Best sub $100 air compressor?

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Just a heads up Australian 4WD Action Magazine did an article thoroughly reviewing over 50 different portable air compressors in the issue number 169 on news stands today. Just grabbed it from B&N now.

Phreak480

Army Guy
I've got my mv-50 hooked up on a 2.5 gal tank with a pressure switch, it works great, but had to get some serious high temp hose to go from the compressor to the tank as cheap stuff failed under the heat. I really should rebuild it with some metal tubing to dissipate heat.

Vermonster

Observer

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I've got my mv-50 hooked up on a 2.5 gal tank with a pressure switch, it works great, but had to get some serious high temp hose to go from the compressor to the tank as cheap stuff failed under the heat. I really should rebuild it with some metal tubing to dissipate heat.

Good call! Do you have any pics of your setup?

lam396

Adventurer

It does look like a good review but it doesn't look like the mv-50 was in the line-up or any other brand available in the US. Are they just relabeled or something? A couple of them look very similar but it's hard to tell. Any ideas?

dmxsoulja3

You guys praise the MV-50 and I have been researching them and it appears that others are not satisfied with the unit and the common theme seems to be the fuse housing melting. What is weird is the older reviews are good, but the newer dated ones show problems, did they change the compressor or manf. perhaps? Amazon reviews didn't seem very positive. I'm in the market for an air compressor and was excited after reading this thread but now have a nervous trigger finger on buying one. Any info?

Thanks, J

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
I read nothing but good things about the TJM compressor so I'm picking one up tomorrow. I'll put it through its paces and post some thoughts.

REasley

Adventurer
The issue with the blown fuses on the mv50 is usually caused by stopping and starting the compressor while the hose is still attached to the tire. Compressors don't like to start from 0 rpm to full speed against a load. The current draw to do it is tremendous. If you disconnect the hose and let the compressor come up to speed before you reattach it, you will likely eliminate this problem. This is the reason you can't use this compressor as an on board air compressor without adding an unloader valve and a pressure switch. We sell a bunch to kids for train horns on their diesel pickups who think they can simply hook them to a 5 gallon air carry tank and have quickie obr. We try to warn them, but every once in a while one will get thru.

theksmith

Explorer
You guys praise the MV-50 and I have been researching them and it appears that others are not satisfied with the unit and the common theme seems to be the fuse housing melting. What is weird is the older reviews are good, but the newer dated ones show problems, did they change the compressor or manf. perhaps? Amazon reviews didn't seem very positive. I'm in the market for an air compressor and was excited after reading this thread but now have a nervous trigger finger on buying one. Any info?

Thanks, J

i praise it for what it is... i think the best known-to-work-decently compressor for $60. one you are ready to commit to the off-road hobby and want something nice, then i think you have to be prepared to spend quite a bit more to be worth it (i feel the range between $70 and $200 is just still not really worth it compared to the vale of the mv-50). once you can afford over $200, then i think the best value for a "serious" compressor is the Puma 12v line. and of course, if money is not an object, go Extreme Outback or Oasis (or engine powered for that matter if you can fit it).

as far as the fuse holder melting, if a $3.49 part from autozone and 5 minutes of time keep the thing alive for a couple years, then it's still a value.

Glenn-BJ74

Compressor Progression

I first started using my ARB locker compressor to fill my 12.5 by 15 tires which worked, but I was exceeding the compressors' duty cycle and it was extremely hot when finished, from 18 psi to 30 psi. When I got my Goodyear MTR/Kevlar 315/R16 that was whole different ball game - going from 18 psi to 44 psi took forever and a day. I had to wait to cool down the little compressor and I was worried I was burning out the ARB compressor, which is expensive and needed to run my lockers.

I bought the MV50 and it worked better and I used it for about a year, but eventually the big 315 tires burned that little unit out. I think its 1/3 hp or about 250 watts. I wheel a lot, so I am airing up maybe 30 - 40 times a year.

Last year I moved up to the Puma. The puma has a 3/4 hp 12vdc motor, which draws 560 watts at 14.2 volts (alternator output) about 38 amps. Its a real workhorse and many times better than the MV50, plus it drives a 3/8 impact gun. It has comes with1.5 gallon tank, tank gauge, pressure reducer with gauge, over pressure valve, tank drain, 10 gauge wiring and clips. Its industrial quality and will retain its resale value. I give it two thumbs up:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger