BEST Unimog for under 40K?

Carl

Observer
the search continues

I like the size of 416 doka pictured in prior message. (green color)

How can I find a clean 416? any tips?

thanks,

carl

dzzz

I think its worth posting a "wanted" ad on the unimog exchange when getting serious about looking for a mog. I did that and got some leads I would not have found otherwise. It's a small market and it's difficult to find all that's available.
It's also difficult to know who actively restoring mogs. Many websites show all mogs as sold. Does that mean they're busy or no longer active? Hard to tell.
There's a lot of "tire kickers" in the mog market. Consider that when contacting sellers and restorers.

Carl

Observer
clean 1300

Any recommendations on a clean 1300?

Seems that some sites post having some, but when you explore they are sold out.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
By the way, the 416 403 and 406 have a near identical look, but the 403/406 has a wheel base that is actually shorter than a CJ-7, which means you can tip that sucker over in any dirrection really easily.

If you are going off road, I agree, go for a longer wheel base.

I am 6'5 and I fit, only just, into a 416 DOKA, but I did fit really nicely into a U1300L. You might keep your mind in the SBU trucks if you are as tall as I am. If you see a 404 just run away, there is just no room in them for a taller person, you will hate life driving that thing. (I have, and I enjoyed it, but no way I could drive one for more than ten or fifteen minutes, too tight.)

You have a lot of great advice on here. Keep reading, you can find lots of stuff out there. Also find some local moggers and see if they will take you for a ride in theirs. SPEND The TIME before you spend the cash! I have always wanted a mog, and I liked the 404 a lot, until I drove one. Now I know that if I get a mog I need to be in the 50K range for what I am looking for, which means I can stop looking until I can afford that kind of truck.

Best of Luck!

762X39

Explorer
If you see a 404 just run away, there is just no room in them for a taller person, you will hate life driving that thing. (I have, and I enjoyed it, but no way I could drive one for more than ten or fifteen minutes, too tight.)

SPEND The TIME before you spend the cash! I have always wanted a mog, and I liked the 404 a lot, until I drove one.
Best of Luck!
There is no doubt that driving a Unimog (404's and 416's in particular) are an aquired taste but I have put 10's of thousands of kilometres on my 404 and other than hearing protection, I don't have a problem (and more importantly, Katherine doesn't have a problem) taking extended trips in "big, green and ugly":ylsmoke:
Only you can decide if one is for you so by all means, hang out with some owners and get some seat time in them.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
By the way, the 416 403 and 406 have a near identical look, but the 403/406 has a wheel base that is actually shorter than a CJ-7, which means you can tip that sucker over in any dirrection really easily.

If you are going off road, I agree, go for a longer wheel base.

I am 6'5 and I fit, only just, into a 416 DOKA, but I did fit really nicely into a U1300L. You might keep your mind in the SBU trucks if you are as tall as I am. If you see a 404 just run away, there is just no room in them for a taller person, you will hate life driving that thing. (I have, and I enjoyed it, but no way I could drive one for more than ten or fifteen minutes, too tight.)

You have a lot of great advice on here. Keep reading, you can find lots of stuff out there. Also find some local moggers and see if they will take you for a ride in theirs. SPEND The TIME before you spend the cash! I have always wanted a mog, and I liked the 404 a lot, until I drove one. Now I know that if I get a mog I need to be in the 50K range for what I am looking for, which means I can stop looking until I can afford that kind of truck.

Best of Luck!

I'm 6'4 and I fit in my 404 fine. I've driven 3 hours straight in it going to get a Christmas tree and I was perfectly fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toby2

Observer
Same, I'm 6ft 5 and I have no problems spending a few hours in my 404. Not a relaxing ride but can fit okay. Being a passenger is harder as mine has no footwell so passengers have to sit with their feet level with the seat which isn't the most comfortable for logner periods of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears