Best insulation for aluminum sides, and tent, for popup camper shells like GoFast, Topo, OVRLND, etc?

dstefan

This is what I used. It’s worked well. I like that it’s also good for keeping heat out in the AZ sun.

Checkout this stuff: https://www.usenergyproducts.com/collections/reflective-sealer-foam-core-1
Its like Reflectix, but 5mm closed cell foam core with actual insulation capability, which Reflectix really doesn’t have. Not sure I fully believe their R8 rating, though.

I just finished insulating our camper shell with it. I’ve also used Rflectix for other things in the past. This stuff is as easy to work with and as light, but seems more durable and certainly is more insulating. I put it up with VHB, and it’s held up really well so far. The nice thing is you can VHB it to the frame members and leave an air gap to the skin and avoid the thermal bridging problems. I covered it up with white chloroplast, except for the ceiling and we really like it. You can find this on Amazon, which is where I first ran into it, but it’s mostly 3 mm foam core, which to my mind is not thick enough. I just ordered it straight from US Energy Products, and they have a lot more options in sizes and lengths.

Dave in AZ

This is what I used. It’s worked well. I like that it’s also good for keeping heat out in the AZ sun.
I had your link to this saved already, so far it is my #1 lead! Your build thread is one of my favorites here.

Sounds like this ticks all the boxes-- flexible, easy to work, good for Phx heat also, and a recommendation from someone with enough experience with product to trust.

Thx!

Alloy

The best insulation I've used (allot of it) for the inside of aluminum (100 grit sand paper and 3M spray contact cement) is Amacell and finished with either vinyl or hull liner.

It's not cheap

https://www.armacell.us/applications/solutions/thermal/?US.

Cheaper alternatives are EVA and EPE foam with the cheapest being Polyethylene foam

Condensation is your enemy so you'll want to air seal / keep the inside air away from any aluminum. Detailing makes a big difference.

rruff

Explorer
I had your link to this saved already, so far it is my #1 lead! Your build thread is one of my favorites here.

Sounds like this ticks all the boxes-- flexible, easy to work, good for Phx heat also, and a recommendation from someone with enough experience with product to trust.
Except that they are getting all their "R" from a radiation air gap, which I wouldn't trust unless you can ensure that gap. The foam is only 0.2" thick will have an R <1.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I guess that 8 hrs of solid reading and video watching is enough prestudy to be allowed to ask a question on the internet... as I said in OP, I have not been able to determine which option is best for this application.

As I said in the OP title, it is a popup truck camper shell like OVRLND or GoFast. It is actually a Tune M1, like an Alucab, but folks won't be familiar probably. I plan on using a chinese diesel heater. Based on a day of vids on thise, the 8kw is the exact same as 5kw, no actual extra heat, just a marketing scam, and the 5kw is really about 4.8kw, a copy of the Esparsomething.

Based on reports from multiple folks in various similar campers, at 32f even with the 5kw diesel, it wasn't enough for uninsulated camper.

Various threads exist of folks who just decided to insulate and used xps pinkboard from HD, or polyiso from Lowes, or reflectix mylar bubblewrap, or a 5mm foam foil roll. Few if any have reported on issues, just that they did it. They all have an R value of 5 to 6 per inch it seems.

What I am looking for are details to decide which one is better for various.
1. Install, half inch hardboard polyiso with foil, cut to size? Or flexible soft foam foil-- which is easier to work with and gives better end results
2. 3M tape, or 3M super77 spray adhesive, or some kind of caulk? Any adhesion issues?
3. Popup tent use, is 5mm foam with foil flexible enough to stay in place when putting tent down, or does it have to be removed each time?
4. Just any pro con comments from folks that have used to insulate small truck bed shell popups.

Perhaps, misunderstood;

I'd go with what's popular, it's popular for a reason, pick one, blue or pink, I prefer refletix. I suggest you not glue or attach any insulation to your canvas, put it up and take it down as needed.

I have used 3M 77 on several project/vans, it works very well using as directed.

In '05, A friend and I used spray foam, Great Stuff, to insulate a Leer camper shell, used masonite over blue board screwed to firing strips inside, sprayed in the foam behind the blue board, then covered the walls with 1/2 inch foam rubber (3m glue) and then glued material on. Used PVC gutters, cut down for material to make window frames which were also covered with material. About a 3 full day project. The F 150 had a OEM bed liner installed.

Foam expands, so use in short spurts to fill in walls, ceiling and gaps, shave off excess. It's messy, have plenty of rubbing alcohol on hand for clean up.

Used the 1/2 inch foam rubber with material glued on to make a panel to cover the interior back window. (Reflectix would be good to add to that).

Result; looked very nice, it was mistaken for a factory finish by folks in the camper business.

Best thing about it, it was quieter with the window cover rolled down. Radiant heat on a summer day wasn't as bad, walls were no hotter than the air temperature, it was a bit cooler simply being in the shade.

Was it really "camper worthy"? NO! Not at that point.

The bed wasn't insulated, it is not air tight at the back and side windows or at the tailgate.

In cold weather, a Little Buddy propane heater would burn you out of there, but the floor/bed was cold, windows were wet if they were fully closed. So, while your top is insulated, the bed isn't and you have air leaks, not to mention open windows for ventilation.

Toppers on a pickup are not campers, they are for security and weather protection of cargo, like for your bird dogs. They are better than a tent as to protection, frankly, a good tent is better to heat or cool. At best, they are mild weather campers.

All this reminded me of an alternative to insulate a small area, I used in an "emergency" (unplanned) cold weather outing; Harbor Freight moving blankets! They are made of who knows what and paper, simple to use and apply like a tarp, but be careful, they are not fire resistant at all.....heat+too close=poof.

All said and done, DIY insulation in something trying to make a halfass camper out of seems to be a waste of time and money, unless you do the project for giggles to make something you will believe is more efficient than it really is. It's easier to just add more heat or cold air in an enclosed area, understanding it's all going to be wasted outside, it's not a house.

Dave in AZ

Made a video showing removable tent and side rail insulation, and installing it for first time. Pretty fast.

I used the closed cell foam double foil 5mm duct insulation, same as @dstefan I think.

So it's my first public video, Not great skilz but hopefully good content for you all! So, hoping I get a few likes but totally forgot to ask for all that "smash that like button!" Stuff lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior