Bed rack ideas for RTT, custom or other options?

pray4surf

Explorer
Jaime - on your RTT setup, how much headroom do you have under the tent when opened? Is there room underneath to stand upright?

Rick

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
No. It's not quite high enough for me to stand up under. I'd have to duck a little bit, but someone a little shorter than me could stand up.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Jaime,
Thanks for posting those pics! I love your setup and I am hoping to have something similar built. I am considering a Camping Labs RTT to mount on it. I wish I would have gotten to check it out in person on last year's UP Overland Adventure.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Yeah - I wish I had been able to make that trip - but I didn't have the RTT then. I got it right after that.

I wanted to check out your rig anyway!

You still over in Afghanistan?

Thank you for your service no matter where you are.

TJDIV

Adventurer
Jaime,
Thanks for posting those pics! I love your setup and I am hoping to have something similar built. I am considering a Camping Labs RTT to mount on it. I wish I would have gotten to check it out in person on last year's UP Overland Adventure.

Ditto for the Tundra. I think I've found a winner!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thats awesome that you found a solution.

I have one question: How do you secure the stuff you leave in the bed of the truck?

I am looking at getting a rack to add a top tent but can't get around the idea of someone stealing my stuff when I park the truck somewhere.

Ok, this is an old post, but this is my main concern, too. I had a local welder give me an estimate for a rack an wa going to proceed, but it hit me- what about the gear? It will be exposed to theft, weather, etc. I guess the only option is a shell and the tent on top.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Ok, this is an old post, but this is my main concern, too. I had a local welder give me an estimate for a rack an wa going to proceed, but it hit me- what about the gear? It will be exposed to theft, weather, etc. I guess the only option is a shell and the tent on top.

CH,

If you're thinking about the shell and tent on top consider this option...

"Crosstread-Renegade" (this retailer "myladderracks.com" has it for $318.)

It's low profile and adjustable to length and width of any truck, easy to install, has a 750lb capacity, keeps the weight of a RTT and other mounted gear off of the shell, and it's affordable.
With a shell I would also suggest a "Pop&Lock" on the tailgate to lock up the whole cargo area.
I've personally run this set up on two rigs;see attached photos ('00 Tundra w/Maggiolina RTT and '08 Tacoma w/Columbus RTT) and have been very happy with it, although now thinking about an AT Flippac with a growing family in tow.
Hope this info was helpful or sparked some other ideas.

WS

Last edited:

roamingaz

Explorer
I currently have a utility camper shell on my truck that works really well, it holds the RTT great and when open I am able to stand under it so I got a room addition for the RTT and that side of the truck is my shower so it can be used as a privacy area as well as some shade.
I still keep thinking I want a custom rack built simular to Tacodocs but I also don't want all my gear out in the open. Here are a couple pics to give you some ideas, I need to update my build up progress since I have done a lot more to the truck as I continue my quest for the perfect fit and finish.

weekendtrip019.jpg

weekendtrip002.jpg

Adventuretruck002-2.jpg

Adventuretruck003-3.jpg

Adventuretruck008.jpg

Adventuretruck009.jpg

weekendtrip009.jpg

BorregoBar

IMG_20170220_190048_140.jpg
Here are my camper bed racks that offer excellent ability to mount accessories, access the bed and cary a RTT. Finished photos are for a Gen 1 Tundra. Build photos are for a 2017 Tacoma, using 1.75 diameter tube, 1/8 wall steel. Angle iron sits on top of bed rails and the hardware grabs bed rail mounting system.IMG_0049.jpgIMG_0049.jpg

Last edited:

jwiereng

OP, I like your mounting to the bed. It is nice to have the top of the tent lower than the top of the truck cab for travelling. Many photo's I seen have the roof top tent mounted on a rack above the height of the roof, the be is not bed is not being used to carry other cargo. Tent is just further from the snakes and rats that prowl the night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger