Bed Mounted Tool Options for Gen 1 Tundra? Track systems?

Working through my 2005 Gen 1 Tundra Build. Currently have my axe stashed in my Action Packer and the shovel is loose. As I organize the bed I have debated a few options. I was leaning toward Quick Fists and fabing up some metal, but then saw this product on eBay (Which looks a lot like what I was envisioning). Do you think this would work on the Gen 1 Tundra bed? I have the LineX spray in bed liner and would hate to drill holes through it for nothing. Would self tapping screws through the side wall be durable enough to hold the tools and the beatings of rough terrain? If you look at the pics it appears they are just going through the sidewall of a plastic bed liner?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axe-and-shovel-mount-In-bed-mounting-brackets-Ford-F-150-or-similar/351671464234?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The guy also has a nice looking Hi Lift set of brackets, but same question about how they attach. ??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F350-...-farm-jack-mounting-bracket-set-/301915737539

Another option is adding a track system. Anyone done that on a Gen 1? Something like this one.
https://hi-lift.com/products/slide-n-lock/

If not these what have you all worked up? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Those look like interesting options. I'm looking at doing something similar for my hi-lift, rather than having it bounce around in the bed. I went with HiLift's 4XRAC that is normally used for mounting to a flat bumper (Jeep). My plan is to drill and set 8 rivnuts (4 per bracket) and then bolt into those. My hope is that the large mounting area of the brackets spreads the load out over a wide area and gives it strength. I can't imagine that rough washboard/rock roads would be good for the sheet metal with all that weight on there.

For shovel I'm considering Wilco Offroad's Quick Fist mounting bracket: https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/quick-fist-mounting-bracket/. I like the idea of using Quick Fist's because it'll cut down on the rattle of tools bouncing around.

That's the big thing that struck me about the two links you posted....on both the tools will likely rattle within the mounts, causing a ton of unnecessary noise. I'm hoping that I can get rid of that problem with the two mounting options I mentioned.

I am seriously considering added a Decked System. I have heard of a way to customize one to work. It voids the warranty and probably would not be as strong as originally designed. Despite that I think it might work for how I would use it. I know of at least one person who done it and it looked like it worked out well. With that said I would rather pick up a used one if I am going to start cutting on it!! The Decked system that works sits at 12" High, so not sure how much room I will have to mount stuff between the Decked floor and the rail. Decked offers a version of the Hi Lift Slide-n-Lock that they mount on the top of the Decked floor, but I'd rather use the bed rails and leave the floor "smooth." I think I would prefer the tools tucked up "high & tight" on the side. With that said, a shovel and an axe are light enough I wonder if I could ceiling mount them in the topper?

s.e.charles

... self tapping screws through the side wall...

I certainly wouldn't depend on that method of hardware attachment.

depending on the materials of your tool handles, I think metal jaws (of the linked brackets) would chew them ragged in short order.

quickfists or similar soft, shock absorbing, clamp cushions, mounted with through fasteners are the way to go.

s.e.charles

addendum: the bed liner of my Tacoma was synthetic whatever. when I drilled it, the material formed crumbs rather than a spiral of curled waste. I would use fender washers or a backing plate for anything attached to a composite bed liner (or fiberglass cap).

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
What Decked system are you thinking about using?
I am thinking about building one out of wood soon.

I second the L-Track. I want to install some soon in the bed.

What Decked system are you thinking about using?
I am thinking about building one out of wood soon.

I second the L-Track. I want to install some soon in the bed.
There is one model that fits closely. It requires a few hours of modification (cutting it down) and then it fits. From what I can tell its doable for most of us. However, the amount of modification needed voids the warranty. I am researching the specifics and trying to find out more info from the guy who did it.

is your bed equipped with the factory rails which hold the proprietary cargo clamps? if so, you could work off those. from distant memory, I remember the end caps pop off and anything which you can slide into them (a stainless steel welders nut for example) can give you a starting point. after that, just think "Gilbert Erector Set".

http://www.armortechoffroad.com/2005-2018-Tacoma-Bed-Rail-Double-Quick-Fist-Mount-_p_396.html
No, my Tundra does not have a rail system. Wish it did. Bed Rails.jpg

steelhd

Observer
I'd like to do this up just below the bed rail. Is there way to do this other self tapping screws? I have a canopy on my Tundra.
Toyota and most other manufacturers put some kind of rail there all the time. I don't exactly know how but would start searching there. If you decide to guess instead I'd go with some kind of nutsert. Self tapping screws wouldn't support much load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger