Best new stock 1/2 ton truck for overloading

dado5

I am in the market for a new truck. Prob 1/2 ton. 95% for daily commuting and then fishing, hunting and camping when possible. I would rather keep suspension stock if possible. I can always put better tires on. I would like to be able to things such as Arkansas overland rout, white rim trail, TAT out west and be fairly self reliant. I may put a RTT on rack in bed or FWC type camper. Is any current truck better out of the box than the other? Ford tremor f150? I would rather not get a ZR2 if I don't have to mainly due to gas mileage and the need for high octane fuel (I am mostly commuting in it). If everyone says ZR2 is the one I will look at it.

I am in the market for a new truck. Prob 1/2 ton. 95% for daily commuting and then fishing, hunting and camping when possible. I would rather keep suspension stock if possible. I can always put better tires on. I would like to be able to things such as Arkansas overland rout, white rim trail, TAT out west and be fairly self reliant. I may put a RTT on rack in bed or FWC type camper. Is any current truck better out of the box than the other? Ford tremor f150? I would rather not get a ZR2 if I don't have to mainly due to gas mileage and the need for high octane fuel (I am mostly commuting in it). If everyone says ZR2 is the one I will look at it.
If you’re good with a new truck . I would look at the 2024 Chevy 1500 ZR2. They’re adding the option for the duramax 3.0L diesel. I have a 2023 Chevy 1500 High Country w/ 3.0L diesel, and I love it. I get 23-24 MPG on the highway with a 6” lift and 37” tires.

If they offer Max Tow Package w/3.73 gears, I am going to trade mine in. I would love to have the AEV bison package and front lockers.

2024 ZR2 diesel announcement

SimplyAnAdventure

Best new truck for “overloading” would be a bigger truck so it’s not overloaded lol…

Now for Overlanding, that’s personal preference and so dependent on what you want to do and where you want to go.

For Offroad prowess a Jeep Gladiator or a Tacoma will be hard to beat.

For hauling a camper (if that’s how you want to go) probably a more stripped down F150, Ram or Chevy 1500, because honestly you’ll want payload not fancy stuff.

If you want payload and ready off the dealer lot pick whatever factory configuration you like best. I’ve had two Power Wagons and now have an F350 Tremor on order. Turns out payload is most important to me.

Truth be told we get hung up over thinking things on these forums. Most any truck with good tires is going to do what you need with out modifying it providing you buy the right truck for the payload you want to carry.

My personal preference on a 1/2 T would be whatever crew cab short box truck you like with a tonueu cover and low bars and a tent that stays BELOW roof height when closed up. Personally I think iKamper makes the best tent but lots of choices. This gives you good clearance Offroad and really helps with gas mileage and access to parking and drive through locations.

make a list in order of importance what you want from a vehicle and the vehicle will pick itself.

Also you didn’t mention cost? Do you want to spend 40k or 80k because that can make a huge difference. Loaded up ZR2 has to be close to 80k now.

-SAA

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Tremor will also be 75-80k. One of my good buddies just bought one and it is so awesome.

Buying a base model truck and building it to your needs, I feel, is the best way to go. And you'll usually save money compared to buying the fufu truck.

The new Tundras are pretty neat looking and the new generations have a long overdue update. I have high hopes for the ZR2 but Chevy has not been impressing me in the slightest for the last 10 years so we'll see.

When you say "95% commuting"...how much of a commute are you doing and how important is MPG? If MPG is important I'd stay away from a 3/4 ton unless you believe in Smiles Per Gallon like I do. Ecoboost is a great option for commuting. I was getting 18MPG with my 2.7L.

Like Todd said, There are many, many threads on this exact topic.

But if you want a biased answer, F150.

rruff

Explorer
I would rather keep suspension stock if possible.

If you are price sensitive, get the stripped down model and mod it to taste. You'll save tons of money compared to a ZR2 or Tremor. Upgraded shocks with a 2" front level, bigger AT tires, and airbags if your load varies a lot.

The F150 is available with 2.7L Eco if you want power and economy, or the 3.3L NA if you want economy and simplicity. The 2.7 can be ordered with an upgraded payload which adds ~500 lbs which is a nice option. The 5.0 and 3.5 Eco can be configured with the HDPP option which adds ~500 lb more than that... but the 2.7 is a better engine IMO. Make sure to get the lowest gearing and the locker.

The new Tundra has a little better MPG than the 3.5L Eco, but still well shy of the 2.7 (according to Fuelly). On its 2nd year they surely ironed out some of the bugs from last year. It's still heavy and max payload will be less though, and there are no gearing options.

jbaucom

If you plan to order, the F150 probably gives the best ability to pick and choose individual options of all the current half-ton trucks. You really need to decide if you're going rack/RTT or FWC (or similar) before you can pick a truck, because the FWC option typically should go on a 3/4-ton or larger due to inadequate payload on most half-tons. Of course, the 3/4-ton+ with a truck camper is unlikely to be a good choice for commuting.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Know why I got an F 150 XL extended cab? Because it had the 5.0, lockers, 6' bed, and pretty much a water proof interior. I did add the remote start, otherwise it had everything needed. $$,$$$ NOT $$$,$$$! 16/19 mpg, and it's a truck. Just a truck!

There are more F150's in Ar. than any other 1/2 ton, same in Mo. BUT, they are all capable in these parts.

dado5

My current truck is a 2016 F150 FX4 with rear e locker, 93k miles. Price doesn't really matter but the new ones are sooo expensive and they don't do a lot more than my current truck. I can put 10k into my truck and be good to go I think. I was a little wary about the mileage but there are plenty of F150's running around with >150k miles. It is a 5.0 as well. I don't necessarily need new, I just want reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan