Best Pee Jars?

MiamiC70

In one recent thread here, the discussion of the initial target topic went off rails a bit as is frequently and humorously the case on expo.

Anyway, that side discussion turned into a debate about the best way to pee at night when you’re not wanting to climb down the ladder and go outside into the cold, dark, wet night.

One suggestion was using widemouth Nalgene bottles as Pee jars. For those of you who may not have tried this simple hack to RTT camping, I’ll share with you my unsuccessful experience with that technique.

Having rather small hands and short fingers (no, please don’t go there!) I found that it was often too difficult for me to get a good grip on that slippery large diameter bottle, meaning simply that it was too easy for me to fumble it and drop the damn thing and spill pee all over the bed.

So here’s my recommendation on improving the functionality of a nighttime pee jar for you campers.

Next time you’re done using one of these laundry detergent bottles, see below, make some improvements in the pour spout to enlarge the opening of the neck of the bottle a bit, and use that detergent bottle with it’s convenient, no slip handle, as your source for nighttime comfort and relief.

View attachment 709456
(A spritz of Lysol into the bottle after emptying it can keep it sanitary and odorless)
Best pee jar is a tree or a bush ?

Mike W.

Apple juice jug's..Great camouflage..Just don't put them in either the fridge or ice chest..

Kevin108

Explorer
The complications that would arise from any usage that is less than 100% perfect carry too much risk. I'm climbing my ass down. I keep a flashlight at my side and a pair of sandals at the door.

Reactions: WVI

dbhost

I don't do an RTT, so not a problem per se, but I do a truck bed camper, and it is just not that hard, even for my fat behind to get up out of bed, and stumble over to the closest tree and water it down...

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
The complications that would arise from any usage that is less than 100% perfect carry too much risk. I'm climbing my ass down . . .
For me the greater risk would be climbing down half awake. At 73 a fall would be life changing.

. . . to get up out of bed, and stumble over to the closest tree and water it down...
Unless it is raining or freezing out.

Me: I can get up, get the hose into the bottle, empty, climb back into bed without either fully waking up or loosing much warmth in the bed. 8 years no accidents.

Reactions: WVI

dbhost

For me the greater risk would be climbing down half awake. At 73 a fall would be life changing.

Unless it is raining or freezing out.

Me: I can get up, get the hose into the bottle, empty, climb back into bed without either fully waking up or loosing much warmth in the bed. 8 years no accidents.

Hmmm. I have been known to pee out of the door of my tent but that usually involves a LOT of rum... Come to think of it, I peed out of an open side door of a VW bus going down the highway once... Again, young and very drunk... DO NOT DO THAT.

FWIW, I am just now going to be starting solo camping, always, at least since I have been an adult, had a female tent / camper companion, and me peeing in a jar next to my wife would NOT have gone over well... So never thought of it being much of an option...

FWIW, Bladder wakes me enough to have to relieve myself, I am fully awake. No sense worrying about that.

My camp setup usually has been tent, EZUp, Ensuite, with tarp bridges between the items, so rain water gets diverted away from the entrances. WIth the truck camper it will be camper shell, tarp covered space, ensuite.

Well, to each their own method I guess.

Willsfree

Hmmm. I have been known to pee out of the door of my tent but that usually involves a LOT of rum... Come to think of it, I peed out of an open side door of a VW bus going down the highway once... Again, young and very drunk... DO NOT DO THAT.

FWIW, I am just now going to be starting solo camping, always, at least since I have been an adult, had a female tent / camper companion, and me peeing in a jar next to my wife would NOT have gone over well... So never thought of it being much of an option...

FWIW, Bladder wakes me enough to have to relieve myself, I am fully awake. No sense worrying about that.

My camp setup usually has been tent, EZUp, Ensuite, with tarp bridges between the items, so rain water gets diverted away from the entrances. WIth the truck camper it will be camper shell, tarp covered space, ensuite.

Well, to each their own method I guess.
Option for the female travel companions for pee bottle use...
My gal takes it on trail or in the van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179