Best, cheapest RTT?

r3run33

Adventurer
seems many others are researching the rtt also best is to get opinions from people here that have or have used and moved on to better products. Biggest poit is what what mentioned before best low cost model!!!! don't forget you get what you pay for!!! you have to also consider where and what conditions you are gonna use it in. does it have to be a all weather tent or summer only. etc

enzo

Explorer
I started with a Camping Lab, moved up to an ARB Simpson III and just recently picked up an Eezi Awn 1600 T-Top. The first 2 tents were great but the Eezi Awn is by far the best and of course the price reflects it. You get what you pay for. If I had a limited budget, I'd get a used ARB. Those things are always in the B/S/T section of this forum.

Finlay

Triarius
I have a CVT Mt. Rainier.

I won't say it's the best tent ever. The more expensive tents are generally better quality. I've been out with some guys who have ARB or Eezi-Awn and they are better in many respects. No question.

Like you, I am interested in getting the most for my money, and I also have lots of priorities to attend to. So, I get the pressure to save where you can and carefully choose which bag of compromises you're most willing to live with. I know how it is - I could buy a 1500 dollar tent and a take some trips with it or buy a 3000 dollar tent and set it up in my backyard.

I've been very happy with my CVT RTT. I've got about 20 nights in it now, and I'm looking forward to another 2 years with it. I've been through a pretty decent rainstorm and some sub-freezing temps and some strong winds. I've slept well enough in all cases - as good as you can get - or better - in a tent. Beer helps. Still, I doubt I would have slept that much better in a better tent. I've beat the snot out of it with branches and sticks and the cover has held up. I drove through a blistering thunderstorm and endless clouds of dust and the cover held up. The tent has performed well for me.

Besides all that, I can guarantee that the bears won't care how many gram/pounds per inch/fathom your canvas was. You're in a tent outside. If the elements have really decided to mess with you, all the Triple Aught Snow Peak gear in the world won't help you.

I love my RTT and I'm never sleeping on the ground again if I can help it. I'll probably upgrade in a couple of years to something better - but that is no slight against CVT. I'm just that sort of neurotic. Bobby runs a good business and delivers a solid product at that price point. You could do far worse for your money in my estimation.

Fester

Observer
Here is the Chinese MFT of CVT. Most RTT's can be found on Alibaba.com

a6ygu7un.jpg

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Earlier in the year when I was looking for a RTT, I emailed back and forth with Bobby @ CVT numerous times regarding used or demo rooftop tents and he was great to deal with and was really making an effort to fit me in CVT product which I appreciated and will remember for future purchases. While talking to him, I came across a lightly used Camping Lab rtt in Florida so jumped in the van and drove down to the Treasure Coast to pick it up and also met a really nice and friendly fellow overland adventurer as well, but I've digressed...

The Camping Lab is decent, it has some stitching and velcro pulling out with only limited use and the cover isn't holding up that great even though I keep it clean and treated with either Protect-All or 303 Protectant. I need to do some repair work/upgrades this winter and maybe see about a replacement cover. If/when I'm living out of my van full time, I'll prefer to have a product with higher overall quality but this certainly suits my needs for now.

ennored

Old thread I know, but haven't really found a fresher one.

The "cheap" in cheap roof top tent seems to be $799 right now. That is, I can have a Smittybilt/Camco/Front Runner or other label on a Chinese tent (maybe from Ningbo Wincar?) for $799 including shipping. I've even seen some 10% discounts mentioned on top of that (can't find a solid one yet). I'd be happy with a tent of this quality (infrequent use, not my main sleeping arrangement). Hate thinking that the same cheap tent is $100 (or less) if it wasn't a roof top tent. Love to see someone figure that out, sell just the tent portion and let me worry about the bulky hard to ship floor. Stuff like CVT is little more, like $900 on my porch, with the 20% group buy tomorrow anyway, but I struggle to see how they are nothing more than the same thing, just in the market a bit longer.

That said, kind of leaning toward trying a Smittybilt Overlander, $799 all in, one year warranty, some lights in it already, available either on my porch or at some places with retail outlets nearby. Anyone able to talk me in or out of it? Or know an even better deal?

(Yes, watching used stuff. Most often over $799, and far away. I'm third or fourth in line for a somewhat nearby, used, $400 Camping Lab one. Not holding my breath, and it was just another $800 cheap tent when it was new anyway. And no longer available.)

Thanks,
Tim

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
Old thread I know, but haven't really found a fresher one.

The "cheap" in cheap roof top tent seems to be $799 right now. That is, I can have a Smittybilt/Camco/Front Runner or other label on a Chinese tent (maybe from Ningbo Wincar?) for $799 including shipping. I've even seen some 10% discounts mentioned on top of that (can't find a solid one yet). I'd be happy with a tent of this quality (infrequent use, not my main sleeping arrangement). Hate thinking that the same cheap tent is $100 (or less) if it wasn't a roof top tent. Love to see someone figure that out, sell just the tent portion and let me worry about the bulky hard to ship floor. Stuff like CVT is little more, like $900 on my porch, with the 20% group buy tomorrow anyway, but I struggle to see how they are nothing more than the same thing, just in the market a bit longer.

That said, kind of leaning toward trying a Smittybilt Overlander, $799 all in, one year warranty, some lights in it already, available either on my porch or at some places with retail outlets nearby. Anyone able to talk me in or out of it? Or know an even better deal?

(Yes, watching used stuff. Most often over $799, and far away. I'm third or fourth in line for a somewhat nearby, used, $400 Camping Lab one. Not holding my breath, and it was just another $800 cheap tent when it was new anyway. And no longer available.)

Thanks,
Tim

Hello Tim,

We do just sell the tent with no floor. Just an option if you already have means for the floor. We sell all the parts to a RTT.

Thank you,

Bobby

Cascadia-vehicle-tents

Supporting Sponsor
Here is the Chinese MFT of CVT. Most RTT's can be found on Alibaba.com

a6ygu7un.jpg

Lol...This was the mfg. I think all in all they owe us over $40,000.00 for a few container's of horrible tents. We did use them but when the problems started they did not stand behind there product. We did. We replaced almost 30 tents we had problems with and even now we have replaced a few with the Roost Tents. I have contacted them numerous times and still nothing. This is why we moved production to the states on the hard shells. Now we have a great product with the Roost.
If you ever talk with them let them know they still owe us....Lol My favorite thing to hear as that we are the only company to have this problem. We also have no re-coarse, and that sucks..

We have a great product with this and have some great changes coming on it also. home_mf_2_940x400.jpg

skates04

Adventurer
Tim,

I bought a set of 10 RTT's from Wincar, I can tell you they are of really good quality and they make tents for several companies.

Buying one tent off Alibaba is not cost or time effective after shipping and customs.... It will cost about the same as the tent.

Buy one from CVT or Tepui and be done it will be cheaper and you have customer service.

I'm guessing you have never seen a RTT in person if your comparing one to a 100 dollar ground tent your comparing apples to oranges.

A RTT in the price range your talking is going to be made of heavy rip stop canvas, heavy duty zippers, taped and double stitched seams, and include a nice mattress to name a few differences compared to a flimsy nylon wal mart tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

captwoody

Adventurer
being a Smittybuilt owner I will tell you quality control leaves something to be desired but I bought mine from 4 wheel parts with a discount and paid 740 out the door plus I had 200 in gift cards so 540 out of pocket. so I did not mind having to do some finishing work-sealing some of the thread holes, deburring the tent flap holes, applying sealer to seams. I am very happy with my tent now but if I did not have the gift cards I would have bought a tepui because of the customer service. Scott still answers my questions about RTT's and he knows I bought a smittybuilt
179701-1421728382-79cd9d99aab4a35ec1999abbbfb9b741.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I don't think I saw Mombasa mentioned. They are right there with the Camping Labs (RIP), Tepui and CVTs from what I have seen. I have had mine 8 years now and it has been very good. It has been through some pretty good storms on the shores of Lake Superior too. Since I have owned it, I have redone the waterproofing a couple years ago just to be safe but it probably wasn't necessary. I will be doing something with the mattress this year before we start using it too. I will also be adding a condensation mat. I am hoping to get another tent in the next few years. What I do not know at this time.

bmwags

No bubble bursting here, friend. All 3 are essentially ARB Simpson 3 tents.

There ARE differences between those 3 brands however, as follows:

Tepui - 3 man does not come with Awning extension. Costs around $1000 bucks CDN.
CVT - does come with Awning. Costs around $1100 CDN.
ARB - awning included. Costs about $1300-1400 CDN.

Regards
Craig

Sorry to hijack but where did you get those prices? I'm a Canadian in the market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior