Best Jeep-Specific Online Forums?

m-l_johnny

Thanks for the info on pirate. I haven’t been on there in quite awhile.
Is the new forum just as brutal for “stupid” questions?

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Most Jeep Forums are all about a bunch of like minded guys who back slap and high five anyone agreeing with or copying what they do. None of them are open to renegades doing anything but the status quo..... hence so many modified Jeeps look like clones of the rest of them. Some are kind of polite about it, some are downright rude.

This forum which has everything on it might be one of the best. But if you want to crawl up a waterfall on 35s..... the rest are good choices. Define what you want to do and go where that is the theme.

Overlanding, exploring, expeditions, camping, travelling with lots of gear for days on end with limited options to refuel... stay here.

Wrangler TJ Forum was a favourite of mine but I'm past that now.

Jeep Forum is another forum going beyond the TJ.

Wrangler Forum is another well established fotum

^ This is exactly what I've found.

I'm a Jeep Wrangler owner, have been for many, many years. For the past year or so I've been considering upgrading from my 2-door Rubicon to something a bit more roomy - and perhaps more economical to drive, like the new diesel Jeep. So I've spent a lot of time on the above forums. Scary. Lots of people complaining about the problems they are having with their brand spanking new Jeeps. Here's a couple screen shots I grabbed off the forums...can you imagine poking along in your Jeep 100 miles from the nearest pavement when messages like these pop up, then your Jeep shuts down?
Jeep key fob.jpg

Jeep warning.jpg

Lots of posts about Wranglers suffering death wobble even when brand new. Also, all newer Jeeps now have two batteries...one of them is a small hidden one, hard to get to, that dies frequently and when it does, the Jeep is disabled. Then there's the Wranglers with "Etorque", an electric motor between the engine and transmission....suffice it to say, I decided to stay with what I've got, old reliable.

And should you mention all these problems on one of the Jeep forums they jump all over you, telling you it is part of the Jeep's personality, it's a "Jeep thing". You can really cause an uproar if you mention a Bronco or 4Runner...but if you ask advice about putting 40" tires on your Wrangler you'll get pages of helpful comments.

billiebob

We're planning to buy a recent Wrangler for travel in Canada this year and next, and it would be really useful to learn from others what other "classic Jeep issues" to expect, rather than learning the hard way.
Classic Jeeps really don't have issues and the issues you quoted with Dans JT have no solutions yet, at least not a solution for a home fix or parts you can carry for a field fix. Anything new is always a crap shoot for gremlins, anything old has likely already had the gremlins fixed.

But with any 4x4 the classic issues are driveline u-joints and steering knuckles which are simple for any shop to fix and proper maintenance will find before hey break on a trail.

Maybe go to a factory website and read all the recall notices for whatever you are thinking of buying.

Last edited:

alanymarce

Thanks for the recall notice idea - makes sense.

Seems that as long as we buy something a few years old the bugs will have been worked out. That's what we were planning anyway, since we can;t afford a new one (or more accurately, we prefer to spend the difference on travelling).

To be fair to new Jeeps, we've had three bought new (Cherokees, not Wranglers) and had zero problems with them. The first was bought in the USA, then shipped to Europe and driven 170,000 km without a single problem. The others weren't driven so far but also had no problems.

alanymarce

Off topic but where are you planning to go in Canada?
Hi: we;ve been in Vancouver for two weeks and have bought a LWB JK Wrangler and built in a bed frame. More work when we get back to Vancouver after 2 weeks in Montréal and another two weeks in Nova Scotia - put in a mattress and add a few items - should take a few days. After that we plan time in BC, Yukon, NWT, and probably Alberta, then back to Vancouver. We'll leave the vehicle over the winter and return next year for another 5 or 6 months, perhaps adding time in Alaska and elsewhere in the USA, depending on circumstances.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hi: we;ve been in Vancouver for two weeks and have bought a LWB JK Wrangler and built in a bed frame. More work when we get back to Vancouver after 2 weeks in Montréal and another two weeks in Nova Scotia - put in a mattress and add a few items - should take a few days. After that we plan time in BC, Yukon, NWT, and probably Alberta, then back to Vancouver. We'll leave the vehicle over the winter and return next year for another 5 or 6 months, perhaps adding time in Alaska and elsewhere in the USA, depending on circumstances.
Sounds like a fantastic trip!

d0jo

• Wranglerforums - that’s been my go to for JK info.
  • You might have seen “wayalife” on YouTube or social media, stay away from there unless you plan to run only what their leader says to slap on your Jeep and anything else his minions are out to attack you because it’s not evo. It’s a cult of wannabe try hard jeepers that get on their hands and knees to kiss Eddie’s ass. Some good info and write ups can be found but don’t for his videos or posts.

JJS2

JKOwners.com is a good reference for modifications and trouble-shooting. It's not as active as it once was - perhaps because by its name, it doesn't include JL/JTs - so there's been some attrition, as people change to newer models.

Now and then you may get a sharp reply - especially if you ask a question before searching the Forum for an answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78