Bed Rack Design Question - RTT to Cab Clearance

I’m about a month out from decision F250 vs. Power Wagon for DD/Weekend Warrior rig. Wifey has dictated that it gets a Baroud XXL hardshell - which is 89” long. The Power Wagon bed is 76” long and F250 is 81” long.

I don’t really like the look of the RTT hanging off the back of the truck past the tailgate. This pretty much means I have to get the front end of the tent over the back of the cab - bringing me to a design question:

How much clearance between top of cab and bottom of tent do I need to ensure there is no contact as the cab/bed/frame flex and move over rough terrain? No need to account for a Baja-running duty cycle, but I’d like to be able to get crossed up on trails and take reasonable-risk impacts without cab/tent interference.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't know an exact number, but I'd say that the height of a typical Yakima or Thule tower/riser over the cab should provide ample space for the bed and cab to flex independently of one another without there being contact made. My buddy runs a hard shell pop up tent on his Ram which is mounted above his camper in a very similar fashion.

On another note, which way are you leaning in regards to the truck of choice? I only ask because those are the two vehicles we own haha. If you have any specific questions about either feel free to ask, I'd be glad to be of assistance.

Thanks Tex!

The truck choice is a tough one. Father-in-law is a Ford retiree, so the discount on the F250 is nice. I'm mixed on all the tech in an F250... it's cool, but not necessary and lots more thing to go wrong. Still, since we'll always spend more time on-highway than off it, the creature comforts may be nice... and wifey wants the multi-contour seats. Biggest downside is the cost of off-road upgrades just to get to where Power Wagon starts.

The Power Wagon is attractive because it's a bit simpler and doesn't need much in the way of upgrades to be perfectly sericable for our off-road needs... other than the rack/RTT setup, the only immediate mod I'd do is 35s (although I'm sure I'll be on AEV wheels, Thuren lift, and 37s when those 35s wear out!). I've never owned a Chrysler/FCA vehicle though - and deserved or not, the thought kinda gives me the willies.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well you've hit all of the major points in regards to a fair comparison. I'm assuming you'd be looking at the 6.2L gasser in the Ford?

Here's my take away between the two now that we have both in the driveway. Granted I have a mid-grade build PW and a top of the line KR Ford, regardless, I have experience with all trim packages in both trucks so these comparisons still apply.

1) Ford has a slightly bigger bed in every dimension
2) Ford has the Ram beat on interior appointments and fit/finish, "feels" more put together or better built/robust
3) Ford offers more options/doo-dads/creature comforts
4) All of my Super Duties have been super reliable and problem free

1) Ram is cheaper all around
2) Power Wagon is ready to go out of the box
3) Power Wagon is purpose built, doesn't need the extravagant after market build out the Ford does
4) Big Hemi in PW is excellent

The Ford interior cab space is all around better than the PW, now if PW were available in the Mega Cab configuration then it would be a different argument. I prefer how the back seat folds away for cargo space in the Ford as well, it's just a better design. I haven't owned a Ram product since 2007 so I too am a little unsure about the longevity of their product simply because I haven't been around them in a while. IMHO the Ram isn't as refined in all regards, but it does have a superior stock ride, probably due in large part to the rear coil springs. I see the PW being a better platform for Overlanding, but the appeal of having a little more refined truck in the Ford is appealing as long as you're willing to accept its short comings in a direct comparison to the PW in regards to its out of the box capabilities. You know you'll have to put more into the Ford in order to get it to where the PW is in stock configuration and IMHO that's what this all boils down to, can you accept that financially?

That sums it up perfectly... the reason the decision is a month away is that some financial inputs will shape up by then! I think the F250 would most likely be a KR, PW would be with the fancy leather. Did you ge the vinyl or carpeted floor in each of your trucks?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Did you ge the vinyl or carpeted floor in each of your trucks?

I did not, but had I ordered either one of them I would have most certainly chosen the vinyl flooring option. I see no need for carpet on the floor which you are going to cover up and protect with all-weather mats.

We would have chosen the leather/luxury package on the PW as well, but we just got too good of a deal on this particular truck to pass it up. The Ford is technically my truck, but seeing how the PW doesn't have the same creature comforts as the Ford I can see the misses slowly making the Ford hers haha.

Back to original question - I did some looking at photos of pickup bed campers, which have a much larger overhang above cab than I will have. Many people f them look to have as little as 1”-2”. I'm thinking 2” should be safe for me given I'll only have a foot or less of overhang.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Heres my buddies 2500 with a Maggiolina hard top RTT on his camper, clears just fine, probably could go even lower if you wanted an even more streamlined look.

GT5xO7p.jpg

jvUBFbv.jpg

Thanks for the photos!

I think I'm leaning towards a rack vs. a cap, probably from nuthouse so I can run a tonneau as well. Since the rack would be built-to-order, I think I can specify the height to get it dialed in where I want it. Looks like that is ~4”, so I think I'll target about half of that.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Here's a pic from Truck Trend of a PW all crossed up. Not that much deflection in the bed, so maybe that gives you a better idea of where to start.

17745771-9F8A-485E-A621-DFA7959D25D0.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thanks for the photos!

I think I’m leaning towards a rack vs. a cap, probably from nuthouse so I can run a tonneau as well. Since the rack would be built-to-order, I think I can specify the height to get it dialed in where I want it. Looks like that is ~4”, so I think I’ll target about half of that.

Yea I don't see the cab and bed flexing independently of one another all that much, 2" should be fine. Good call on the Nuthouse rack, I am working them on having one built for mine as well.

Nuthouse for your F250 or PW?

I haven't talked to them yet, but when I do I want to figure out how to carry a 37” spare. I don't want the load floor option. If on an F250, I want them to weld tabs longitudinally so I can mount 80/20 on top of the bed rail... then I can use 80/20 cross bars over their retractable tonneau to lay a tire on, kayak mounts, or whatever else we come up with - and it'd be easy to remove whenever.

Not sure how to accomplish a spare over tonneau on a ram box, though. That doesn't have the 2x2 angle that runs down the bed rail. I was thinking maybe a wire pulley on underside of cross-bars and mimic an OEM sort of under-bed system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior