Better sleeping pads and mats?

Sid Post

Observer
My search for threads here was not very successful so here I am. I don't need the super light and expensive classic backpacking sleeping pads and the common "Walmart" air mattress is problematic camping and is super bulky.

What are the better sleeping mats or pads today? I travel in a Toyota Tacoma so, size matter but, I also don't need anything extreme. Ideally, I will have ground insulation, comfort on firm or uneven surfaces, and I won't break the bank buying one. Most use will be in a tent but, use in a bivvy sack would be nice too!

TIA,
Sid

douglastic

Agreed that an air mattress with foam inside is the winner.
You can spend a lot less than the ExPed. I got a 3" amazon one for less than $100 and it has held up great.
Def bulkier when rolled than other options, but the comfort is worth it if you have the gear space.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
NEMO equipment -roamer. I replaced the mattress in my outfitter with two of them. ( They now make one that is a queen size,ish)

Not on the budget side, but pretty great. Just be sure to open the valve prior to elevation changes.

And I paired it with the NEMO Jazz Dual sleeping bag. The sleeve keeps the pad mated with the bag. If you use two single pads you can have differing levels of firm.

It makes one hell of a sleep system. I have the Gen 1. And I don’t find the removable top sheet stays put with a partner, as it uses snaps.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
I second the Exped recommendation - a good nights sleep is worth a few extra dollars to me.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Megamat for the win. There are knockoffs for way cheaper. But check the valves. MM valves come with easier adjustments of inflation level when you're laying down. Also an inflation pump with a deflation function really helps with breakdown. These take some effort to deflate and roll up.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I like the Nemo stuff if I use a pad, but for me it's a cot all the way. A cot isn't for everyone, but there are so many options across the price range and depending where you buy them you can often try them and return them if you don't like it. I've tried a few different ones, but usually go back to my old standby which is an Original Pre-Gen UltraLite cot now made by Therm-a-rest.

I've used them in my Ultra-Bivy and in all my tents, and sometimes use a small tent thing on top of it. I have no problem sleeping on my side or back, and always feel rested. If it's cold I stuff some clothes or stuff under it for insulation.

If I haven't used it in a while it can take an extra minute or two to remember how to assemble it though :)

aknightinak

I bought into Klymit a few years ago with an Insulated Static V and then last year picked up the Insulated Double V. I like them both. The double inflates using the bag as a bellows and has a lower profile valve. The single inflates by lung in about 10 breaths. I've used both down to -20 F and remained comfortable overnight.

COAKXterra

Fourth for the exped megamat. We got the XL and it’s fantastic for wife and I and the tiny human when she doesn’t want to sleep on her own. Arguably close in comfort to our home mattress.

HWY395ghost

Another vote for EXPED.
I adjust the firmness to exactly match my mattress at home. I literally do not experience any difference in sleep, even on the first night of trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12