Best Eating Game Animal

ssc45

Observer
What do you find to be the best eating/ tasty game animal? I do recognize that the cook makes a big difference. For me, Eland is the best I have had and it has been outstanding every time, not just once. I have been very impressed with waterbuck, but it must be handled perfect. Croc was very good, but only had it once. I have taken white-tail deer around apple orchards and they have been great. Tried many other game animals, some not so good. So, what gets your vote?

Regards, SSC

762X39

Explorer
Caribou but as you stated, preparation is everything.:coffee:
My brother was a butcher by trade for 3 decades so he trained me to field prep my deer well and than hang it to age for at least 3 days before cutting it up. We always bone out the meat (I find it is less gamey ) and I only grind the trim for sausage (no sense hiding the wonderful taste). The steaks, roasts and tenderloins are awesome.

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That's a hard one as I like 'em all. But I think it's a toss up between bear and moose. Though I'll put out there that a PA elk raised on soybeans and corn tastes even better than a western elk. :drool:

flywgn

Explorer
In N. America I choose elk (wapiti).

I've eaten deer (three species), moose, reindeer, pronghorn, goat, and sheep...and a few rodents. Still choose elk as favorite.

In Great Britain the red deer is my favorite.

On the Continent I've experienced only red deer (roebuck) and hare. Neither overwhelmed me with gustatorial delight.

In Namibia we thoroughly enjoyed kudu and springbok and would choose the former as the better of the two for me and would choose it over N. American elk too.

Allen R

stewwalker

Observer
Nilgai

Smoked Nilgai tenderloin is the best, or as we tell clients when were cleaning there game, "the poison gland".

XpoNoobie

Observer
I mostly have deer and then once and a while rabbit. I havent had elk or moose close to 10yrs now, damn good eating for both of them. Ive bin thinking lately to start raising rabbits for eating them on a regular basis.

wcdu

Observer
I lean towards pheasant, sable, and then kudu. My wife goes for Pronghorn, pheasant, eland.

Do bullfrog legs count?

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78