Betty Boop 87 Syncro Tdi

jon_slider

Hi all
betty_boop_cartoon-2868.jpg

this is my Van Betty
IMG_1058.JPG

She is an 87 Syncro Westfakia with a 2.5 Tdi, front and rear lockers, decoupler and solid shaft. 245x75x16 BFG AT Ko tires, custom transmission gearing produces 8.25mph @3000rpm in granny and 70mph@3000rpm in 4th.. best hwy mpg 25 US.

She has 4 wheel disk brakes, diesel furnace, high power headlights, house battery, stereo with iPhone interface for music and gps, and 4 wheel brake line locks. As well as a few other modifications to the fenders and suspension. Upgraded steel bumpers, exterior tire swing, surf racks.

Betty has been passing the test of time and is now proving trail worthy without dramatic incident of late.

Had a wonderful time at Hollister with the Overland Expo, so thought I would stop by and wave

some mammoth trip photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/sliderjon/LaurelLakes#
IMG_0857.JPG

some Big Sur photos here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/sliderjon/LosBurros1stAnniversary#
IMG_0903.JPG

A few of us Vanfolk have been meeting up for the past year about once a month to explore Big Sur and a couple other places.. pics in this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438285

Happy Holidays
Jonathan

jon_slider

Thanks for the kind words

Betty is new to me and just got her final tires and gearing worked out less than 4 months ago. But it was a project that was started in 2007.

My 86 gold syncro westy, Sally, was sold just before Betty first became driveable last Xmas. But Betty ate her transaxle within the first 5000 miles, and then had to go through 3 more tranny rebuilds, to get to this stage. I sometimes call her Tranny Betty for that reason.

but, the Tranny failure was not Bettys fault. I actually ran with only 2 quarts of tranny fluid for the first 5000 miles.. goodbye ring and pinion.. (techincal error, to many cooks, someone forgot to finish filling the tranny the first time.. the other times, were rebuild issues that ended up being a bad housing bushing, that was causing the van to pop out of granny gear going downhill)

while on the carnage report, Betty also ate one front outer CV in early testing, but it was caused by a torn boot and muddy water. It was not due to excess application of force at the fuel pedal. Honest! :)

I have upgraded the rear axles and CV's to torsional chrome molly axles and race prep CV's with higher operation angles than stock. The front axles and CV's are stock, but the actual operating angles are below the max angle spec. Or so I tell myself, to avoid buying more expensive axles and CV's..

blupaddler

Conspirator
:drool::drool::drool:

I am pretty sure I have been drooling over this Van for a while now... Odd question, but have you had work done at BRU Auto in San Diego? We have been getting my wife's VW worked on there for a while now, and I have drooled over one almost, if not, exactly like yours. If it is yours, I apologize for the face smudges on the windows.

These are sooooo cool! Especially with the TDI!

jon_slider

> BRU Auto in San Diego

YES!

Extremely Highly Recommended.

Jack has done amazing things for my van. I am extremely grateful to him.

One of the finest craftsmen I have met in the Vanagon community.

He did an intercooler installation in my lower front grille that is totally invisible, yet incredibly efficient.

The skidplate is built strong enough to jack the van up. I could go on and on about Jacks work, fabrication, electrical, suspension mods, wheel well mods, transmission work.. hes a master. And he charges too little.

He also owns TDi Vanagons himself. Mine is running like a charm. Goes up the grapevine highway in 4th gear on cruise control, and then crawls slow and steady enough to climb steeps at idle.

> I swear that thing is commonly parked at the lane in santa cruz...

yup, Im the guy who surfs with no wax
d9d92632.jpg

heres my 9'8" Yater Spoon Woody, signed by Rennie Yater. I lived in Santa Barbara where I surfed Rincon, before living in Santa Fe where I surfed Powder, before Santa Cruz, where middle peak teaches me humility.
c7a7df76.jpg

Last edited:

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Love the syncros. I sure miss my westy but i just had to have AWD/4WD. If i had the money, i'd get a high-top syncro, drop a modern engine in it, do lots of soundproofing, get cruise control, etc, etc, etc, etc, $$$, $$$, $$$, $$$ :)

You've got a very nice one there!

jon_slider

Yes it is a paintover, small world. It had a blown tiico motor. From PO, after you I guess.

Now has cruise control, insulation, but interior is thrashed still, need$ love.

jon_slider

839993.jpg

(all in good fun):

My 87 Syncro, Tranny Betty, is in transition from Syncro to GWagen, so when her
Syncro label fell off, I did not put it back on.

Now nobody but me knows I have a Syncro <g>

People do appreciate Betty's Mercedes Centercaps, but I think its the 31" BFG's
that gets their attention first.

I see the men saying "4wheeldrive" to their female companions, who tend to point
to the pop top as their focus of admiration while saying "camper".

A few notice the TDi label on Betty's Booty. But most seem unaware of the allure
of the words "front and rear lockers with solid shaft and decoupler".

Now that she has 3 knobs, Betty wants a GWagen label to further her transition.
Im concerned other GWagens might not consider Betty passable.

I told her it takes more than knobs to be a GWagen, and to just be happy as a
VWagen, but she has her heart set on transitioning..

Betty wants to lead 4x4 tours, to earn the money she needs to G herself. She
wants me to ask if anybody wants to go to Death Valley this weekend :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears