Best First Aid Kit for aprox. $50

skitime

Observer
I am looking to replace my first aid kit for our 4x4. I know you can spend a lot of money but at around $50 what would you get?

seanz0rz

Adventurer
in searching for one for my rig, i couldnt find anything in my price range with what i wanted. they were either cheap and very simple (nothing more than asprin and bandaids) or very expensive (with stuff i didnt think i needed)

i ended up buying a cheap kit and adding extensively to it. stuff like lots of gauze patches and rolls, tape, snake bite kit (something is better than nothing...) a good selection of bandaids, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, a couple of tubes of super glue (hey, it works! burns like fire, but works!) i carry a few emergency blankets at all times, they can also double as signal material.

alot of it is just making the stuff you have work and the knowledge to use it all properly.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
This one is pretty basic...but ok for under $50.

http://www.rei.com/product/736308

I'd save up and take the $200 Wilderness First Aid course from WMI/Nols...which would teach you a lot towards improvising how to deal with situations with just the basics...or nothing at all.

-H-

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't think you're going to find much for $50. You're probably better putting something together yourself. Those cheap kits tend to just have junk in them, bandaids, tweazers, maybe a piece of gauze if you're lucky.

I got a pretty decent one from Costco for about $100. Has lots of gauze, slings, sterile pads, medical sizors, sting and burn treatments, etc. I carry it around always, and have even used it a few times to patch up other people in the real world. Once cut his hand badly on broken glass, the other I think he stabbed himself in the hand with a knife trying to work on his motorcycle. Insisted on doing the ride anyway... That one required much gauze, and duct tape, no kidding.

Oh yeah, and make sure you have several pairs of gloves, and ALWAYS use them when working on strangers.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Adventure Medical Kits perhaps?

I have no connection to them, but I have owned a kit or two from Adventure Medical. I also have a kit or two from the American Red Cross. All kits will be relatively basic until you equip them for your needs and uses. There are many on this forum that can give you informed guidance on this subject. I always try and recommend though, that if your purchasing a kit... know what your getting and get what you know how to properly use!! Many a injury can be escalated without some sort of training, from simple to complex.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Surprisingly, I found a decent starter kit at Wal-Mart for about $25. It consisted of a red cordura (or similar) zipper bag with basic first aid supplies. The bag was large enough to add many more items, i.e., filling in the gaps between the contents of the kit and my son's checklist for a patrol size back country first aid kit found in his First Aid merit badge book, plus the additional items recommended by his Scoutmaster (a physician). Total investment, including the additional supplies, was about $45.

Previously, I made up my own first aid kits for my jeep and trailer (one for each) using 50 cal. "fat boy" ammo cans and dividing the contents of packages purchased at the local chain drug store and medical supply house between the two cans. Cost was less than $50 each.

Captain K-man

Adventurer
You might want to look at a emergency medical supply co. like galls.com or mooremedical.com most of them have stocked kits, or you can buy what you need.

I agree with John E. snake bite kits are a waste of $$$. they don't work that good

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
4X4 Connection has an ARMY M-3 Medical Kit for $54.95. Available here.

cruiserconnection_2045_7355227

Used by military medic professionals. Comes in olive drab nylon shoulder bag measuring approx. 9.5" x 6" x 7". Contains 125 items for trained medic first aid. The perfect kit for wilderness surivival.

We recommend one of these in every truck that will ever see the trail or the open road. This kit contains many of the neccessary first aid items to ensure your safety and the safety of others, when medical attention is not available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior