Best Wife in the World!!!

Howard70

Adventurer
Neon - Access to Space Behind Side Panels & What Supports Fenders?

Hello TexGX:

I've sorted out the switch at the end of the bed, the black metal flange was bent so contact with the switch wasn't happening. I'm trying to trace the wiring installed by the previous owner to remove the bypass they installed. It would be helpful for that (and other projects - see below) to remove the interior black panels that form the sides of the trailer. At first glance that looks like it requires removing much of the interior "furniture" - most of which appears installed with sheet metal or wood screws or pop rivets. I'm reluctant to start tearing into all that if there is any chance of a simplier means of accessing the space where the wiring seems to run. Any suggestions?

I also envision installing larger fenders at a point in the future when I've finished some work on the axle and hubs (I'd like be able to run toyota 6 lug wheels so that I have the same wheels on truck and trailer). Mounting those fenders looks like it would require getting behind the panels mentioned above as well. I'm ready for all the associated issues - longer tongue jack, longer stabilizers, and additional step! From the outside I can't tell what the stock fenders are mounted to? They move easily enough to make me wonder if they are mounted just to the sliver skin material - or is there some structure back there?

Thanks!

Howard Snell

TexGX

Explorer
There is a space between the exterior and interior walls. I found it very difficult to open the front left sheet metal to rewire some stuff. I would suggest you look and see if it looks like someone has peeled back that panel. I would not remove the interior panels as they are the main pieces holding it together. The space between walls will make installing fenders harder. You may have to make a spacer. Check my early post to see how I whiched out to a max coupler. I really like it so far. I am still running the original fenders, but my tires are not super big. I have hit the fenders with my tire. Shock will be my next mode.

TexGX

Cruiser

Adventurer
Nice to see more people into these great little trailers. I'm planning out some mods for mine to extend the tongue for a small platform and full sized wheels this winter sometime.

Vantage

Adventurer
Great thread on the Neon.

I recently joined Expedition Portal to find out more info on trailers like the Neon and its larger twin the Cobalt.

I don't do hardcore enough exploring to warrant a full off road trailer with a RTT so the Neon seems perfect.

I love the wheels being on the outside, very easy to remove/reinstall the fenders after adding a set of 30-31" tires.

Sadly, these trailers aer VERY rare especially up here in Western Canada. I haven't been able to locate anything (Neon or Cobalt) within 2000 miles.

Keeping my eye's peeled, and watching this thread for more info.

loren85022

Explorer
I see a happy camp boss there with your daughter. That tells me the trailer was a good addition. More trips on the horizon. Well played!

Frankspinz

Adventurer
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm looking forward to taking my recent purchase camping in two weeks. It pulls great behind the Subaru but it's way too low beind the Xterra. I'll do the axel over ASAP and should be able to pull it level with both vehicles using my ajustable ball hitch... Eventually I might change the wheels, I have so many Xterra rims, I'll put them to good use !

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger