Best Driving Camera + Back Up Camera with App

BajaSurfRig

I am looking at replacing my old Amazon bought failing Van Top driving /back up camera set up with something more modern and with a smartphone app (so I can easily show footage on my iPhone if needed). Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Inline6

Adventurer
I use BlackVue setups in my cars. More dash cam with storage and an app. Not as much of a backup cam though.

MOAK

Adventurer
The short answer to your question is, hold your breath, no. As a retired professional driver I can say, without any hedging, that back up cameras and the necessary screens for viewing, are more of a hindrance to developing good driving habits, than a help. Just recently several studies have come out, complete with 10 years of data, to support my curmudgeonly views on back up cameras. Dash cams, on the other hand, do not claim to aid drivers, except in the collection of data for authorities to discover who was at fault in a collision. A dash cam is every good drivers friend. I’ve no recommendations, however one generally gets what one pays for.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The short answer to your question is, hold your breath, no. As a retired professional driver I can say, without any hedging, that back up cameras and the necessary screens for viewing, are more of a hindrance to developing good driving habits, than a help. Just recently several studies have come out, complete with 10 years of data, to support my curmudgeonly views on back up cameras. Dash cams, on the other hand, do not claim to aid drivers, except in the collection of data for authorities to discover who was at fault in a collision. A dash cam is every good drivers friend. I’ve no recommendations, however one generally gets what one pays for.

I agree, I didn't have a vehicle with a BU camera until 2015, didn't really use it. On my Jeep Cherokee I can get better results with mirrors, same with my F-150. Except with the f 150 it is handy with a small trailer, I can't see it in my mirrors and if it is loaded it's easier to back up to the trailer than pulling the trailer to the hitch.

That said, I'd like to get a camera set up for my cargo trailer, it might be be nice to have, not just for backing but for security.

Suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998