BDS lift kit

Nikson

Explorer
My gut says that if you're going with OME springs I'd go with the OME shocks.

I liked my bilstien 5100s before I killed them. Really like my QA1s, but that's probably overkill.

for the most part... everyone i talked to who had OME shocks... said they were the best they ever had...

Nikson

Explorer
I had this very discussion on another site a while back.

Consensus is that trail only trucks, most go with the Bilsteins (they're harsher). For DD or weekend warrior offroading, the OMEs are much smoother and even (as in cushier) making them a good choice overall for tarmac and offroad (they can take abuse). So for mostly tarmac, they deliver a smooth ride, but if you want to venture off into the wilderness, they're up to it.

I have OMEs and they're solid and smooth. They're not soft, just a consistent, even compression rate from extended to compressed.

I've hit potholes at 70-80 KMH (5" lift DPG/RE hybrid on 32s) and they didn't throw me off the line.

Also, I'm sure you know this, but running 35s would mean tarmac only. On 32s, with a true 5" of lift, I rip my fender flares off on the trails (no fender cutting).

sorry, but I dont know what TARMAC means... :( (russian in me) :)

gasman

Adventurer
what size tires do you run?

what type of driving you mostly do? (offroad & trails or daily driver & lots of highway?)

i was running procomp exterains in the 33x12.50 flavour, 4.88 gears and locked in the rear, i went to 35;s and regretted that,
the rig was my daily driver /weekend warrior, most of the good trails are 3 to 4 hours away and i was up there every couple of weekends, the rig would go anywhere i wanted it to go , 110 kph on the highway max, i just recently sold it with 380,000 kms and the guy who bought it plans on daily driving it and weekends to his cottage, ,

Nikson

Explorer
TARMAC= ashpalt..( on the road)

Got it... well, mostly around here, I end up taking asphalt roads about 1-2 hours (depending on where I go)... and then mostly gravel (washboard type) roads... with some rock crawling here or there.

This XJ will be a daily driver for most part, but definitely plan to take it to MOAB and also up for a trip to Alaska wilderness...

so if you look at the overall pictures, I need to set it up good for 70% onroad / 30% offroad use +/-.

Being a daily driver, it dont see much of pavement either, just running errands here and there, since it is my second (weekend) vehicle.

thanks for feedback,

gunselman

FYI. BDS does offer their 4 link front a la carte. If you are a member on www.jeepforum.com they have a discount in the vender section for members. You can also get it without the arms if you choose to make your own. The directions to mount the kit can be found online so locating the crossmember is doable very easily.

This is the route i am going. I will be making my arms out of heat treated aluminum hex bar stock or round stock.

alosix

Expedition Leader
FYI. BDS does offer their 4 link front a la carte. If you are a member on www.jeepforum.com they have a discount in the vender section for members. You can also get it without the arms if you choose to make your own. The directions to mount the kit can be found online so locating the crossmember is doable very easily.

This is the route i am going. I will be making my arms out of heat treated aluminum hex bar stock or round stock.

That's good to know. I'd be tempted to use the front uppers, though they are at kind of an odd geometry on the TJ. I know why they did it, but its still a little odd.

I think there's a little more room between the rails to work with on a TJ though, you can see much longer upper arms in that kit.

Nikson

Explorer

After being on the phone for almost an hour with Clayton himself from Clayton's Offroad... and hearing lots of positive feedback from the actual users, I think that I am going to go ahead with their kit.

$1999 w/free shipping - is a great price for a 4 1/2 long arm kit with bulletproof lifetime warranty.

I guess I will take that trial & error path, and try out and see how this kit will work out on my next project.

I just picked today another XJ, so now i've got 2 of them - a 2dr & a 4 dr.

The plan for the 4dr is to get the coil conversion done.
============================
4 wheel drive parts has offered me a good deal on the axle builts...

D30/Ford 8.8 - EATON E-Lockers / 4.88 gears & installation for around $2500...

gunselman

Is that price for the kit with springs? I know the BDS long arm kit is significantly cheaper without the springs.

Also poly performance makes a 3 link and a 4 link for cherokees.

Nikson

Explorer
Is that price for the kit with springs? I know the BDS long arm kit is significantly cheaper without the springs.

Also poly performance makes a 3 link and a 4 link for cherokees.

That price is with springs, but shocks are not included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179