Battleship Jones: 2015 Tacoma DCLB Build Thread

Adventurous

Explorer
Did you ever get your tires sipped? Still suck in the snow? And I missed it but you have the 255/85/16s? The "skinny 33's"?

I have not done the tire sipping yet, but my experience yesterday illustrated to me how badly I need to have it done. I'm sure that any of the Denver area guys can attest that the weather yesterday was some special sort of awful. Due to the snow my 15 mile commute took me 2.5 hours to get home and the downhills were downright scary. I just couldn't stop; good thing I'm a cautious driver who likes to leave lots of space between myself and the next car. And yes, they are 255/85R16s.

Adventurous

Explorer
*RANT*

Are there any marine wiring places out there that aren't terrible? The order I placed with West Marine was sent to the wrong address (zip code auto-populates a different town, however, they had the correct address on file) then when I complained, they sent the SECOND package to the wrong address again. Seriously?!?!

Then the order I placed with BestBoatWire.com arrived in a timely fashion, yet, it was missing one of the items. Why oh why...

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I have not done the tire sipping yet, but my experience yesterday illustrated to me how badly I need to have it done. I'm sure that any of the Denver area guys can attest that the weather yesterday was some special sort of awful. Due to the snow my 15 mile commute took me 2.5 hours to get home and the downhills were downright scary. I just couldn't stop; good thing I'm a cautious driver who likes to leave lots of space between myself and the next car. And yes, they are 255/85R16s.

So weird how some people have such bad experience with km2s in snow. They worked well for me (not siped) on my f150 on solid ice. And even better on the JK (siped). Sure there are better tires for snow and ice but even running steep icy/snowy trails I never had issues. Siping them will no doubt be a help though.

tunernewb92

If all goes to plan (which its life so inevitably it will not) I will be moving from Williston, ND to Denver in 2016. So I would like to have tires on my truck that handle fine in the snow. I'm not a big fan of the Duratracs but it may be the only way to go. If the KM2's sipped do fine then I may also go that route. I do want to get the "pizza cutters" as they call them though.

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Try Greg's Marine Wire...I used them when I built my Sprinter Van and they were awesome! You have a great build going!!

Adventurous

Explorer
So I had a chance this morning to revisit the auxiliary fuse panel and breaker that I had been working on before with the thought of actually starting to run some wires and get power to my accessories. I had previously cut out the base panel and drilled all the holes to mount the breaker and fuse panel but that was as far as I got. Today I fabbed up the support, test fitted, cut some more, test fitted, cut some more a few times to make sure everything fit in the space just fine. So without further commentary, lets get into it!

I have seen several ways of making a support for the cantilevered end of the panel with some people running it down to the bolt holding the OEM fuse box to the fender. I chose to utilize the bolt attaching the breathers as a means to attach the support to the truck. Given that it is slightly offset from the center line of the panel project, I had to do a bit more manipulation of the support to get the proper angles on it. In the end I came up with this.

20150124-P1010278 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

A little bit of massaging with the angle grinder and flap disk to round off corners and remove burrs and I put it in the engine bay.

20150124-P1010282 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

First test fit of the panel didn't give adequate clearance with the brake fluid reservoir. It was close, but I didn't really want to risk repeated vibrations wearing a hole in the plastic. So I busted out the jig saw and angle grinder and trimmed things up nicely.

20150124-P1010281 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

And back in the engine bay! Bolted everything up and the assembly is pretty darn solid.

20150124-P1010283 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Meanwhile I got started on some battery cables for the whole shebang. I couldn't justify spending $200 for a good hydraulic lug crimper, so I ended up trying out a $20 hammer type crimper from Amazon. I will say that I am pretty impressed with the crimps it laid down.

20150124-P1010287 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Now unfortunately one of the missing items from my recent order was the red colored expandable braided sheathing. Call me crazy but I wanted red sheathing and heat shrink for the hot cables, and black/black for the ground. So it will be a few days before I can get the hot cables done, but I was able to put the finishing touches on the ground. All junctions use marine adhesive heat shrink for additional protection.

20150124-P1010289 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the switches in cab. I would like to utilize the current blank holes in the dash to house at least some of the lights to minimize the amount of cutting I have to do. Way I figure, I'll have a maximum of 7 or so switches (some day that is). Oh well, that's a problem for another day.

Last edited:

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Re: mounting switches: I'm planning to fabricate a switch panel that goes in the junk holder in the bottom of the center stack. I only use it to hold a spare charger for the GF and some pens and crap anyway. Might be able to hold your seven or so switches in that area.

Adventurous

Explorer
Where did you pick up all the supplies to make those cables?

The cables, braided sheathing, lugs, terminals, and butt connectors came from West Marine and BestBoatWire.com.

The lug crimper and insulated terminal crimper both came from Amazon. I got the following ones

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X51S00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069TRKJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both have proven to be quality tools and I would have no problem recommending them over their spendier alternatives.

Love your new CB setup! Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Got a coax cable coming this week so hopefully I should be able to route that and power to the CB shortly.

Re: mounting switches: I'm planning to fabricate a switch panel that goes in the junk holder in the bottom of the center stack. I only use it to hold a spare charger for the GF and some pens and crap anyway. Might be able to hold your seven or so switches in that area.

This guy (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/352289-switch-panel-gb.html) was making some pretty nice looking switch panels like what you are describing. Too bad the group buy ended before I was able to get in on it or else I probably would have put them all there. Oh well. Where possible I'd love to put them in the dash to retain that space for my CB radio.

Adventurous

Explorer
Nice build, you really are making good progress. I'm on Wads near I 70, seems like several of us in this general vicinity, we should have a mini meet-up.

Hell yea! It seems like there are a ton of Toyota guys on this particular forum that all live in the Westminster area. I would most certainly be up for a meet up some time.

If all goes to plan (which its life so inevitably it will not) I will be moving from Williston, ND to Denver in 2016. So I would like to have tires on my truck that handle fine in the snow. I'm not a big fan of the Duratracs but it may be the only way to go. If the KM2's sipped do fine then I may also go that route. I do want to get the "pizza cutters" as they call them though.

I'm going to try and get my truck in the shop this week to get the tires siped. Of course the Front Range gets snow infrequently, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but if you intend to head up into the hills often, you would be better off getting them siped or even having a set of winter wheels.

Try Greg's Marine Wire...I used them when I built my Sprinter Van and they were awesome! You have a great build going!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I need to order a few more supplies, perhaps I'll check them out. And thanks for the compliments!

Adventurous

Explorer
The electrical fun continued today. I made it my goal to get the relay mounted, the wiring harness extended, and the switch hooked up and mounted in the cab. So with that being said, here we go!

The relay was a piece of cake to mount. As much as I would have preferred to make a mounting block for it so I didn't have to drill into the fender, I couldn't see any way of making a good mount for it that would have been worth the effort. So out came the self drilling sheet metal screw. In it goes! I hit the bare metal with a little bit of primer, a quick spray of dark grey gloss enamel, then remounted the relay. Nice.

20150125-P1010295 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

After that it was onto the other side of the vehicle to extend the ARB wiring harness. This part of the process proved to be a little bit more difficult as it appears the wiring harness uses a thinly insulated 8 gauge wire. What I had on hand happened to be a rather thickly insulated 8 gauge marine cable. Despite the mismatch, I was able to get it all to work with a little bit of brute force. See, there seems to be a bit of a gap in the tools that I have been able to find. I found a crimper for 10 gauge and smaller cables, and a lug crimper for 6 gauge and larger cables, but no crimper for 8 gauge. I'm sure one exists, but it seemed foolish to get a tool for that express purpose. So I improvised by using the 10 gauge side of my ratcheting crimpers and squeezing til I almost crapped my pants. It took a ton to get the 8 gauge butt connectors set. But in the end I managed to get a good enough crimp to where a hefty tug on it did not yield.

20150124-P1010291 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

While the joint was already sealed on accounts of the heat shrink butt connector I added another piece of heat shrink on top for good measure and to make things look nice and clean.

20150124-P1010292 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

A simple couple of screws later and tada! The second black wire you see going to the negative terminal from the ARB harness is an additional ground wire used during a dual battery set up.

20150124-P1010294 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

As the positive cable is already fused over by the compressor, I don't need another fuse at the power block. Now came time to run the in-cab portion of the wiring harness.

Disassembly of the interior is pretty straight forward. The first piece to come up is the sill panel. It simple pulls straight up.

20150125-P1010300 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Next you can remove the dummy pedal by giving it a good solid yank.

20150125-P1010301 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Remove the little black nut holding down the edge of the kick panel then pull it towards the back of the vehicle. There are two clips along the side to disengage then you should be able to access the wiring loom behind.

20150125-P1010302 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Now comes the fun part. In order to run the wires out of the cab I decided to go through the main firewall grommet. This meant poking a hole. A quick jab with a screw driver and I now have said hole.

20150125-P1010296 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Tape your wires to the tip of the screwdriver, line it up with the hole you previously made, and give it a good push.

20150125-P1010297 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

After fishing it out from under the dash I hooked up the quick connector and then plugged that into the in-cab wiring harness.

20150125-P1010303 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Now here is where I deviated a little bit from the ARB recommendations. There are two wires coming off the wiring harness, one intended to be run to the ignition, the other to a dimming circuit to the control the switch brightness. As I want the potential to run the compressor with the truck off (mainly for airing up bicycle tires), I chose to extend the power wire and run it back through the firewall where I will hook it up to the fuse block. Once again, crimped heat shrink butt connector + marine heat shrink gives me a solid, sealed connection.

20150125-P1010304 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

For ease of mounting I chose to put it in the black slot between the traction control and the RSCA switches. They are pretty easy to access, open that little cubby beneath and pull out towards you. This should allow you to reach up and push the blank switch out. You'll be left looking at something like this.

20150125-P1010305 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Looking at the two switches side by side, it is evident that the Carling style ARB switch is significantly wider than the Toyota switches.

20150125-P1010306 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

That, my friends, means that some material needs to be removed from the dash. As always, when opening up the hole, go slow and test fit often. I used a combination of a file and a utility knife to carve away at the sides until I could push the switch in with some resistance. The post-trim hole looks like such.

20150125-P1010308 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Snake the wiring harness up behind the dash and pull the 5 wires through the blank slot.

20150125-P1010307 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Hook them up to the right terminals per ARB's wiring diagram and you can reinstall the switch and the rest of the panels you removed while running the wires. You'll be left with a clean looking install.

20150125-P1010309 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

I dare say I'm pretty pleased with the end result. Now to get busy wiring up the Hellas up front and the CB radio.

Last edited:

jsnow

Adventurer
Love the build so far. Just a quick note on the rear shocks, I've always had better luck installing the top mount first, then the lower mount. You want to make sure the lower mounts are torqued with the weight of the vehicle on the ground, or else the bushings may fail prematurely.

Adventurous

Explorer
Well, there's a good reason why I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electrical one. After having to bust out the multimeter and troubleshoot why the compressor was not working it turns out that the Blue Sea fuse block won't power a circuit unless it has a fuse. So regardless of my down the line fuse I had to add one at the block to get things to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78