Bed Drawer Questions

Ala5ka

VX'er
I am considering a bed drawer build, but I'm not sure if I can justify the cost. I wanted to let the Expo community persuade me in either direction. What questions should I be asking? What are the upsides/downsides. I have some preconceived notions, but I am trying to be as objective as possible.

Snagger

Explorer
Assuming you live in Alaska, as per your avatar, then I can see why you want to be able to sleep in the vehicle.

Before I make any comments, I would need to know what vehicle and interior configuration you have and how many people you want to be able to sleep (I'd otherwise assume two).

You would need to consider what materials to make it from - steel frames and side skins with aluminium tops would be the strongest and possibly lighter than the thick ply alternatives, but would also tend to sap heat away from your bedding and is more expensive and difficult to build.

You also need to let us know whether the vehicle will be a dedicated camper or will be a multi-purpose vehicle that has to allow rapid removal of the system or easy reconfiguration for carriage of other passengers or goods.

I'm looking forward to this discussion and your project, because it's an interesting puzzle. i have several ideas on how I'd do my 109 for different criteria, but I'm limited by it having to fulfil many roles.

Ala5ka

VX'er
well I move from Alaska, to Arizona, to California quite regularly. I have an 02 F150 that I'm building for overlanding. I sleep in it alone or with a friend. I would like to get to my food/tools/recovery equipment/medical as quick as possible. I don't need it to be light because I have a heavy vehicle. I toot the plunge and just did it (for the most part without a plan) I'm in the final stages, carpet, galley gear. I'm not doing running water or heater. Like everything on my truck I'm trying to build as simple as possible as soon as I get it to an acceptable point I will begin documenting the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan