Bedframe Fab presents TJ Storage

computeruser

Explorer
What do you get when you combine a couple scrap bedframes, a 110v Lincoln welder running flux core wire, and a Metabo 6" grinder with the thin .040" cutting wheels? Yup, you get a TJ interior storage system, representing the pinnacle of Polak engineering. But hey, I'm able to get this into the back of a TJ with room to spare for folding chairs and a couple soft-side bags or backpacks. And I can get to the stuff on the bottom without having to disrupt everything on top!

DSCF1955Medium.jpg

The system bolts to the factory seat belt retractor bolts on the rear cage, and then has drop legs and bolts through the front mount for the rear seat. So far it seems pretty sturdy - my 240lbs didn't seem to wiggle it, and I could grab on to it and shake the devil out of the Jeep without it budging.

DSCF1951Medium.jpg

Four small Rubbermaid Action Packers go underneath, along with tool bags and air compressor in the rear footwells. The fore-aft brace is positioned off-center, to prevent the action packer row on the right from shifting left; the action packers are a just-barely friction fit. I still have ready-access recovery gear is under the seats, spares and specialized recovery gear (towing cluster, winch pulley block, etc.) ride in one of the Action Packers. The remaining Action Packers split up the campsite stuff - hygiene, kitchen, dry food. A shovel and 2-man tent sit on the far left the floor.

DSCF1953Medium.jpg

On top, two matching Contico plastic tubs will store bedding and clothing, and a decent sized cooler sits in the middle. There is still a bit of space for extra stuff, right behind the seats.

DSCF1954Medium.jpg

This lot will be strapped down, rendering it more immobile than it is already (it's a pretty decent fit - only 1" of side-to-side movement, and a hair less fore and aft for the black boxes).

DSCF1949Medium.jpg

There is still enough room on top to tie down a couple folding chairs, some soft-side gear bags, and room enough on either side to fit Wedco or Scepter can, and still have the soft top move up and down freely.

Total cost: just the welding wire and a couple cut-off discs, since I reused a piece of OSB for the decking, reused old hardware from my nut-and-bolt coffee cans, and my steel was all free - people just drop off bedframes in my driveway and I find them there when I get home from work. I even kept drilling to a minimum by reusing the pre-punched holes in the bedframes as much as possible!

Total build time, a couple hours.

Total time to install or remove: less than two minutes with a ratchet and wrench, less than a minute with the socket on the cordless drill.

Desert Dan

Explorer
Great job.

The small Action Packers work great in a TJ
Can you post s few pictures of how you mounted the frame?
Did you mount it to the roll bar or body tub?
What are the dimensions of your wood platform?

computeruser

Explorer
Will do - I'll get the unloaded pictures and exact dimensions tomorrow or Saturday. The Jeep is off at the lazyman shop, since I didn't feel like changing diff fluid or redoing the u-joints on my driveshafts myself.

Bongo Boy

Observer
Polak engineering my ***! Very nice.

Provided, of course, the cork puller isn't at the bottom of the cooler that's buried at the bottom of the whole kit. But that's not a design problem if it happens...it's just a process problem!

I just LOVE any attempt at all to outsmart TJ storage limitations, and you've done it with style. Nice job, not constrained by notions of how does everybody else do it.

Last edited:

computeruser

Explorer
The deck surface is 33d x 38w. It is bolted onto the frame with #10 machine screws coming up into the wood, with those nutsert threaded things tapped into the top side of the OSB. I only had six or eight around when I built it, and will add a few more later. I may add side rails like the Kilby rear rack or extend the decking all the way across (tub-to-tub), depending on how I end up using it.

DSCF1961Medium.jpg

The rear attachment point is at the rollbar, where the seatbelt retractor usually goes. I suppose you could still do this and then re-attach the seatbelt retractor, if you wanted to. Note the reuse of the existing hole in the bedframe...it was a perfect fit! The other hole can double as a tie-down point for a bungee cord or ratchet strap, too.

DSCF1957Medium.jpg

The front attachment point is a drop leg that bolts to the seat bracket. It seems pretty sturdy this way, without any of the load or movement being borne by the wheel well (with an outrigger of some sort) or by a second attachment point to the front rollbar, right behind the front seats. We'll see how this holds up on UPOverland and adjust accordingly.

DSCF1958Medium.jpg

And in order to keep the back end of the Jeep from squatting excessively with all the gear in the back or with the trailer on (or, heavens, with both!), we're now riding on AIR!

DSCF1965Medium.jpg

Desert Dan

Explorer
Nice
Do you have a center brace on the osb?

I like the air bags on the TJ!

The YJ Jeeps had square rear fender wells that made a shelf much easier to install.

computeruser

Explorer
Yes, there is a center brace, slightly offset (you can see the silver nutserts slightly biased to the passenger side). I put it there because it keeps the Action Packers on the far right side from sliding towards the left side. It seemed sturdy enough to not need another brace doubly serving the same function further towards the driver's side.

I agree about the YJ/CJ - MUCH easier to pack, load, and fabricate with those squared off wheel wells. You can actually bolt stuff to them (toolboxes, subwoofers, shelves, etc.), which is pretty neat. That's one part of my YJ that I do miss.

We'll see how the airbags work out over time. They're made right here in town, so I figured I'd give them a shot. The rear springs are pretty tired, after years of regular and serious towing (I was on my 3rd auto trans rebuild before I hit 80k miles...thanks for the warranty coverage, Chrysler!), and it was making the 1.25" front coil spacer's presence really obvious any time I had anything in the back or had the hardtop on. In a perfect world I'd lift, stiffen the springs, and throw on a CV/SYE setup and a belly-up skidplate. But that would have cost a lot more than the $86 I spent on the bags. And this way everything else in the suspension and drivetrain remains OEM, which makes sourcing repair parts super easy.

Having only driven the Jeep back from the shop, I have yet to make a full assessment of ride quality. But with 7psi in the bags, there was much less wallowing after bumps, less side-to-side body movement coming up and down driveways, and dropping off of curbs was much more controlled. Oh, and the ride down the road was better - firm and a bit more controlled, without being abusive to the kidneys and lower back. I need to get a few more yards of mulch and a yard or two of pea stone in the next couple weeks, so we'll see how it works out at higher PSI and with a load on...

86cj

Explorer
That is how I set up my CJ back in the day, you will find it works well, nice job.. I was young and dumb and used cardboard clothes boxes under the shelf though..

The first thing I noticed about the Air Lift bags on my LJ was less wiggle everytime you turn, mine have worked well for several years now.. Good choice on the Bilstein's, my 5100's were the best improvement to the Jeep.

....I have yet to make a full assessment of ride quality. But with 7psi in the bags, there was much less wallowing after bumps, less side-to-side body movement coming up and down driveways, and dropping off of curbs was much more controlled. Oh, and the ride down the road was better - firm and a bit more controlled, without being abusive to the kidneys and lower back......

A lot of this sounds like worn shocks also....maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps a new set of gas charged shocks are in order.

Too bad I can't run those air bags on the XJ, but I do have the option of running these Air Shocks which I plan on doing for use while towing the pop-up camper to save what's left of my hybrid spring pack...

ExpoMike

A lot of this sounds like worn shocks also....maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps a new set of gas charged shocks are in order.

Too bad I can't run those air bags on the XJ, but I do have the option of running these Air Shocks which I plan on doing for use while towing the pop-up camper to save what's left of my hybrid spring pack...

He's running Bilstein shocks and the likelihood they would need to be replace is about zero. Unless you damage one and cause it to leak, they are good for 100,000 miles.

Most likely his feeling is due to having coil springs in the back. They can tend to make the rear feel a little more wiggly then leafs. New springs might help but the air bags will most likely work better if he is not planning a lift any time soon.

My .02 worth. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12