Best Expedition 60?

CZDiesel

I have a 2006 LJ that I am building for extended trips into national forests and to Canada and Mexico... I want to replace the existing rear axle because of the added weight and the fact that I will be pulling a trailer with up to 2500lbs in it at times. I think the stock D44 with beefed up components "might" be alright but I'd rather not worry and over build so I'll focus on that :sombrero:

I've talked to Dynatrac, Currie, Solid, Terra, and a local builder. Dynatrac was very helpful and recommended their HP Trail 60, Currie was also helpful and recommended their RJ60, Solid (who I really wanted to talk to the most) just blew me off and said to use my stock D44, and the Terra rep I really couldn't understand though I think he said the CDR would be OK????

Question is have any of you who have actually put trekking miles on their vehicle of any kind used any of these manufactures and how has the customer support been when needed? Thanks!

Inline6

Adventurer
I figure your "need" for a 60 would revolve around your tire size choice. While towing and total gvw are a concern, thinking the 44 is acceptable. This might be why solid had their opinion.

Now if you just want a 60, then any you mentioned will do.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I run 35's and tow with my Grand that weighs 1k more than your Jeep and the built 44 is just fine, changing the 85W-140 gear oil once a year also helps. I would be more concerned with keeping the engine and tranny temps cool than the rear 44 when towing. Unless you drive like a total knucklehead when towing, your Jeep's rear end sees minimal shock loading when you tow, but it does see more heat. This is why a heavier gear oil is important.

SquareLJ

Observer
I was talking with David from Northridge 4x4 about a similar subject. A heavy LJ using the 44 or the 60. A built Dana 44 should be plenty good with the proper gearing.

CZDiesel

My want for the 60 does revolve around tire size, weight, terrain driven, and the want of doing all this without ANY worry.... The LJ is already over 4K when loaded and towing could be hovering around the 6000lb mark. I have 35" tires and do a lot of remote hunting and fishing on some extremely rugged terrain. I am also wanting to start doing extended expedition type trips. The last thing I want to do is burn up a set 10 bearing in the D44.
I was hoping someone with one of these rear ends would post their experience, thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You may have better luck editing the thread title to the effect of "thoughts on upgrading to a Dana 60", as the current title brings to mind a 60 series Landcruiser.

1stDeuce

Explorer
You're going to tow 2500 lbs behind a loaded LJ?
On 35's??
With the stock 4.0L???
The D44 is fine. You'll only be going 45 in 3rd or 4th gear the whole time anyway. You'll need a tranny cooler though. :)

I think you might want to check into stroking your 4.0 to a 4.5 or 4.7L before you drop huge coin on an axle that is pretty far into overkill... Just my opinion, of course.
For comparison, I occasionally tow my ~2800lb boat behind my empty and stripped (no doors, top, back seat...) Unlimited length TJ on 285's with 4.10 gears. It doesn't like it AT ALL, (I only have to go 10 miles or so) and I use 3rd and 4th a LOT and 5th never. I don't have brakes on the boat trailer, and stopping is ok at best. If you won't have trailer brakes, you might want to check into doing the WJ brake upgrade, particularly with 35's.
Good luck!
Chris

CZDiesel

OK then.... Its not like I haven't had Jeep for some time now. I think I know the vehicle pretty well and what Jeep shortcomings are. Thanks for all the input, guess I will look else where for a informed opinion...

SquareLJ

Observer
OK then.... Its not like I haven't had Jeep for some time now. I think I know the vehicle pretty well and what Jeep shortcomings are. Thanks for all the input, guess I will look else where for a informed opinion...

You came here asking us what axle you should run while towing with a loaded LJ. We told you that the D44 should be more then enough however there are some serious other problems related to towing with a loaded LJ. Jeeps dont have a very high tow rating for a reason. They'll just get pushed around and the brakes aren't strong enough for it.

You seem to just want someone to agree with you that you should get the D60. So here it is: Go get the Dana 60, upgrade your front brakes to Vanco's big brake kit, look into some more power for the 4.0L and get a fatty trans cooler. Good luck to ya.

Recce01

Adventurer
Well. I can give you an opinion on the Rock Jock 60's. We recently installed them in our 2012 JK at work, and they have performed flawlessly. The guys at Currie were absolutely awesome to work with and knew exactly what we were looking for. Not unlike yourself, we explored the option of a built up D44, and were told it would likely be fine. We are running Maxxis Trepador 37X12.50X17 "Non-sticky" version tires. We too selected the RJ60s just for peace of mind. Knowing that these axles can stand up to way more than we intended to put them through simply made us confident. We have driven to maob and back from Very southern california without issue. If you decide to go this route, be sure to request their latest "Full floater" version which is their top of the line offering at the moment. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader

Some of us have been doing this Jeep stuff for a very long time and do actually know what we are talking about, so drop the attitude before you get out on the road and kill someone because you THINK you "know the vehicle pretty good".

CZDiesel

You came here asking us what axle you should run while towing with a loaded LJ. We told you that the D44 should be more then enough however there are some serious other problems related to towing with a loaded LJ. Jeeps dont have a very high tow rating for a reason. They'll just get pushed around and the brakes aren't strong enough for it.

You seem to just want someone to agree with you that you should get the D60. So here it is: Go get the Dana 60, upgrade your front brakes to Vanco's big brake kit, look into some more power for the 4.0L and get a fatty trans cooler. Good luck to ya.
NO..... That's not what I "came here" for! I asked and titled a very specific question. I asked which was the best aftermarket 60 for expedition trips. I did not ask how you thought I should outfit my vehicle! And, in addition, you have no clue as to what I have for a motor or brakes.... Oh, BTW a 2006 LJ has a 3500lb tow rating from Jeep! But thank you for being insulting and driving me away from this forum! I guess I should expect it from the net, but having been a fan of the expedition trips threads I thought I could ask a simple question without being talked down to. I guess my 30+ years of off-roading and my ASE certs are just not starched enough for this crowd..... Thanks for showing me how it works here :)

Well. I can give you an opinion on the Rock Jock 60's. We recently installed them in our 2012 JK at work, and they have performed flawlessly. The guys at Currie were absolutely awesome to work with and knew exactly what we were looking for. Not unlike yourself, we explored the option of a built up D44, and were told it would likely be fine. We are running Maxxis Trepador 37X12.50X17 "Non-sticky" version tires. We too selected the RJ60s just for peace of mind. Knowing that these axles can stand up to way more than we intended to put them through simply made us confident. We have driven to maob and back from Very southern california without issue. If you decide to go this route, be sure to request their latest "Full floater" version which is their top of the line offering at the moment. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
Thank you Recce! Thanks for the only answer to my question! Are you confident that the Curries have the type of oiling that a expedition vehicle needs over long trips? I looked at the FF RJ60s and they look exactly like what Im looking for! One can keep a spare shaft or two and not have to worry about a hard replacement in the case of a broken shaft..... Again, thanks for the post

CZDiesel

Some of us have been doing this Jeep stuff for a very long time and do actually know what we are talking about, so drop the attitude before you get out on the road and kill someone because you THINK you "know the vehicle pretty good".
Good grief.... I hope your all proud of the Jeep section here on EP! Responses like this make me wonder where mods are and how old Black ZJ is! Yeah, your a cool guy buddy and your not the only one who has been off road...
Good grief!

Last edited:

Recce01

Adventurer
Thank you Recce! Thanks for the only answer to my question! Are you confident that the Curries have the type of oiling that a expedition vehicle needs over long trips? I looked at the FF RJ60s and they look exactly like what Im looking for! One can keep a spare shaft or two and not have to worry about a hard replacement in the case of a broken shaft..... Again, thanks for the post

I suggest you call Currie and speak to David, he is the engineer over there. I know they have been very mindful of fluid flow in their 3rd members. He will be able to answer all of your questions.

Recce01

Adventurer

FYI, read all the posts before and then after this particular post. I think this is the post leading to the animosity you are experiencing. Remember that people can't hear tone when reading text, so they will generate their own. You basically expresed in this post that people here are not informed, pretty much an insult no matter how you look at it. With any insult, people will "insert" an insulting tone further elevating their defensive mechanism. You made the request for an opinion, you received several. You then insulted those who took the time to respond to you. They became defensive and expressed themselves, then you respond with this....

Good grief.... I hope your all proud of the Jeep section here on EP! Responses like this make me wonder where mods are and how old Black ZJ is! Yeah, your a cool guy buddy and your not the only one who has been off road...
Good grief!

I "am" proud of the Jeep section over here on EP, these are a great bunch of guys. If a moderator were to slide in here to do a little moderation he would likely see what I saw. Generally I stay clear of this type of stuff, and actually tried to see past your insults and help answer your question. We, and I think I speak for all of us, would be happy to help anyone who drops by for some intel. All we ask is that you are respectful, even if you dont like the "opinion" you requested/received. Expedition Portal is an incredible community and would be happy to have you as a member, just please understand that we are not like many forums you find out there.... we are all grown up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179