Best value Suburban as an all arounder

Kaisen

Explorer
Last year of the tailgate was the last year of the old square solid-axle.... 1991

The tailgates were overrated. So were barn doors. YMMV

Rockhounder

Explorer
Last year of the tailgate was the last year of the old square solid-axle.... 1991

I'm confused..... if tailgates were overrated, and barn doors are overrated, just what the heck other type of opening is there?? a roll up door?, or drawbridge? just funning with you, but seriously, what are you meaning?

Erik N

Adventurer
What are the major drawback to those old box bodies? Obviously age. Any major deficiencies if it's been maintained/rebuilt? What should one look out for?

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381

92 on uses more of a mix of standard and metric fittings. Probable not a big deal.

I wouldn't mind the 7.4 engine/tranny from my '96 swapped in my '88. That would be a hell of a truck. Don't think the square ones came w/ both a 454 and 4WD.

DaveNay

Adventurer
I'm confused..... if tailgates were overrated, and barn doors are overrated, just what the heck other type of opening is there?? a roll up door?, or drawbridge? just funning with you, but seriously, what are you meaning?

Barn doors. Tailgate (metal part goes down, glass goes up). Hatchback (minivan style...all one piece hinged upward).

DaveNay

Adventurer
There was also the version where the glass retracted into the tailgate instead of hinged upward.

I think there were only the four different styles....

Kaisen

Explorer
Tailgate flops down, like a pickup, and the glass retracts into the gate before opening. No rear wiper.

Barn doors swing open to each side, and the glass is fixed. No rear wiper.

Liftgate lifts up, like a hatchback or station wagon, and the glass also opens up. Has a rear wiper.

In my opinion, the liftgate is best. I've owned multiple examples of all three.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal

Bah! Blasphemer! :D

I love my ambo-doors!

But I'll admit it's more a "style" thing, they just seem "right" on a Suburban. Functionally, I can see when a liftgate might make good shelter from the rain.

That said, I can close my ambo-door with my butt when my hands are full. Try that with the gate...

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I sure to love the utility of my '89. Wish I had bought one of these things years ago. I don't drive it everyday, but when it's needed it always does the job. I like the 73-91 body style myself with the solid front axle for the stone-axe simplicity and ease of finding parts. I'm a barn door type of guy, never liked the dread of the window glass not going up or down. My "Suburbillac" (soon to have a 500 inch Cadillac mill installed) is very bare-bones US government issue and should give years of faithful service on the expedition trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman