Best way to carry dog food?

College Kid

Adventurer
I have had great success with Dry Bags. I actually store my Siberians food in the house in a 50L dry bag. I use a smaller 20L for the truck, It lives in a smaller Action Packer along with his treats, truck leashes, 30 feet of rope to tie him off at camp sites, extra collar, "doggie bags" etc. Works well.

Frosty_1

Adventurer
I second the Vittle Vault recommendation. I have two of them, a large one that will hold a 40lb bag of food and a smaller "bucket" one that is for traveling/camping. Try US plastics or amazon for good pricing...

aws140

Observer
For my coming trip from GA to AK I will be bringing my two dogs. Since I am going to be utilizing a, soon to be built, camper setup in my Rav4 I want to minimize space and weight. To do this I am trying to eliminate any solid storage units. After coming across this thread I became very interested in the Gamma Softstore units, available in 30 and 50 pound options.

104514377-260x260-0-0_Gamma+Soft+Store+50+pound+Dry+Food+Storage+Gamma.jpg

This weekend I emailed them about using it for the trip, and it eliminating smells that would attract bears. This was the response I just received:

Donald,

Even if bag or container is airtight and desented animals are still able to smell inside. Wild animals have a very keen sense of smell, think about the search dogs that smell drugs sealed in airtight wrapping then hidden inside a full gas tank or buried inside a shipment of coffee beans, etc.
These SoftStore containers are made with two different type of bags. One is a 4 mil thick waterproof inner plastic bag and the outer bag is a water
repellent 400 denier nylon.

they will hold a variety of items but we do not test the strength for anything but pet food. We leave it up to the consumer to test for themselves.

Sincerely,

Jim Harrigan
Gamma2, Inc
3186 Lionshead Ave. Ste 150
Carlsbad, CA 92010
760-734-4003 Ext 107
760-734-4008 Fax
jharrigan@gamma2.net

I debated sending a return email asking about the possibility with a hard unit, but based on the previous response I am certain I know the answer.

Last edited:

fiddypal

Adventurer
For my coming trip from GA to AK I will be bringing my two dogs. Since I am going to be utilizing a, soon to be built, camper setup in my Rav4 I want to minimize space and weight. To do this I am trying to eliminate any solid storage units. After coming across this thread I became very interested in the Gamma Softstore units, available in 30 and 50 pound options.

View attachment 154342

This weekend I emailed them about using it for the trip, and it eliminating smells that would attract bears. This was the response I just received:

I debated sending a return email asking about the possibility with a hard unit, but based on the previous response I am certain I know the answer.

I do scent work with my german shepherd and they are correct, just you handling the food and opening it up every day will be enough to "contaminate" the outside with scent.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe the selling point to those bear canisters is that the bear cannot open them, not that they are scent proof. It's honestly next to impossible to keep something scent proof.

I can pick up a small stick and toss it into a pile of branches and my dog will come back with the right one every time, just from the scent i left on it by picking it up and throwing it quickly (i dont sit there and rub my hands all over the stick before i throw it). Imagine how good the nose on a bear is.....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I use old Mayo jars. In fact I keep a full one in the truck all the time in case we stay out past feeding time on a day trip. On a trip if I am not refilling, I can recycle as I go.

GregSplett

Adventurer
I roll with three small and one large.We also vacuum pack and toss in with our own food.Works great.Ours eat a mixture of hard and soft.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Army waterproof bags hold about 40-45 lbs and tie the top off as customary, done properly they are cheap dry bags.

Bear proof containers are tested with bears, the put food inside and smear honey all over the container, that gets them interested, an hour later if the bear has success, the product fails the test. They won't test containers with sharp edges or locking devices as the bear may be injured. A bear cab rip off a car door or open a sealed can, so I doubt any bag is bear proof.

They can smell the food, best is to hang it in a tree as shown on bear safety sites. Unattended vehicles better be clean inside, like those two french fries you dropped between the seats last week.

I'm still training my Boxer, she better obey in bear country, I don't want her trying to take any wild animal on, much less a bear. A Boxer isn't a great scent dog but she can find her toys regardless of where I hide them.

Can't hide the scent, just make it hard to get to it, bears don't carry ladders.

I have inquired about spraying the outside of things with bear spray, those who know that smell may stay away, don't know.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Zip locks and mayo jars?

You guys must have some small dogs :sombrero:

On the road we generally carry 100lbs or so of food for the pups, we have two.
Luckily they are both fine on the same diet.

We've tried buckets and containers over the years to find an easy solution.

We've settled on simply carrying full bags, and open bags are dumped into a pair of these.

Ive been a long time fan of Mountainsmith.

These bags are pretty nice.

RD.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/product/8679915/color/76207?ef_id=Vo4GdAAABU0Pan3Y:20160325141028:s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger