better fabric-design for flippac????

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i would love a better tent fabric. i dont care about a fly and dont think its needed with windows to regulate air flow. all i think is needed is a good strong waterproof material with little awnings over at least the front and back windows so they can remain partially open during even heavy rain.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
why need a fly ?

make the top fully waterproof and the sides water resistant but breathable- think sunbrella or similar

vents in the sides with covers

this is a simpler design roof tent but functioned perfectly for years

the one behind was another make but with larger ventilation - and window covers

DSC01757.jpg

if you have the frame already

tie strings to keep the poles in place

use some old sheets to mock up the basic shape and rough sew in place

reverse the cover and check it for fit

You now have the basic pattern

add windows and vents to suit

employ the local industrial sewing machine owner.

car seats-sails-blinds-curtains-upholstery etc etc

I intend to either build an RTT shortly as I can't get one in Colombia- or take a quick trip to venezuela- but its a risky trip with todays issues over there

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
New here... When I go on a camping trip, I just sleep in the shell, no tent. I was starting to love the idea of the Flip Pack, once I found out they even existed, and now I'm finding out they are a fair weather design? would a Flip Pack hold up to a Midwest rain storm with the fly on? I got no problem putting on a fly, I probably would put it on every time I put it up.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have been in torrential downpours on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington without issue. The fly works.

We're just brainstorming to modernize the design ;)

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the flip is a 3 season tent, with the fly, especially the slo sails one its a full four season tent. i was just out this past w/e in mojave,, with 50plus mph gusts, other than flapping top and sound it was no problem.

aventurero

Fabric/design discussion.....

In the context of a tent that can be retro-fitted to a Flip Pac camper, the fly in the ointment (couldn’t resist) is that the tent poles are hinged and mounted inside of the tent wall and a couple inches down in the shell cap. Most backpacking tents have the poles on the outside of inner tent wall.

Stretch a fly on the outside, hang an interior breathable layer on inside…
  • The poles would then need to go through the wall of the inner tent at some point to reach the fly.
  • The lower wall of the inner tent would lie against the fly wall. There isn’t much room on the shell to re-anchor a fly farther out. Moving the interior tent wall inward (inside of the poles for example) puts it down into the shell. This would create a place for any condensation to run down and accumulate.
Really need air space all around to separate the fly from a liner, or the water that condenses on the inside of the fly will just drip on or wick through into the liner.

An observation about the overlapping vent on the top of the flip-pac - it eases opening/closing of the tent by providing a way for air to get in/out of the tent when the screens are zipped up and the glass and tailgate are shut.
- Cheers, John

This is brilliant! This is what I had hoped would happen. Loads of discussion and ideas. Something good will come of this discussion.
Keep moving forward.
Cheers

aventurero

Brilliant...

This is brilliant! This is what I had hoped would happen. Loads of discussion and ideas. Something good will come of this discussion, I'm sure of it.
Keep moving forward.
Cheers

aventurero

Well. That's great. But, it doesn't solve the problem. Just replacing it doesn't cut it. It needs to be redesign w/ better craftsmanship and materials. Clearly, the makers have never spent a night in the rain in their own product. (and had to get up and put on the fly, laughable) Sorry, I just can't help myself when it comes to Flippac. (company) My fiasco w/ a broken hinge and the TOTAL lack of help of any kind from the company really soured me. Sorry. I just hope that my torsion bar doesn't break!

the price quote was not a suggestion of a fix it was an indication of the "target price" for a newly developed tent. I think at that price (which seems to be going up) a newly made and manufactured tent would be a new standared for the flippac. Why pay $1000 for a crap tent when you could buy a new well designed tent in a $700-800 price tag.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
NEMO has a great tent for the flippac,,, but as of yet they dont seem interested in selling them.

NEMO has a great tent for the flippac,,, but as of yet they dont seem interested in selling them.

Are you refering to the tents on the Jeep Habitats? A quick look seemed to indicate the tent for the Habitat is longer thus a different dimention then that of the flippac.

Clutch

<---Pass
Are you refering to the tents on the Jeep Habitats? A quick look seemed to indicate the tent for the Habitat is longer thus a different dimention then that of the flippac.

I am under the impression, they could manufacture one to fit the FP, using the same material, not sing the same tent. Might run into legal issues though. I would like to manufacture an updated Wildernest, might run into legal issues though with patents and such.

Last edited:

Ursa Minor

The NEMO tent used on the Habitat will not fit a Flip-Pac, the footprint for the Jeep is longer and narrower than the Flip-Pac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior