Best cassette toilet chemical?

Pest

Adventurer
So there are a bunch of expeditioners that use PETT or something similar, but there are also those who have cassette toilets, porta-pottis, or black water holding tanks. I've noticed that some chemicals seem to work a little better than others in controlling odor and digesting waste and paper.

I've tried (I have a Thetford cassette toilet):

Thetford Aqua-Kem green liquid - This works well, but only when I've used at least double the amount stated in the directions.

Thetford Aqua-Kem DRI Toss-ins - This seems to work okay, odor didn't seem to be a problem except for a nearly full tank stored for more than a few days. However, it didn't seem to work as well at digesting solids or paper, making it harder to fully empty the cassette.

Pure Power waste digester (bought at camping world)- This didn't seem to work at all, smelly and raw sewage.

What are some of the products you guys have used? What do you find to work the best for the price?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I use the Aqua-Kem toss-in pouches in the Sprinter's Thetford with good success. I have not had problems with smell, and while the solids don't always break down completely, I've always been able to empty the tank completely.

For what it's worth, I believe that the accepted belief is that the products that contain formaldehyde are better at odor control, but the formaldehyde is not completely environmentally sound and can damage septic systems, so they are prohibited in some locations. Thus the conventional wisdom is to use a non-formaldehyde product until you end up with an odor problem you can't deal with with other straegies.

Pest

Adventurer
I've heard a few good things about Bactain, which is formaldehyde free, but I can't seem to find a place to actually buy it!

bstory

Observer
We ran out of the Thetford blue chemicals on our last trip and got a quart bottle of blue stuff at West Marine. There seemed to be less smell than usual and several of the days we were using it were those 100 degree-plus days last week.

I don't know what the ingredients are but I will check and see as I sure don't want formaldehyde in my van. No more chemical induced breathing problems for us, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger