Best years

jimed43

Adventurer
I would like to pick up a used jeep, under 10k closer to 8k. Here in the metroplex, that looks like something 8+ years old.

Are there any special or better years to buy? and on the same topic any years to avoid?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
1999 Cherokee is said to be the best year of cherokee for several reasons.

-No warping head issue as with the 2000-2001
-Most have the 29 spline 8.25 chrysler rear axle (very strong, good up to 35's-37's with care)
-updated safety/airbag stuff
-updated interior
-updated styling outside

I personally run a 1992 because it's what I could afford, and after 2 years it's been 100% reliable, with only 19 year
old parts having issues (radiator, alternator, o2 sensor, brakes, etc.)

In any year cherokee, both the AX15 (manual) and AW4 (auto) transmissions are for the most part, truly bulletproof.

Same goes for the 4.0L, though pre-1991 rigs have some differences that some like, and some dislike.

1997-2006 (TJ) wranglers are good too. I had a 2004 2door unlimited (LJ) (they were all 2door, btw) that was a VERY nice rig and a marked improvement, ride-quality and storage space wise over the regular TJ. Not sure what those go for now-a-days.

I don't know much about Grand cherokee's, but a few blokes I know have 1993-1995 rigs (ZJ) with the 4.0L motor and seem to have very few issues.

WJ's are nice (1997ish to 200-something) but you get a bit more complicated as you get newer since it's the "luxury" model.

Happy hunting! The best bet is to figure out your needs beforehand. For example, if you need to haul 3 or more people AND gear, you can run a wrangler, but you will definitely being pulling a cargo trailer, or putting roof/rear racks on.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
You might be able to pick up a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon for that type of money. I don't think you will be able to find a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon for that, but you might find a high mileage one out that someone needs to move.

jimed43

Adventurer
Let me clarify a little:

I will be looking for a 2 Door Wrangler / CJ Style Jeep.

Browsing CL for the last couple of days, I have not seen a Rubi that low on the price.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Let me clarify a little:

I will be looking for a 2 Door Wrangler / CJ Style Jeep.

Browsing CL for the last couple of days, I have not seen a Rubi that low on the price.

10-4

In that case, here's my recommendation in this order

1. Restored willy's CJ-2a with rear pto drive and atachments. :)
2. 4.0L TJ with as few miles as possible.
3. 4.0L YJ wrangler with as many upgrades possible
4. CJ7. CJ7s are ok, but TJ's are really the epitome of the 2door jeep, IMO (yes even compared to the new JK)

jimed43

Adventurer
My plans are to keep my 2k5 Mazda 6 as my daily driver, and drive the Jeep on the weekend, and maybe to the office on Fridays.

nkorep2

As far as Wranglers you're looking at TJs. You will be darn lucky to find a rubi in that price range. You'd be lucky to find a 4.0L that is younger than 2003 in that price. Look for a low mileage 01-03 4.0L, You can find em built up as well which could save you money if you're wanting to build it anyway. I just got a 01 with 84K miles in great shape for 8.5K. That seemed to be about average price for that year and condition. I was hoping for less than 8. Im happy with it none the less.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I think I'd try to find a CJ7. TJs are great vehicles but they've got quite a few electrical gizmos and doodads. I think '86 was the last year before electrical junk and smog control for CJ7s so if you can find one of those you are on the right track.

bob91yj

Resident **************
87-90 are the worst years of the CJ/TYJ/TJ series. Those are the years of the first YJ's, smog strangled/carbed 4.2L, early ones had the Peugeot transmission which is failure looking for a place to happen. CJ's are prone to rust (ungalvanized tubs) and the frames are prone to cracking.
91-95 YJ's got the 4.0L, gradual improvements over those years, leaf spring suspension is stupid simple easy to modify. There were no 96 MY Wranglers. 97-06 TJ's had gradual improvements over the years, link/coil spring suspension, more creature comforts.

profire

nkorep2

As far as Wranglers you're looking at TJs. You will be darn lucky to find a rubi in that price range. You'd be lucky to find a 4.0L that is younger than 2003 in that price. Look for a low mileage 01-03 4.0L, You can find em built up as well which could save you money if you're wanting to build it anyway. I just got a 01 with 84K miles in great shape for 8.5K. That seemed to be about average price for that year and condition. I was hoping for less than 8. Im happy with it none the less.

The LJ's will be out of the question in that price range. You should be able to find a good TJ in that price range... just not at Collins Brothers which is close to you. Best bet is to scour Craigslist and the local jeep clubs. Have you looked on the Lone Star Jeep Club forum? You may be able to find one there.

profire

LOL, yeah they have some nice jeeps but I think there a little over priced. Be sure to check out LSJC.org, nice people and very helpful. Seems like there is always someone helping out another jeeper when wrenching needs to be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78