Best Expedition 60?

CZDiesel

Thanks again Recce.... As to your take, I did read before and after. I asked a simple and direct question and received peoples opinions OFF TOPIC and on a completely other subject. Never once was it asked "In your opinion, do I need" Not once! I asked for people experiences with expedition rigs that had aftermarket 60s in them.
I also can read into tone while reading a post, I tried several times to go back on topic and was given attitude myself first. If this is a place were people freely share knowledge they have a funny way of doing it!
Its OK Reece, thanks again for the help. Next time I'll just pick up a phone and call a real outfitting expert rather that deal with the fine bunch of bullies here..... You can have them :ylsmoke:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Good grief.... I hope your all proud of the Jeep section here on EP! Responses like this make me wonder where mods are and how old Black ZJ is! Yeah, your a cool guy buddy and your not the only one who has been off road...
Good grief!

I'm old enough to have served my country from 1995-2000 protecting folks like yourself with thin skin from the big bad wolf. And I learned a long time ago that ASE is an acronym for Ask Someone Else, as most "mechanics" have no real experience with parts outside of their normal use or function. I actually had several ASE certifications myself but decided that most shops are very poorly run, so I had my own successful mobile mechanic business for awhile until I went back to school, best day was the time I rebuilt a kid's d35 on the trail for $600 in 4 hours. So while I may not have "30+ years of off-roading experience"(only 13 years), I have enough experience with Jeeps to speak with confidence when someone asks a question. If I had 30 years of doing this I would already know what works without having to ask....

Thanks again Recce.... As to your take, I did read before and after. I asked a simple and direct question and received peoples opinions OFF TOPIC and on a completely other subject. Never once was it asked "In your opinion, do I need" Not once! I asked for people experiences with expedition rigs that had aftermarket 60s in them.
I also can read into tone while reading a post, I tried several times to go back on topic and was given attitude myself first. If this is a place were people freely share knowledge they have a funny way of doing it!
Its OK Reece, thanks again for the help. Next time I'll just pick up a phone and call a real outfitting expert rather that deal with the fine bunch of bullies here..... You can have them :ylsmoke:

If by "bullies" you mean a group of people who actually know what works on the trail and the required upgrades needed to safely tow with a Wrangler to protect the general public, then I am happy to be one of them.

CZDiesel

I'm old enough to have served my country from 1995-2000 protecting folks like yourself with thin skin from the big bad wolf. And I learned a long time ago that ASE is an acronym for Ask Someone Else, as most "mechanics" have no real experience with parts outside of their normal use or function. I actually had several ASE certifications myself but decided that most shops are very poorly run, so I had my own successful mobile mechanic business for awhile until I went back to school, best day was the time I rebuilt a kid's d35 on the trail for $600 in 4 hours. So while I may not have "30+ years of off-roading experience"(only 13 years), I have enough experience with Jeeps to speak with confidence when someone asks a question. If I had 30 years of doing this I would already know what works without having to ask....

If by "bullies" you mean a group of people who actually know what works on the trail and the required upgrades needed to safely tow with a Wrangler to protect the general public, then I am happy to be one of them.
Your a funny guy ZJ! You've got all the answers don't ya :Wow1:
I'm also a vet who served my country in two foreign wars. I dont feel the need to pull that out and throw it around at people I dont know and I would never dishonor my service by using it to try and belittle someone on the net... Guess there is a obvious difference between us isnt there....
As for your lack of respect for individuals who have worked hard for a certification of any kind it isn't easy to see why, you seem the sort that is disrespectful in general so why should ASE technition be any different right?
Also your know it attitude is what gets people into trouble! I know what has worked for me and my vehicles over the years but that doesn't mean I have attained your obvious expertise on every subject... I have never used a HP60 from any of the aftermarket companies, hence the question! I do know my brother who has the exact same vehicle as I slid while at Rousch Creek and bent the axle at the flange and destroyed the bearing.... When off road these things happen. But a D60 with its larger shaft, bearing, end might have been able to take that hit. There is a big difference between a D44 1.3" shaft and a D60 1.5" shaft, likewise with a set 10 and a set 20 bearing and housing ends.... This I do know! I have never seen or talked to someone in person that used a HP rear 60 with its different oiling to know how well it travels...
I also have towed quite a bit but you wouldn't know that... I seem to somehow have never been in an accident in my life, wonder how I was able to do that without your so called trail knowledge :confused:
No,what I mean by bullies are a poster like yourself that assume they know everything about everything and veer off topic to spout their nonsense! And then when you politely disagree or try to put the thread back on topic you start with the personal insults like "before you kill someone" "danger to the general public"
You are good for a laugh though ZJ, most Cliff Clavins are :coffeedrink:

irish1371

Adventurer
the currie rotated 3rd member use to have oiling problems to the pinion bearing and the tera flex 60 use to fall apart due to crappy oiling and re using of items like pinion bearings( probably a poorly trained installer)

As of today I have not heard of these problems still existing with the rear end from these guys, except the possibility of a tera eating itself after a factory gear change from a reused pinion bearing being preloaded wrong.

good luck in your choice.

It sounds like you maybe pushing the max load limit on the LJ and may want to check into other areas to address beyond just the rear end, but I expect you maybe already covering those too.

1stDeuce

Explorer
To the defense of some of our responses, your title may have led to us thinking you were perhaps a bit novice, as it's common to say "Dana 60" or "D60" in the wheeling world. On ExPo, a "60" is a Land Cruiser, even in the Jeep section. :)

I don't think many here are into the hard core "offroad" scene, so you're asking realists (cheapskates?) who are likely running stock powertrians about an axle upgrade that they would never do... Not trying to be rude, just steer you in a more helpful direction under the assumption that someone is whispering in your ear that you really need an axle that you probably don't. (Very common in the wheeling world... "Everyone KNOWS you NEED a Dana60.. That 44 will never holdup...")

Since it is rather obvious that our assumptions were off base, I'd like to apologize.

I can give you the useful bit of info that if your jeep is running a rotated diff housing to line the pinion up with the driveshaft, you'll want to inquire with the mfg specifically about oiling at highway speeds, as turning the pinion up often starves the upper pinion bearing on any axle. Some of the aftermarket D60's have significant engineering into feeding the bearings with the pinion pointed up. Some are normal D60 housings that will probably not like running extended periods at highway speed while towing, particularly if you have something a little more hp than a stock 4.0L.

Good luck!
C

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Not being an expert in the D60 at all, in regard to the oiling issue, can't you get a new diff cover that has a higher drain plug (ala Ruff Stuff) to use more oil? Not a hijack since the question is pertinent to the discussion of will a D60 tow better than a D44.

John

SquareLJ

Observer
Just throwing this out there; I stopped chiming in since I re-read this at a normal persons time while not being annoyed and realized that I came off like a ************.

It does seem that you've already settled on getting yourself a Dana 60 so I will offer this bit of advice. On Currie's website, it says that their RockJock Dana 60 is used for lightweight Jeeps and rock crawling and it also says that it has a 4,000lbs weight limit. According to their website it is also 40-60lbs lighter then other manufactures' Dana 60s.

From what I've read and seen, Dynatrac's Dana 60 seems to be all around the best unit. Though, the most heavy at 85lbs.

CZDiesel

To the defense of some of our responses, your title may have led to us thinking you were perhaps a bit novice, as it's common to say "Dana 60" or "D60" in the wheeling world. On ExPo, a "60" is a Land Cruiser, even in the Jeep section. :)

I don't think many here are into the hard core "offroad" scene, so you're asking realists (cheapskates?) who are likely running stock powertrians about an axle upgrade that they would never do... Not trying to be rude, just steer you in a more helpful direction under the assumption that someone is whispering in your ear that you really need an axle that you probably don't. (Very common in the wheeling world... "Everyone KNOWS you NEED a Dana60.. That 44 will never holdup...")

Since it is rather obvious that our assumptions were off base, I'd like to apologize.

Good luck!
C
Thank you 1st D :beer: I guess I could have done a better job at the title and I probably should have posted a hello first, saying hello and giving some background.... I guess I deserve some of the blame too

Not being an expert in the D60 at all, in regard to the oiling issue, can't you get a new diff cover that has a higher drain plug (ala Ruff Stuff) to use more oil? Not a hijack since the question is pertinent to the discussion of will a D60 tow better than a D44.

John
John, the problem with just adding more gear oil is pressure. One can usually get away with adding a little more than the prescribed level but much more than that and you will build too much pressure in the diff and just blow it out the breather... Or worse yet you will start blowing seals.
Just throwing this out there; I stopped chiming in since I re-read this at a normal persons time while not being annoyed and realized that I came off like a ************.

It does seem that you've already settled on getting yourself a Dana 60 so I will offer this bit of advice. On Currie's website, it says that their RockJock Dana 60 is used for lightweight Jeeps and rock crawling and it also says that it has a 4,000lbs weight limit. According to their website it is also 40-60lbs lighter then other manufactures' Dana 60s.

From what I've read and seen, Dynatrac's Dana 60 seems to be all around the best unit. Though, the most heavy at 85lbs.
Thanks SLJ, as I said above I guess I could have done a better job with my title and saying hello too :beer:
As to the Currie RJ60 you are correct in its RJ1 form but with the RJ2s and RJ3s they use a iron center designed for much more weight.... You are also correct about the DynaTrecs being the heaviest and this is why I am leaning to the Currie. Still, with the size of the purchase it would make me feel better if someone had one of them with serious trekking miles. Recce's trip from Cali to Utah and back again with the weight of a JKU is reassuring though :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger