Best overall tire suited for Overlanding/Expo?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Snip... I had initially looked at buying BFG All Terrains but they were only available in a load range E. Initial impressions of the Duratracs is that there is a little more noise, primarily at a lower pitch than what the worn Duelers emitted. I think that the good interior insulation of the 4Runner is cutting the "hum" level down a bit. If I have the windows open and drive by a wall or large flat reflective surface I can hear more noise from the tires than through the truck's body. Snip...

I've thought the same thing many times with my 4Runner, it's so quiet and well insulated that it masks some noises. Other times I've thought the quiet car actually helps me hear tire noise because other noise pollution is so well controlled.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
More Duratrac reports.....these were brand new 265/70/17C on a 2008 GC CRD.....I aired down to 20 psi, but I could have gone down to 18psi...super tacky NC red mud.....tires did great and cleaned nicely on the drier trails. Slight hum at 40-50 mph.....but no issues at 70mph. Slight increase in wind noise may take away some hum. I believe the side lugs are very beneficial. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334011004.662242.jpg

i-SNHdDg5-L.jpg

i-8vkT5cr-L.jpg

Happy with my purchase.....mud not so much...

targa88

Explorer
I have used (265/75/16)
1) BFG AT KO = great overall tyre. Not spectacular in the snow/ice. Good tread wear.
2) ******** Cepek FCII = good tread. Not spectacular in the hard packed snow/ice Good tread wear
3) Good Year Duratrac. Recent acquisition. 9,000kms across the US/Baja. Great performance in all conditions; snow, ice, sand, rocks...

FellowTraveler

Explorer
MTR & Silent Armor

I went through 2 sets of the old style MTR's in 285/75/16 perhaps a moot issue since newer MTR's are on the market. The old MTR's would dig into sand before any forward motion and great on all other off road surfaces, road wear was poor. On my third set of Silent Armor's in (2 sets) 285/75/16 and now 235/85/16 I consider them the best overall tire under all conditions on my K2500 Burb. I had found that the factory suspension bushings was the weak link that contributed to excessive tire wear on the IFS on my K2500 Burb.

I'll soon be changing out gear sets to run 35"+- tires.

Picture show the 285/75/16 MTR mounted to 16" ALCOA's then 235/85/16 Silent Armor mounted on factory steel.

004 Burb.jpg1999 k2500 Burb 009.jpg

Last edited:

Backcountryf150

Thought I woulld chime in now.I have a 2009 F150 s/c.I use it mostly for fishing and exploring around her in the Sequoia mountains here in CA.Most of the time i'm on dirt forest roads and a little snow in the winter.I have 255/70R17 on it now.I would like to go with a 265/70R17.I just can't make up my mind beteen Duratracs or BFG A/T.I spend most of the time on the pavment but would like a quiet and reliable tire offroad.Help me choose.Thanks.

fasteddy47

Adventurer
My 2 Cents
Cooper Discoverer STT MAXX
Quietest most versatile tire I have ever run..... This coming from a MT Terrain Guy!!!

Backcountryf150

Well just got back from goodyear.they said all duratrac 265/70r17 are on back order and have been for two weeks. don't know when they will be available.

Will Riggs

Observer
I'll second the Cooper vote although I'm running 33x12.50x15 Discoverer STT. I have previously run boggers on my jeep (and a samurai years ago), pitbull rockers and bfg first gen km mud tires on my old xj, and super swamper truxus radials on a k5 blazer. My favorite tires thus far are easily the Coopers. Never thought I'd say that, but you can't beat them for all around usage. I'm currently daily driving my jeep and the noise is very minimal and acceptable, they are wearing very well, do well in the clay mud here in kentucky (not as good as boggers of course) and seem to do well on rocks at mid-low pressures in my limited experience with them.

If you have time, compare the tread pattern of the coopers to the mickey thompson mtz, from what I've heard/read they are owned by the same company. Practically identical tires.

I was on the fence between duratrac or the cooper STT as they were similar in price and both had great reviews. I'm very happy with my decision! Hope this helps.

mgeiger

Observer
I've got 20k on a set of 285/75-16 Duratracs on my DD '00 Land Cruiser. Very happy with performance in all aspects. it's not wheeled hard, just forest svc roads, some fire roads and some sand. Road manners are good. Rain handling is great. Noise is fine- I like knowing I have some lugs under me. I've had BFG ATs, ATkos, MTkm2s. None of those compare.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well just got back from goodyear.they said all duratrac 265/70r17 are on back order and have been for two weeks. don't know when they will be available.

Unless you need higher than load-range C, might you consider the 255/75R17 MT/R? A bit aggressive for an 'all around' tire, and I've never owned them. However, after originally dismissing the size, I've grown to appreciate the specifications because they are a true 32" or slightly taller, while most 265s (both 16" & 17") are shorter than 32".

The MT/R 255/75R17 appear to be the tallest in this size, a very respectable 32.3”.

Check with places like TireRack.com (call distribution centers directly) and Discount Tire. You may be able to find them if you look hard enough.

stioc

Expedition Leader
My Ridgeline came with the Michilin LTX M+S tires which at first I scoffed at as a Honda Accord type of a tire but ended up really liking them. Super quiet and comfortable on the road (90% of my travel) and never had any issues off-roading on dirt roads, rocky roads or snow. But they're expensive last I checked.

The Pathfinder came with the Toyo Open Country ATs - they seem fine but haven't used them off-pavement much so far.

Based on the reviews here I'll have to look into the Duratecs when I wear out the Toyos.

Erik N

Adventurer
My Ridgeline came with the Michilin LTX M+S tires which at first I scoffed at as a Honda Accord type of a tire but ended up really liking them. Super quiet and comfortable on the road (90% of my travel) and never had any issues off-roading on dirt roads, rocky roads or snow. But they're expensive last I checked.

The Pathfinder came with the Toyo Open Country ATs - they seem fine but haven't used them off-pavement much so far.

Based on the reviews here I'll have to look into the Duratecs when I wear out the Toyos.

+1 on the Michelins. They came on my POS Exploder and I have put 600 miles of sand driving on them. They work, they don't dig holes, and the tread tracks well in the sand. And they are quiet on the pavement. They are "C" rated, 30/9.50/15.

I also have literally tens of thousands of miles on this tire, in an "E" rating, as it is what out fleet runs on (Ford ambulance diesels), they seem to hold up. There have been several sidewall bulge issues, but they were isolated incidents.

A good-looking tire. If they came in 255/85/16 I would prolly run them on my Suburban as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998