Best way to carry more fuel???

Sloan

Explorer
I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating that these tanks are not to be used on pollution controlled vehicles in CA.

Sloan

Explorer
Doh, went to order my tank for my 60 and the one they had before Xmas is gone. Looks like this just got put on the back burner til more come up from down under.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sloan said:
I like the disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating that these tanks are not to be used on pollution controlled vehicles in CA.

....oops! Sorry.........! I missed that.

Sloan

Explorer
The 38 gal. from MAF, they say they'll have them again in 3 months. I was going to drive over the hill and pick it up tomorrow. :( They had one when I started this thread, I just wasn't sure if that was the best way to go.

Last edited:

madizell

Explorer
Sloan said:
Makes me wonder how the enviro-nazis would even know if your tank was original or aftermarket, as long as the filler and cap are stock. They do check for the correct type filler, but I have never seen anyone look beyond that.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I would be interested in hearing if anyone has the MAF tank and a long term report on it.

.mg

Sloan

Explorer
Pismojim over on mud has had the MAF tank for a long time and loves it. On the subject of the tank I honestly don't think anyone would ever know if it is under the truck.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Sloan said:
Pismojim over on mud has had the MAF tank for a long time and loves it. On the subject of the tank I honestly don't think anyone would ever know if it is under the truck.

Cool thanks for the heads up on Pismojim! - I will check MUD and do a search there when I get home. It's blocked at my work place. :mad:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Terracoma said:
If there wasn't a legality/safety issue, I would definitely consider an in-bed auxiliary tank if it were able to fit bolted to the bed floor below a saddle-style toolbox.
Personally I think a better solution is a regular racing fuel cell rather than those diesel utility tanks. I'd like to someday do the Downey spare tire tank, tried and true for the '79-'95 Toyota pickups. But as far as general purpose solution, a generic fuel cell is safe, baffled and a known quantity.

rci-2200as-grp.jpg

madizell

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
Personally I think a better solution is a regular racing fuel cell rather than those diesel utility tanks. I'd like to someday do the Downey spare tire tank, tried and true for the '79-'95 Toyota pickups. But as far as general purpose solution, a generic fuel cell is safe, baffled and a known quantity.

rci-2200as-grp.jpg

I have been using a 15 gallon Summit cell for several years and I find they work perfectly. Even in a tip over, I lost no fuel because of the tip over valve on the vent. However, they are not emission legal so these belong strictly on non-controlled vehicles. There is no evaporative return or any of the bells and whistles todays emission compliant tanks have. There is also an issue of joining such a cell to a main tank if one is substantially above the other. You either need a remotely operated positive valve to eliminate gravity feed to the lower tank, or a manually operated switching system, some part of which will end up inside the cabin with you. Some states don't allow routing fuel in and out of the cabin in a highway vehicle.

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
I have come up with an idea for auxillary fuel that I would like your opinion on. I have been looking around west marines site and have found various fuel tanks like this one
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...URL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=78&classNum=79
I was thinking I could take a tank similar to this and make a temporary mount on my roof rack with a hose running down to my factory tank with a fitting like this to make it completely detachable.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...URL=true&storeNum=6&subdeptNum=78&classNum=90
The best part about it would be the lack of electronics or pumps needed for it to work it would be all gravity fed. I came up with some quick pros and cons to it, let me know what you think.

Pros:
Easy mounting
Cheap
No electronics or pumps
Easy filling
Detachable when not needed

Cons:
Truck more top heavy likely to tip easier
Open to sun and elements
Takes up roof rack space
Visual appearance on roof rack would not look great

atestofmettle

anyone know where to...

get a aux fuel tank for a 94 4runner
i have been looking for weeks but i fear i am looking in the wrong places.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I have been thinking about installing a fuel tank on my M416 trailer. I use a Jeep Cherokee so the under vehicle space is limited. The idea I have is pretty simple. I want to install a tank in between the frame rails above the axle of the trailer. This would help with the trailer COG. Then install bumpstops to keep the axle at bay. I might be able to find a summit tank that will work if it is flat enough. I also want some sort of RV water tank setup as well but that is another idea for another time.

HPIM0471.jpg

This will allow me to park the trailer and not drag the fuel around while exploring. I am figuring about 20 gallons. At between 6.0 and 6.3 lb/ US gallon it should be about 126 Lbs. Well within the capacity of the trailer + modifications. I would only have to work out transfer issues.

madizell

Explorer
If your need for extra fuel coincides with the use of the trailer, it sounds like a good idea to me. Simple 12V boost pump, a fuel connection or filler tube to reach your tank inlet, and you would have a mobile refueling station. If you used a vent line or return line as an inlet to your main tank, and plumbed in a disconnect like the Yamaha unit shown earlier (looks like a marine unit), you could connect and disconnect easily, and refuel while driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78