Bed Rack idea...

6spdtaco

I had the idea come to me to use the Yakima tracks and control towers along the top of the bed sides to mount accessories to. I am wondering how easy it is to access the underside of the bed sides in order to mount the tracks.

Here is a picture of the rack system.
picture.php

I haven't looked too closely at the bed sides but here is a picture of Frozenground getting under the plastic.
picture.php

Anyone think its possible? Do I need to remove the whole composite bed liner, or the liner inside the wheelwell?

thanks in advance for any input.

18seeds

Explorer
kind of like this???

30bc14b1.jpg

9bfbdc99.jpg

3a31bfe4.jpg

I removed this whole yakima set up from my tacoma when i sold it. If you are interested in buying PM me and we can work something out.

6spdtaco

Thats it. How did you mount the tracks to the bed? Bolts/nuts, self taping screws? I am not interested in buying, but thanks for the offer.

davelish

I like the look of that. Is that a roof top tent on the racks? If so, are the two cross members enough support to the rtt and people inside?

frozenground

Adventurer
I think it would work great, provided it was mounted properly. I actually considered this route for mounting the RTT before I settled on the Front Runner rack.

Personally I wouldn't trust it if just mounted to the plastic bed rail caps.. they are only held on with a couple of those plastic snap rivet thingies and some plastic tabs. Bolted to some backer plates under the metal should be solid though...

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
That taco was pretty awesome looking. Why did you get rid of it? What kind of bike rack is/was that?

18seeds

Explorer
That taco was pretty awesome looking. Why did you get rid of it? What kind of bike rack is/was that?

I was trying to downsize to a tacoma but it in the end i felt like it was a car not a truck. Towing was OK but not great. The tacoma didn't handle weight very well and I couldn't stand the seats. My biggest mistake was buying a double cab. The bed was just way to small

the bike rack is a thule revolver
http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/964 Revolver.aspx

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
That bike rack is awesome. Now it has me thinking if some sort of table could be fixed to the side facing the vehicle to use when in camp and the bikes are out to the side. It is pricey though.
hmmmm

6spdtaco

Well I got all my rack components on Monday, but... I had ACL re-graft surgery Tuesday so I'll be waiting a while to install it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman