Beadlock wheels

otiswesty

Regular guy
If its a beadlock, you are unlikely to break the bead from running too wide a tire.
Buy the tire you want and mount it up.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
They came from military vehicles, so i have no idea.

That is a narrow wheel. I'm pretty sure that the rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 inches wider than the rim. That would limit you to 9.5-10 tops. I think that is around a 255 or 265 wide tire max.

Arvinc

That is a narrow wheel. I'm pretty sure that the rule of thumb is no more than 3-4 inches wider than the rim. That would limit you to 9.5-10 tops. I think that is around a 255 or 265 wide tire max.

I was hoping to get a 265 75 16 tire on there. That would be slightly over 10" width; perhaps it would be wiser to step down to the 255?

MTVR

Tire manufacturers specify acceptable rim widths, not wheel manufacturers specifying acceptable tire widths.

And I don't know if you're going to find a tire manufacturer that lists 6.5" as an acceptable rim width for a 265/75R16 tire...

Arvinc

Tire manufacturers specify acceptable rim widths, not wheel manufacturers specifying acceptable tire widths.

And I don't know if you're going to find a tire manufacturer that lists 6.5" as an acceptable rim width for a 265/75R16 tire...

Will definitely look this up, i guess i would have to get one with a very strong sidewall.

Arvinc

There are many 235/85R16E tires out there. They will likely be quite happy on the rims you have.

To get an idea of Tire-MFG minimum rim width, you could look through the Duratrac tire sizes https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac/sizes-specs

That should get you started.

Just to reference what Otiswesty said, given that these are beadlocks, would these tire specs be 100% applicable; or could perhaps be used as a baseline and stretch it a bit?

1000arms

Awesome, thanks.
Just to reference what Otiswesty said, given that these are beadlocks, would these tire specs be 100% applicable; or could perhaps be used as a baseline and stretch it a bit?
You are welcome.

Many tire places won't mount tires to rims that are out of the MFG's rim range. The warranty, if any, might not be honored, even if a tire place does mount them, or if someone does the mounting himself/herself. Tires can wear unevenly and have poor handling characteristics on-road. It may be illegal depending on where one lives.

Why do you want to run wider tires?

What vehicle will you mount them on?

Will this vehicle be used only off-road, only on-road, or both on-road and off-road?

What is the stock tire size?

MTVR

I see load range "E" tires being mentioned. I don't know that the G-Wagen came with 10-ply tires, but I can tell you that installing 10-ply tires on a light-duty vehicle can seriously degrade the ride quality...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12