best trailer to start a build with?

computeruser

Explorer
Being in the middle of a trailer fabrication enterprise that started 100% from scratch, I've got to admit that the prospect of starting with a 1/4 ton military trailer seems more appealing every day! You will promptly nickel and dime yourself WAY past the cost of a decent surplus trailer, even when your friends have a nice stash of free 2x2x.25 square tube and angle!

Now it is nice to be able to build your own design from scratch, but unless you've got an unlimited budget you will see yourself making compromises that deviate from your vision. Soon, a prebuilt body and frame will look more and more tempting! I've already designed and re-designed the trailer a dozen times, and have finally resolved that I cannot justify the cost of doing exactly what I want at this point; at least I have a chassis that will be able to be modified fairly easily if and when I want to have it do more than it will be asked to do in its first incarnation.

Chassis minus tongue is pictured below. 56"x72" for the body, plus 18" for the triangulated tongue, with an adjustable length tongue (not pictured) that slides into the 3" square tube portion of the trailer. It is a lot sturdier than a modified boat trailer or a HarborFreight/NorthernTool/TSC trailer and I would feel comfortable using the rear 2" receiver to recover the trailer AND the Jeep, should the need arise.

DSCF1442Medium.jpg

gabe

Observer
computeruser said:
Being in the middle of a trailer fabrication enterprise that started 100% from scratch, I've got to admit that the prospect of starting with a 1/4 ton military trailer seems more appealing every day! You will promptly nickel and dime yourself WAY past the cost of a decent surplus trailer, even when your friends have a nice stash of free 2x2x.25 square tube and angle!

Now it is nice to be able to build your own design from scratch, but unless you've got an unlimited budget you will see yourself making compromises that deviate from your vision. Soon, a prebuilt body and frame will look more and more tempting! I've already designed and re-designed the trailer a dozen times, and have finally resolved that I cannot justify the cost of doing exactly what I want at this point; at least I have a chassis that will be able to be modified fairly easily if and when I want to have it do more than it will be asked to do in its first incarnation.

Chassis minus tongue is pictured below. 56"x72" for the body, plus 18" for the triangulated tongue, with an adjustable length tongue (not pictured) that slides into the 3" square tube portion of the trailer. It is a lot sturdier than a modified boat trailer or a HarborFreight/NorthernTool/TSC trailer and I would feel comfortable using the rear 2" receiver to recover the trailer AND the Jeep, should the need arise.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, I know that if I try to build something from scratch I'll spend to much and still not get what I want. So I'm trying to find something that I can just modify.

gabe

Observer
ntsqd said:
Trailers built from structural shapes (Angle, Channel, etc.) tend to be heavy for their weight capacity and not terribly strong - particularly in torsion. The military trailers go around this by using the tub for a significant part of the total strength of the trailer.

I would confine my search to something with a tube frame unless building a tub that will be permanently attached to the frame is part of the plan. If such a tub is within your abilities, then I suggest that a tube frame is as well.
Would welding a tub to the frame make this style of trailer strong enough to take some off road use?

TheGillz

Explorer
I think resigning yourself to spending at least $3k,or you will be searching in vain.

I was in your exact position several months ago when I happened apon expo and was asking about utility trailers, military trailers, Tentrax, Outlander, AT's and custom builds.

I finally realized that to get what I wanted it was going to take some money to do it right.

Look at my profile and search all my previous threads created and you may save yourself some heartache, really I am having dejavu.

What I found was that the only way to get the features I needed at the best price was to build up a military trailer or go full custom, I found a way to do custom before I found a military trailer in the area to buy.

gabe

Observer
TheGillz said:
I think resigning yourself to spending at least $3k,or you will be searching in vain.

I was in your exact position several months ago when I happened apon expo and was asking about utility trailers, military trailers, Tentrax, Outlander, AT's and custom builds.

I finally realized that to get what I wanted it was going to take some money to do it right.

Look at my profile and search all my previous threads created and you may save yourself some heartache, really I am having dejavu.

What I found was that the only way to get the features I needed at the best price was to build up a military trailer or go full custom, I found a way to do custom before I found a military trailer in the area to buy.

I've followed your build and have read over and over most of the builds in here, and the skill shown by everyone is nothing more then amazing and at the same time frustrating. The plan was to sell the pop-up and take that money to invest in this style of camping it's looking as though I was dreaming. I guess it's time to start saving up and keeping an eye out for a good deal.

TheGillz

Explorer
Well I definatly didn't want to be a downer. I just wanted to encourage you to make it one of those investments that doesn't bite you in the future.

Selling a camper to invest in a cheaper utility trailer that gives you problems wouldn't be very fun. I don't know where you are at, but there is a place near the idaho/oregon border called idahomotorpool.com, its not on the website right now, but I drove past there last weekend, and they had a 1/4 ton trailer out in the lot. It looked to be in pretty good condition.

I am a very strong proponent of doing things right the first time and getting quality stuff that won't have to be easily replaced.

I'm sure with some patience and saving, you will get a set up that you and yours will enjoy for a long time.

gabe

Observer
TheGillz said:
Well I definatly didn't want to be a downer. I just wanted to encourage you to make it one of those investments that doesn't bite you in the future.
You aren't in any way a downer, nothing wrong with a reality check. That's why I'm on this forum, to make sure I can learn from other's who have gone before me. Heck I'm not sure I'm able to detirmine what I need vs. what I want or think I need. All I know is the Pop-up is to big and heavy.

BTW I'm in upstate NY

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
gabe said:
Would welding a tub to the frame make this style of trailer strong enough to take some off road use?
I wouldn't use one of those trailers, but to answer your question I would bolt it on, not weld it. Lots of bolts, don't have to be large and they spread the loads out better.

Godlykepower

Dont know how relevant this will be to you if you are in the States.

I am currently designing a trailer based on a British military trailer chassis, the Sankey trailer.

The MOD have recently upgraded their entire fleet of trailers (which are not as good as the old ones apparently) and the market is starting to get flooded over here with disposals of the old trailer.

Maybe Sankey's manage to find their way over there for you?

They are designed to be used with Wolf Defenders (military spec), and have the same track, and are ultra-hardcore. Very, very popular in the UK & Europe.

Godlykepower said:
Dont know how relevant this will be to you if you are in the States.

I am currently designing a trailer based on a British military trailer chassis, the Sankey trailer.

The MOD have recently upgraded their entire fleet of trailers (which are not as good as the old ones apparently) and the market is starting to get flooded over here with disposals of the old trailer.

Maybe Sankey's manage to find their way over there for you?

They are designed to be used with Wolf Defenders (military spec), and have the same track, and are ultra-hardcore. Very, very popular in the UK & Europe.
Pics and links would be helpful. Having done ZERO googling about what you're talking about, I have no idea what a "Sankey" is.

However, if the market is getting flooded over there w/ surplus stuff, I'd be interested to know what they happen to be selling for, and if there's someone who has aquired a large quantity of them, and willing to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179