Belt/pulley came off....

viducce

Observer
While wheeling a bit there was sudden noise, then oil, A/T lights came on and lost the power steering ...
After crawling back this is what my mechanic found...

3d0035239756b5033cb90405e561dada_zpsxemqmgl3.jpg

95bd4adcb945dcb8eada59e047c497e3_zpspyewipmq.jpg

c981c8968823345b57c9ea56a900bd43_zpsrmavlh48.jpg

4891f877df85db57df2a0c8ea95cc6ee_zpsglokltbv.jpg

What's the verdict?

Last edited:

viducce

Observer
1997 gen 2.5 LWB Pajero/ Montero 3000 V6 24V, 235000 km
Maybe someone had the same problem.....
Appears like material fatigue ...

PA_JERO

Adventurer
Looks like your crank bolt backed out and jacked up what ever threads you had on your crank. At least it appears the crank bolt didn't snap off inside, which saves a ton of pain and headaches. Time for a new harmonic balancer, crank timing gear, and an updated crank bolt and washer. You will need to see if you can re tap the crank snout or use a time-sert kit. That is if there is no more threads on the crank for the crank bolt to grab onto. Depending on when the last timing job was consider doing a full timing job.

viducce

Observer
Looks like your crank bolt backed out and jacked up what ever threads you had on your crank. At least it appears the crank bolt didn't snap off inside, which saves a ton of pain and headaches. Time for a new harmonic balancer, crank timing gear, and an updated crank bolt and washer. You will need to see if you can re tap the crank snout or use a time-sert kit. That is if there is no more threads on the crank for the crank bolt to grab onto. Depending on when the last timing job was consider doing a full timing job.

Thanks for your competent assessment, could you establish what caused this failure?
Thanks and cheers,
Chris

mudraider

Adventurer
That long crank bolt has been updated.
11c233f53aa79ce249993d946e415d74.jpg

Someone more versed said the long bolt carries more harmonic vibration, allowing it to work loose.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Thanks for your competent assessment, could you establish what caused this failure?
Thanks and cheers,
Chris

The failure is caused by not replacing the crank bolt with the proper updated bolt. They are one time use and a new bolt and washer is to be installed with each timing belt service.

PA_JERO

Adventurer
^^^ All answers above, or the last jack *** who worked on that motor didn't torque the crank bolt down properly.

viducce

Observer
Thanks for all he valuable inputs, I'm soaking up all this information.
PA_JERO, yes I assume that's the most probable.
I always heard this squeaking and connected it to a lose or worn belt ( changed belts and adviced my
mechanic to check tension, but never thinking that in fact it was a warning that the pulley is going to fail.....
To get that shorter bolt will be difficult here in Taiwan or is that an original Mitsubishi upgrade?

viducce

Observer
Actually that timing belt was replaced 2007 so the bolt took some time lo loosen...
Anyway it is wise to check that particular bolt from time to time in order to prevent this mess...
My new radiator also got some scuffs but luckily nothing major, now new timing belt is in place and
just waiting for the new pulley bolt and will be up running soon..
BTW my mechanic said that the shorter bolt is also used in common Mitsubishi sedans...
Again thanks for the fantastic feedback, must say:
This forum rocks !!
Cheers from Taiwan

0c206ec09cac22ea32323fc2d3e96c9d_zpsfyhisj9a.jpg

a0bed6a7dc0d73a9c2ca516228ce2af5_zpsg7df3wxq.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears