Best Land Rover Mod... Ever.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
My best mod ever was the bottle opener. I have spring isolators sitting on a shelf in the garage and need to get around to putting them in. Hope it makes as big a difference with my truck.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Any more tables being produced... maybe a limited edition... maybe a 60th anniversary ed.

:costumed-smiley-007

sinuhexavier

Explorer
The step by step construction of this unique rear door table will be featured in a forthcoming issue of Overland Journal.

2341415585_c7c5e9088e_o.jpg

So what you have here is a brushed stainless steel with Baltic Birch rear door and table setup designed and constructed by Marc Olivares.

2342246410_2cc1bc72d8_o.jpg

Baltic Birch is used for it's outstanding quality true plane.

2341415041_169401f064_o.jpg

Unscrewed all the way to allow no hang up on the surface.

2341414793_af61985f5b_o.jpg

A stainless steel hook for hanging a garbage bag.

2342244844_489e7768db_o.jpg

Durable plastic knobs screw into the stainless steel panel to keep the door up.

2341415741_24d98d8cb2_o.jpg

A full set of knives is now a back country essential.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
So now I have to take my wife's set of knives on the trail? We don't have Henkels. Will Messermeisters do?

sinuhexavier

Explorer
The wife has the good set of knives in the kitchen... Anything will do, I have just found that having a nice set of knives really makes a difference in keeping her motivation up for going out. She will rarely go out on a weekend trip, instead she holds out for the week+ outings.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Oh, I'm all about having good quality knives in the kitchen. I'm finally getting the wife to see the difference between a good set and a Walmart set.

That said, I think the old Walmart knives will get the nod for camping.:)

bovw

Explorer
sinuhexavier said:
The step by step construction of this unique rear door table will be featured in a forthcoming issue of Overland Journal.
Outstanding. I've heard much about the fabled Olivares table.

RoverMack

Adventurer
bovw said:
Outstanding. I've heard much about the fabled Olivares table.

I had the chance to see this piece of LR folklore in person at EE several weeks ago, but was unfortunately pushed for time. (Fortunately the P38 has the drop down tailgate for those picnics at the polo fields)

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
RoverMack said:
I had the chance to see this piece of LR folklore in person at EE several weeks ago, but was unfortunately pushed for time. (Fortunately the P38 has the drop down tailgate for those picnics at the polo fields)

Maybe you should pull the panel and cover it with SS anyway.

;)

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
sinuhexavier said:
I recently went back to an 2" OME suspension setup from 2" RTE. The RTE's just did not hold up the way I needed them to. I think they are great springs when the truck is completely unloaded and it is primarily used for day trips. I was finding myself with a saggy rear end once I had all of my photo equipment, tool kit and fuel loaded up. All in all, my rear sagged about 1.5 inches.

The solution from people running RTE springs and Steve himself was to go with a taller (3") spring on the rear. This was not an acceptable solution, my thoughts being that I would still have a heavily laden truck with noodle-ish springs in the rear, I needed solid.
I run the 3" RTE springs and love the way my truck handles - loaded and unloaded. I will never run OME again but that is my personal preference. I'm glad you were able to find a cheap solution to your problem.:snorkel:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
stevenmd said:
I run the 3" RTE springs and love the way my truck handles - loaded and unloaded. I will never run OME again but that is my personal preference. I'm glad you were able to find a cheap solution to your problem.:snorkel:

I think the RTE's are a great product, but in my particular situation they simply didn't work. My truck rarely does a hard 4WD trail, it goes long distances on rough roads 90% of the time heavily loaded.

Here is a weight breakdown...

210 lbs. 35 gallons of Fuel including on-board tank
120 lbs. Tools, spares, fluids, recovery (pelican 1620)
50 lbs. Camera Equipment (pelican 1610)
50 lbs. Kitchen, dry foods, can foods (pelican 1620 + custom drawer)
20 lbs. On-board Air
83 lbs. Water
50 lbs. ARB Fridge Full
50 lbs. Climbing equip (pelican 1610)
50 lbs. Camping equip, tent, bags, chairs, tarps, etc. (pelican 1610 + nook)

That alone is 683 lbs. not including a bumper, winch, rack, sliders...

Unfortunately RTE doesn't make a spring with a rate that high, in fact when you put the new OME's next to the RTE's, they look small and don't inspire much confidence for an overlander.

The spring isolators were just a bonus that make a world of difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman