Best domestic overlanders?

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Straying from the question...

I know this is not strictly within the bounds of your question but....

If I were setting out from the UK, then I'd say you have one of THE best vehicles available there already. The Thai built Toyoto HiLux / Vigo with the 3.0 Diesel - in a dualcab (crewcab) and 4x4.

I had an old one and loved it!! Impossible to kill... (as proven on TopGear)

I've got a USA built Tacoma crewcab (petrol) in California, and it's a very nice truck, but doesn't compare to the Hilux, which I think is an even better option than a modern Defender.

As for "USA Trucks" if I had to choose, I'd go with a Cummins Dodge, just because of the global serviceability of the engine. You'll have a hard time finding GM Duramax or Ford Powerstroke parts outside of North America.

Cheers,
Jay.

Scott Brady

Founder
I believe Chris' question was framed around what domestic made (NA) made vehicles are appropriate for overland travel. He is likely just researching the topic editorially.

For those who have not matched the screen name, this is Chris Scott of Sahara Overland (and Overland Journal) fame...

The new JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon would also be high on my list.

Chris S

Thanks Scott and to all others who replied. Looks like my spam filters were zapping your reply notifications. I'm not planning to buy one but am writing a book on vehicle overlanding (see my profile) having written similar books on motorcycling and edited one for pushbikes. Right now I am researching domestic NA options for the 'which vehicle' section.

.... the Thai built Toyoto HiLux / Vigo with the 3.0 Diesel - in a dualcab (crewcab) and 4x4...

Funnily enough that is the workhorse (in 2.4) that I'm eyeing up for my next couple of desert trips. I'm surprised to hear the locally-built Tacoma does not compare. My last Hilux trip did not end so well as you can read later in OJ.

It looks like Cummins + Dodge is a favourite so I'll look into that.

...Can you still get diesel Jeeps (Wrangler/Cherokee) in Britain?
Yes - plenty. They've just introduced a Patriot with a CRD engine that claims 50mpg (UK). Dont know if you're aware but diesel in the UK is among the most expensive in the world at $2/litre. Luckily veg oil at half the price has lately become tax exempt (being 'food') and works fine mixed 1:1.

Chip, I'll answer your questions for what I imagine will be most of the prospective readers.

... more than one companion?
No but big groups/families are being addressed - as well as less obvious vehicles. Check this lot out:
http://www.welcometotheworld.org.uk/

More than one vehicle?
Usually or initially no

...self-contained for more than a week?
It's at the extreme end but at times yes

... camping regularly
Yes

... transport by boat?
Most probably yes

.. challenging routes?
Yes - at times (especially in Africa) there is no choice

... I am guessing you are partial to diesels.
I think we all are for the long drive Lynn. A solid, pre-electronic diesel simplifies life greatly although I'm aware mid-sized diesels are rare in the US - if not Canada.
Thanks for the links; I spent a day on expeditioncampers.com and will no doubt be going back - and Turtle Expeditions have sent in some material for the book.

...My Ranger was a pile of junk...
There are a lot of ex-Landrover owners around who feel the same way - but LRs are as popular as ever. I tried the new Defender out the other day on a course - amazing agility with TC but that's only part of the story to life on the road.
Sometimes I read the same complaints about Jeep [ie: 'junk'] but wonder if that was from the AMC era? Brit cars have certainly had a few eras of their own and it seems many new vehucles are more fragile than what I consider 'golden era' around late 80s to mid-90s when mechanical tech peaked just before electronics started getting cheaper.

I get the feeling we're better off in Europe with our choice of suitable overlanders and know-how; from normal 4WDs right up to inexpensive ex-military MANs and MBs. A lot of Brits like to dress their LRs for 'expeditions' but the Germans are somethimg else.
We went here a couple of weeks ago - an annual event
http://www.abenteuer-allrad.de/
and the campsite/car park was an overlanding show in itself.

There is a bit of a gap in between filled by Mog$$$$, less common Ivecos and the like. Check this page out; they're all for sale:
http://bernard.debucquoi.com/annonces.php

A mate is eyeing up a Renault B90, but look around and you'll find a picture of one blown over in Iran which on that suspension does not surprise me

Thanks again - any more ideas keep them coming.
Here's a little cadeau from Egypt, 2004
http://www.sahara-overland.com/Sfiles/RolloverBeethoven.mov

Ch

Chris S

Too top-heavy or not enough throttle?

No more top heavy than anything else on that trip (2000km/18-day autonomy required) but he went off line to the left just a touch (to be different?) and paid the price.
To be honest we were expecting it. Many times he had that thing on two wheels although we decided the way-oversprung parabolic front end, minimal damping and air-bag helpers on the back did not help.

Ch

You can read the full story here:
http://www.sahara-overland.com/Sfiles/gilf.htm

One British vehicle I'm curious about: did Reynolds Boughton release any of their 2 ton 4X4 van chassis to the public? The one that has the Perkins Phaser 110, 5spd trans, Dana axles (I think) and 11.00R16s? Kind of like an OKA? It looks like a good vehicle for the mysterious "mid-range" size range for an offroad camper, in between a Landcruiser on the one end and a Unimog on the other.

Charlie

Chris S

Do you mean this one - RB44?
http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=582&Overide=1

I've seen them and heard of one or two who have travelled with them (axle problems?) but they've never caught on here although that price ($11500 +) and spec is OK.

Tyres look like 9.00s from here. Like anything military of a certain age (especially UK-built) it's pretty grim inside. I've been there already with a 101. Once is enough.

OKA is a much nicer machine IMO.
http://www.oka.com.au/
Travelled in 'civilian' examples in Au. It's a shame they never caught on (also Perkins but too small was the complaint - at least a few years ago). In Au where there is a big 4WD bus scene Canter/Fusos and the like were much cheaper and easier to run even if they did not look the part (an important factor when flogging bus tours).

As it happens I'm near Withams on Saturday. I may go and have a closer look at the RB.

Ch

DBS311

Adventurer
I prefer SUV's over trucks, so if I were shopping for a NA expedition vehicle, the only thing I would look at would be the 7.3PS Excursion or Hummer H1.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Dodge Power Wagon

We'll see soon guys, I just bought a 2006 Dodge Power Wagon. I feel a bit weird getting rid of my modified Tacoma now, but, hey, change is good right? I'll report on it after I've had it awhile...

Scott Brady

Founder
DBS311 said:
I prefer SUV's over trucks, so if I were shopping for a NA expedition vehicle, the only thing I would look at would be the 7.3PS Excursion or Hummer H1.

I like the PS Excursion idea. I even considered one.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I believe Chris' question was framed around what domestic made (NA) made vehicles are appropriate for overland travel. He is likely just researching the topic editorially.

For those who have not matched the screen name, this is Chris Scott of Sahara Overland (and Overland Journal) fame...

The new JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon would also be high on my list.

I love the new Unlimited Rubi too, but do you think it has the load capacity to really be an expedition vehicle? The capability and volume - absolutly, but I was under the impression (possibly the false impression) that they just aren't up to carrying the heavy loads seen in overland travel.
Then there is the parts issue.
I'd love to be wrong.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
What about a Sportsmobile? I know it isn't really factory, but the packaging makes a lot of sense, has more room than any SUV, is all NA, and pretty capible for it's size.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You said NA built... So I guess that would Include Toyota's... Go with a Toyota, fixing things in the middle of nowhere can ruin a trip ;)

Otherwise, Any vehicle with a Cummins and a Manual trnny get's my nod. Cummins makes the best diesel in every aspect IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I agree with the Power wagon. Surprised it wasnt mentioned until the third page. 4.56 gears, lockers front and rear, Dana 60 Front, coiled, 12k pound winch. With Dodges new drivetrain warranty, Id overlook the cummins for domestic travel and drive the wheels off that truck. Ive actually been looking real close at that option and may be getting one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan