Bed Rack idea...

pyrate

Rollin' along
Interested to see if you figure this out. I would like to buy an Autohome RTT and mount directly above the bed but wasn't sure about the rack and mounting.

Thanks!

6spdtaco

It should hold the RTT no problem.
It will probably be about a month or more before I get this installed. I recently had knee surgery and have a vacation planned next month. I'll definitely post the install/review when I do it.

6spdtaco

Rack complete

Ok so I finally got the rack on. I removed the bed rail caps completely and mounted directly to the bed sides. I used plusnuts, 5 on each side. It seemed that in order to get a solid mount to the bed the plastic rail caps had to be removed. They would become deformed with the weight of the rack and gear, and also be a PITA to line up the holes for the plusnuts. I also put bed liner on the exposed painted surface after removing the bed rail caps.
My rack setup includes: 54" Tracks, Control Towers, 72" Cross Bars, 2 Vipers, 2 Boas, and a Load Warrior.
I plan on cutting down the bars some. I envision catching a tree on one while offroading and causing some serious damage to the whole system.

Attachments

• Bed Rack 008.JPG
    Bed Rack 008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • Bed Rack 010.JPG
    Bed Rack 010.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • Bed Rack 004.JPG
    Bed Rack 004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • Bed Rack 005.JPG
    Bed Rack 005.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • Bed Rack 017.JPG
    Bed Rack 017.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • Bed Rack 016.JPG
    Bed Rack 016.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • Bed Rack 014.JPG
    Bed Rack 014.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 80

6spdtaco

Today I wanted to see if I could move the rack setup off and on the truck with only one person. Sure enough, I could! I really like the Yakima Control Towers, they make for quick removal.

6spdtaco

No need to keep it secret, Yakima rarely goes on sale and all stores/online retailers use the same prices. You will not find the parts for any other amount.

Load Warrior $269
Cross Bars $80
Landing Pads $70
Control Towers $165
Locks $55
Tracks $155

I think thats everything.

Also, if you mount it like I did you will want to put some roll on or spray on bed liner on the tops of the bed rails. Factor your choice of bed liner into the cost. I used dupli-color and it turned out great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger