Because kids don't remember their best day watching TV...

James86004

Expedition Leader
The Arizona Game and Fish Department had a billboard in Tucson recently showing kids holding fish up with the title "Because kids don't remember their best day watching TV..."

I think it is an awesome ad, and at the last family gathering I brought it up. Everyone agreed except the husband of my sister-in-law, who stated, "I remember my best day watching TV, it was this, blah blah blah blah blah!"

Sigh.

My best day watching TV was in a bar in Costa Rica.... World Cup and Costa Rica was winning.

I hate football.

BUT, I think that was an exceptional day watching TV....:sombrero:

James86004

Expedition Leader
My best day watching TV was in a bar in Costa Rica.... World Cup and Costa Rica was winning.

I hate football.

BUT, I think that was an exceptional day watching TV....:sombrero:

I would have to say that would be exceptional.

Anyway, here is the ad. I posted it on Facebook and my sister responded her best day of watching TV was when Voltron came on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FishingRegulations 1.jpg
    FishingRegulations 1.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 321

4 play

Observer
I have 4 children. 2 of them where raised on TV and video games. The twins are all about the out doors. They have me driving them down every dirt road looking for a new fishing whole just about every week end.

I have 4 children. 2 of them where raised on TV and video games. The twins are all about the out doors. They have me driving them down every dirt road looking for a new fishing whole just about every week end.

Thats good! My daughter would rather be in the back yard playing with the dogs or coloring on the sidewalk than watching TV. She has no idea who Hannah Montana is.... but we will watch spongebob every once in a while!

ozarkroozer

Observer
The first long term study by the AMA on the effects of TV on children developmentally was reported on 2 years ago. It should be common knowledge for new parents but of course nobody wants to take that kind of effort raising their children "sarcasm". Basically it states your kid should not watch TV for the first 3 years of their life and then on a limited basis after that. The deal is your brain is still developing in those 3 years. The brain is a wonderfully adaptive organ that uses stimuli to construct reality. Basically if you sit your kid in front of the TV your brain says "this is real" I must adapt to this. Well of course the kind of fast paced movement and editing on Tv is not like real life so when a child is faced with real life circumstances they cant cope, concentrate or focus. Some call it A.D.D.. As an educator it is difficult to teach these students and they are equally as frustrated. I can go on and on but I wont. In part its not just a question of kids, young adults, adults not appreciating the beauty all around them because of media addiction, but parents are actually damaging their children by what I can only describe as lazy parenting. Now, by being on this forum you already know the benefits of fresh air and the open road but maybe this can be some ammunition for you to enlighten others less enlightened.

Patman

Explorer
The first long term study by the AMA on the effects of TV on children developmentally was reported on 2 years ago. It should be common knowledge for new parents but of course nobody wants to take that kind of effort raising their children "sarcasm". Basically it states your kid should not watch TV for the first 3 years of their life and then on a limited basis after that.

Do you have a link to this study? I'd be very interested in reading it.

If there was a difference in supervised viewing vs. Boobtube babysitting, etc. Content would also be interesting. Pokemon vs. Planet Earth?

I joke that my 2 year old is allergic to the indoors, but will admit to sitting down with her infront of the box too much. Still less then most of my friends kids.

ozarkroozer

Observer
Do you have a link to this study? I'd be very interested in reading it.

If there was a difference in supervised viewing vs. Boobtube babysitting, etc. Content would also be interesting. Pokemon vs. Planet Earth?

I joke that my 2 year old is allergic to the indoors, but will admit to sitting down with her infront of the box too much. Still less then most of my friends kids.

I'll try and put my finger on it. I may have a copy in my office I can scan, we were given the highlights of the study as a part of a seminar on the future of education in the classroom. My understanding is that it doesn't have any thing to do with content, wholly. The way the images are presented is a big part but also the mechanics of how a picture is projected on the screen itself is a factor. So something even a slow as "sunrise earth" or "baby Einstein" (which of course studies have proven no educational value) would still be detrimental to brain development.

James86004

Expedition Leader
When I was working and my wife was in grad school, there was probably a little too much TV babysitting in our house. Fortunately our kid actually ignored it a lot of the time and played with toys. Now she is 9 and she watches maybe 2 hours a week. Her favorite network is the Food Network, which we don't get any more, so every time we are in a hotel she is glued to the TV.

My 4-year-old nephew has a 42 inch TV in his room. When I read ozarkroozer's post, I couldn't believe it. It describes my nephew very well.

Paladin

Banned
The first long term study by the AMA on the effects of TV on children developmentally was reported on 2 years ago. It should be common knowledge for new parents but of course nobody wants to take that kind of effort raising their children "sarcasm". Basically it states your kid should not watch TV for the first 3 years of their life and then on a limited basis after that. The deal is your brain is still developing in those 3 years. The brain is a wonderfully adaptive organ that uses stimuli to construct reality. Basically if you sit your kid in front of the TV your brain says "this is real" I must adapt to this. Well of course the kind of fast paced movement and editing on Tv is not like real life so when a child is faced with real life circumstances they cant cope, concentrate or focus. Some call it A.D.D.. As an educator it is difficult to teach these students and they are equally as frustrated. I can go on and on but I wont. In part its not just a question of kids, young adults, adults not appreciating the beauty all around them because of media addiction, but parents are actually damaging their children by what I can only describe as lazy parenting. Now, by being on this forum you already know the benefits of fresh air and the open road but maybe this can be some ammunition for you to enlighten others less enlightened.

I dunno.

My kid watched probably too much TV, but anybody would be hard pressed to say he was intellectually harmed by it. At 4 years old, he's fluently billingual, in the top of his class at school despite being a "baby" born on Dec 27th, knows more about the world than I did, excels in math and reading, and his behaviour is now better than some kids who've been enrolled in intensive education (Montessouri, now private school).

I do think that WHAT you watch on TV makes a big difference.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I refuse to pay for TV, and once free TV made the jump from analog to digital I just said screw it and haven't watched TV since.

My son didn't see any kind of show until he was just over two years old when we bought him a DVD of classic Sesame Street.
Since then we have started letting him watch Disney, Looney Toons, and a few other videos, but never more than one hour or one full movie per day with many days of nothing at all.
He just turned three and the kid has a memory like a video camera. He can memorize/repeat pretty much anything he sees and hears. We were having trouble keeping up a fast enough learning pace, so we tossed his little butt into pre-school while he was still two and he eats it up.
I fully intend to retire and mooch off him as soon as possible.

No idea if the TV thing was a big part of why he is how he is, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Not only because he wasn't stuck in front of the boob tube, but because his mom and I weren't either, so we had more time to play with him and teach him instead of ignoring him while watching our favorite program or some game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman