Best Style Battery Inside the Cabin?

CampStewart

Observer
Looking for a replacement battery for an Ark Pak which can handle up to a group 31. Ark Pak would live inside a daily driver 24/7 365. Not tilting on extreme angles, no appreciable shaking around, 100 degrees in the summer and below zero in the winter. My life will not depend on it. Not looking to show off a fancy name brand. Something common and can be found at auto parts store or Home Depot. Will only power a small fridge. Hopefully never used for jump start. Not lithium. What type of battery, sealed lead, Gel, AGM, or? I am sure this has been discussed but I went 20 pages back and couldn't find it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Gel and AGM are both considered non-spillable so safe in aircraft cabins, so either should be fine in a vehicle cabin.

The thing to watch charging lead acid is the chance of outgassing hydrogen if you push one too hard. In a well sealed cabin there’s is a very small explosion risk that’s minimized by careful charging and venting. It’s an important issue in large banks in buildings with UPSes and solar so you could research it from that aspect.

I’d say the risk is similar to lithium thermal run away. Keep it mind but don’t get obsessive.

fratermus

FT boondocker
Looking for a replacement battery for an Ark Pak which can handle up to a group 31.

How will it be charged? If by alternator I'd probably go AGM and if solar maybe gel, due to their current/voltage requirements.

I don't know of any sealed (maintenance-free) flooded that are actually deep cycle.
Not lithium

A self-heated 50Ah lithium might be cheaper Wh/$ in the long run under those conditions, but I respect your preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears