Best method for attaching flexible solar to roof

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'd note also that I originally bought this panel since it was so light and thin, the idea was that I would slip it out of an interior storage slot and deploy it in sunny spots when we were rolling in a vintage Airstream that I didn't want to attach new stuff to the roof.

But by itself it's actually pretty fragile and needs to be mounted to something to avoid bending too much and cracking the plastic or the cells! So I'd either get something designed for that or a rigid for that kind of use.

SameGuy

Observer
I've got a 120 watt foldable panel which works quite nicely attached to the rear roof of my camper with velcro when parked. It produces more power than I need most of the time, mainly just running the ARB 63, various lights and when it's hot, the vent fan. The only issue I have with it is forgetting to put it up after I have raised the roof and futzing with packing and unpacking it, and the possibility of forgetting it's up there and driving off with it flapping in the breeze. (unlikely but possible)

Attachments

• IMG_1965.jpeg
    IMG_1965.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3155.jpeg
    IMG_3155.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 50

ConcordCarlos1

I just bought two of these :

HQST 100W 12V Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel,9BB 100 Watts Mono Solar Panel,Polished PET Coating,23% High Efficiency Module PV Power,IP67 Waterproof for RV Camper Van Boat Yacht Cabin Shed https://a.co/d/1CkveqT
These are the less flexible , flexible panels.

They will be replacing the single 210w rigid one. It was/is making it hard for my wife to pop the camper (2021 Hawk) top up in the front. I like the aluminum sheet idea so I can mount to the Yakima tracks. Also considering two slightly thicker aluminum bars to span the racks to insure a proper air gap and not have any shading.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have used Eternabond and will use it again good stuff. Just look at the name tells you all you need to know.

KenC

OutThere
Check out Merlin Solar (USA) peel and stick solar panels for all occasions at 4thdsolar.com.

RDinNHand AZ

I’ve been thinking of a pair of these from a respected maker with tape already installed. One for each side of my Casita 17” Spirit Deluxe running in parallel. It would seem they must have tested the tape and found it works and lasts.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I’ve been thinking of a pair of these from a respected maker with tape already installed. One for each side of my Casita 17” Spirit Deluxe running in parallel. It would seem they must have tested the tape and found it works and lasts.
I would still seam the edges with the 3M edge tape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle