benefit of "E" rated vs "P" rated tires?

arlon

Adventurer
I have an AWD Astro van (2" lift) that I'm slowly converting into a camper for some rocky roads travel in West Texas. Biggest issue will be sharp rocks and mesquite thorns. I think the E tires would be MUCH tougher than the "P" rated tires. Issue is that the E tire I can fit (at least think I can fit) only comes in a 225/75/16 size while the "P" tire is a 235/70/16.

To get the E tire I have to give up a little width and gain about 1/2" in diameter (3.73 gears should still pull them). Curious what your thoughts are on strength vs footprint? I also assume my daily driver ride quality will suffer a little with the E tires but economy might actually improve if I keep the pressured up. Load capacity with the E's would never be a concern, I like that.

Also posed this question on the astrosafarivans site so if you see it there, no need to answer twice...

Expedition Leader
E-rated tires have much stiffer sidewalls and will be much more puncture-resistant. The downsides are the weight (un-sprung weight is the hardest on fuel economy) and the fact that they don't air down very well, especially on a lighter vehicle. You definitely won't gain any fuel economy; the opposite is my experience.

jon_slider

I vote E rated for safety

I have a 5000 lb van and used some C rated tires for a while. I now use E rated tires and am much happier being able to inflate to a high enough pressure to produce stiff handling in curves.

The maximum inflation pressure on a C rated tire, much less the P rated tire you should never use, was not high enough to make the tire as hard as needed to handle properly.

try sticking a credit card under the edge of your tire and the ground. If you cannot inflate it hard enough to get the card to slip in a little bit, you have not achieved ideal road pressure imo

example
a tire rated 1765 lbs @ 50 psi, C rated, handles OK at 50psi with my van

an E rated tire, rated 2680 lbs @ 80 psi, could theoretically be inflated to 45psi to match the load capacity of the above tire at 50psi.

moral of the story, 50psi is a good target pressure, a load capacity above 1500 lbs is essential imo.. Passenger tires have max inflations in the 35psi range. And their max loads range around 1300 lbs..

what is the max load and max psi of the tire you are looking at?

I have a friend running passenger tires on a Van, his outer tread is worn down severely, his center tread has no wear at all. He is inflated to the max, 35psi, and his van is unsafe, wallows, and his sidewalls have bulges in them (cord separation)

DO NOT buy passenger tires! Definitely go with the E rated tire.

arlon

Adventurer
The P tire is rated at 2094lbs while the E tire is rated at 2650lbs. Not a huge difference (weights not given). I'm still leanin towards the E tire if I can convince myself it will fit without much more lifting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears