Beetle Off Road camper build

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Since you are in NJ it would seem cold/snow is the big worry, I bet these do well with the light weight.

I've never driven one, but growing up in Colorado I always heard that they do poorly in the snow and ice because the front it too light, and slides around. But, like I said, that's just hearsay.

Photog

Explorer
They do have steering issues on ice. Most vehicles do.:) I had always considered using studded on the front, to balance the front/rear traction, during the winter.

You had some good reasoning for the body lift. Not just for looks or clearance.

As for the stiffening idea of the body lift, and a place to mount some side protection: Go find a convertible bug, and look at the reinforcement tubes running under the edges of the floor pan. They did this to add strength, when the roof was removed. It also makes a great place to attach rock sliders.

If you need more cargo area for the light stuff, you could use a longer roof basket, such as a Rolla (with the extension), and just add the necessary supports at the rear of the basket. This way you could still see out the rear window.

Or maybe something like this: from The Samba . com
P1014166.jpg

You have a fun project, and some good ideas. :)

Last edited:

67bajabug

yeah i maybe getting to far away from the minimalist approach when i start adding lots of not needed heavy tubing. i am just still thinking from a jeep perspective. this is the jeep i finished last year after a year and a half build on a college kid budget.

101_1917.jpg

101_1921.jpg

101_1929.jpg

100_1796.jpg

100_1797.jpg

100_1833.jpg

INSAYN

Adventurer
That Jeep looks awesome! Especially home grown on a tight budget. :victory:

I like the unibody pickup look.

Photog

Explorer
Is this the kind of basket you are think about:

From The Samba . com
IMG_4948.jpg

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
I agree: Not to crazy about it.

I can't find an image of the basket I am thinking of. The idea is to use a long basket, and let it extend out over the rear window. Then add a pair of supports to keep the basket from flexing.

This would make for a lot of storage space, but it is all very high C.G.

Side note: Both of the bugs that I posted, are balljoint-front-beam cars.

67bajabug

i have read the ball joint fronts are fine for offroad and you dont really need one but i already have a linkpin front. the balljoint front has loose balljoints and spindles so i would have to rebuild it anyway. since i already have it its def worth it to swap in right?

also noticed the other day the the bellhousing on the trans is cracked. when i took the motor out it only had 3 bolts holding it in. 2 bottom and one top. the one top was really loose. the motor bouncing around messed up the input shaft bearing and put a small crack in the case. i didnt really notice it till i started cleaning it up.
so i need to get another swing axle tranny and flip the diff or i might just go with and IRS swap. i almost think i will regret not going IRS

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry about the bellhousing problems

The IRS swap is well worth it. Especially since your current trans is nothing more than a paperweight. Only downside is you have 2 more CV boots to worry about.

IRS keeps the camber in check, no matter where the tire is in regards to suspension travel. Much better for all kinds of driving.

My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember needing to swap the entire rear suspension setup to make the change. As the swing arms are different.

Not 100% positive though. Its been a LONG time since my aircooled days :coffee:

S

Squatchout

Cool project, Like the above poster my air cooled V-dub days were a while ago. Back in the day we used a solid motor mount kit with a trans strap over the front and rear to keep the bell housing from cracking. It was pretty noisy and I recall a rubber mount kit with rubber lined trans straps came out because of it. Solid mounts transfer ALL of the engine noise and vibration to the floor pan and interior. I have no idea what's on the market now but at one time there were some Baja style rear bumpers that incorporated a rear motor mount that fastened at the oil pump area to support the engine. Same goal to keep from cracking the bellhousing. Jumping without a trans strap kit or rear mount was only a matter of time before the failure you have now.

Great project. It brings back a lot of memories. I've owned many Beetle and a Ghia. Built a couple of Baja's and several floor pan brush buggies and used to be able to ID any year bug at a quick glance. But it's been a long while. Good luck with your project. I like it!

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
If you have to rebuild the front end anyway, and you have a good link-pin, then I would swap it.

IRS is very nice. It is a bit of work to add IRS to a swing-axle floor pan. The hard part is cutting the openings, aligning and welding in the mounts for the trailing arms. But, it is probably easier than finding an IRS floorpan.

If you get another swing-axle tranny, you may be able to just swap in the differential from your current tranny. It is already set-up and shimmed properly.

There is a tranny strap kit, that uses polyurethane or stock rubber mounts, and locks the tranny down tight, with less noise transferred to the floorpan. Link

If you have damage at the bell housing, you probably have damage in the nosecone also (where the shift-shaft comes in).

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Explorer
Check your front wheel bearings frequently with off road use and heavy loads.

FYI the left front spindle is hollow (weaker) because of the speedometer cable.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Bravo! It's about time someone started a build on a bug here. Great minimalist vehicles and can go so many places stock, even! Will be following this with interest. Drive this baby around the world!

David

Gpzguy

I've never driven one, but growing up in Colorado I always heard that they do poorly in the snow and ice because the front it too light, and slides around. But, like I said, that's just hearsay.

My very first car was a '74 standard bug that I bought when I was 15 years old, for $850. In the winter I had studded snow tires for it, and in addition to my tool box I would put a couple of very large bassalt rocks in the trunk to add some weight. It had some understeer in the snow, but better that than oversteer. When you learned how to drive with it, all it took was throttle control and sometimes some application of the parking brake to swing the back end around.

Very cool build. I had considered making a Baja out of my old bug, but I sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior