Bear, our 2016 JKUR

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Its been a while since I've updated.
After 6 years and 80k miles, it was time to finally update the worn out and rusting OEM rubicon shocks.
I took out the spring and shock spacers and put in a complete AEV 2.5" Suspension with Geometry Correction Brackets and it is a night and day difference!
First off, the geo brackets smoothed out the Jeep's response over hard bumps like uneven pavement by putting the front axle motion back in alignment. Second, the Bilstein shocks and AEV springs drastically transformed the handling! It's stiffer but so much smoother if that makes sense. No roll, no dive, and no needing to use the bathroom after a bumpy commute; it's awesome!
BaWOqoa.jpg
I built up the trailer you see above last spring as well for our family & friends trip to Colorado. it worked perfectly hauling all our gear. The suspension didn't even notice the extra load.

All the updates made our travels throughout the mountains Animas Forks, Ophir Pass, and Imogene so much better than expected.
DSC_0732 Compressed.jpg
OEYDXyv.jpg
Still loving this Jeep after 7 years.

Last edited:

AggieOE

Wanted to also note in this thread these awesome door bins I've been running for a couple years now.

The first front set I bought just clipped in and would pop out with any ounce of internal pressure. These new ones though actually screw into the screw holes already there and have held up great over the last two years! I kept the net behind them too for added organization still. Maps fit there great with water bottle.
IMG_9643.jpg

The back ones are the more standard snap in ones and they actually work real well. No issues yet. They hold my kids wipes and toys easily.
IMG_9644.jpg

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
What size and make of tire are you running in those pics? I really like the look with the factory wheels, I assume you have some spacers?

AggieOE

What size and make of tire are you running in those pics? I really like the look with the factory wheels, I assume you have some spacers?

1.5" SpiderTrax Spacers & 287/75/17 E-Rated BFG KO2s.
Going forward, I want to try 1.25" spacers to get a little more of the tire under the fender (although it only sticks out <0.5"). Hopefully, it'll clear.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
1.5" SpiderTrax Spacers & 287/75/17 E-Rated BFG KO2s.
Going forward, I want to try 1.25" spacers to get a little more of the tire under the fender (although it only sticks out <0.5"). Hopefully, it'll clear.
Duh, I should have looked closer at the tread pattern, those are obviously KO2's! I've got the exact tires on my JKU with AEV saltas and my only complaint is that they throw mud on the side of the Jeep when it's wet out. I've gone to running Falken wildpeak AT3w in 285/70r17 on Gladiator steel wheels in the winter. The 6" backspacing means they're tight but they just clear with my lift.

MGTexas

Nice thread. We have the same Jeep. Even the color. I’ve got a bit more add ons and they get heavy quick. My tire and wheel package is the 295/70r17 cooper evolutions on AEV WHEELS.

AggieOE

Duh, I should have looked closer at the tread pattern, those are obviously KO2's! I've got the exact tires on my JKU with AEV saltas and my only complaint is that they throw mud on the side of the Jeep when it's wet out. I've gone to running Falken wildpeak AT3w in 285/70r17 on Gladiator steel wheels in the winter. The 6" backspacing means they're tight but they just clear with my lift.

Yeah, I've considered adding some small mudflaps. I just don't know if I can get around the look of them.

AggieOE

Finally did something I've been wanting to do for a while, remove the "Wrangler Unlimited" decals on the sides.
IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9682.jpg

I think it looks a lot cleaner and simpler since everyone knows its a Wrangler and the Unlimited title really only meant something on the old LJs.

AggieOE

I wanted to add this here too. Although it isn't really a modification, on our Colorado trip last year we decided to try out living out of these bins for our clothes, toiletries, toddler stuff, diapers, etc. and it worked awesome! Everything is much more accessible and organized. All of our camping gear goes in the trailer, including the cooler.

IMG_0510.jpg

I initially wanted to look at permanent storage but the useability of this was hard to pass up. It weighs nothing, costs nothing, and doesn't look that out of place. When the trip is over, it comes out and I have an open cargo area again.

AggieOE

I replaced the OEM fenders with some new ones and installed a 'new-to-me' AEV rear bumper! This thing is leagues better than the stock plastic OEM one and matches the OEM fenders perfectly. I couldn't be happier.
IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1031.jpg

I had gone back and forth on what to do on the rear end for years, leaning mostly to doing a bumper delete with tow points then integrated into the frame but... full coverage and a near OEM look really tipped me over the edge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior