet a few other people. I'm at 108th and Wads.

Adventurous

Explorer
Well, post lift and I'm still sorting through the various noises that got introduced to the system. The dakar spring packs appear to creak/groan during compression and I still (post sway bar removal) have a clunk up front. A little investigating tonight showed me that the LCA bolts were not torqued to spec so I tightened those up.

That didn't solve my woes. I began torquing all other bolts in my suspension and came across a small conundrum. Light Racing recommends that you torque the castle nut to 45 ft*lbs and tighten a little more to get the cotter pin in. Toyota recommends you torque the castle nut to 80 some odd ft*lbs. What did everyone else running this same combo torque the castle nut to? I tried tightening it up some to bring it more in line with Toyota specs and the noises seem to have dissipated. I'll report back tomorrow after I drive to work.

Adventurous

Explorer
1st tank through after the lift & tires got a combined 18.35 mpg, so about a 2 mpg drop overall. Not too shabby I'd say.

Adventurous

Explorer
And the official response from ARB regarding the rear shocks not fitting

"I don't see an option at this point other than modifying the mounts on your truck slightly for clearance. I'm going to try to get my hands on a 2015 truck and see if I can determine what has changed on the mounts to make our shocks not fit anymore. It appears maybe they moved the bolt hole towards the axle a bit."

Just as an FYI for all the 2015 model year guys that run into this problem, an inverted shock, such as Icons, will fit.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Most definitely. I also have to check to make sure my brake lines are long enough as they appeared to be getting a little bit too taut for my comfort.

Hell yea! I'm still pretty new to the area/scene so it would be great to meet a few other people. I'm at 108th and Wads.

88th and Wads here. I drive north every morning for work, so hopefully we'll see each other on the road.

Big Choice is a frequent spot for me, be fun to meet up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior