BFG MT KM2 Tires. Too much??

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm currently running 265/75/16 BFG ATs on my DII. I can't complain about them at all, but wonder if something more aggressive like the new BFG MT KM2 would be too much. I could deal with a bit of road noise. I wonder what impact I'd see on my gas mileage.

Any input from you forum gurus?

By the way, the swap up would be super cheap since I have a buddy in line to buy my 10,000 year old ATs for a fair price.

Thanks

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I find that my KM2's are pretty smooth and quiet on the highway. They were a huge upgrade offroad compaired to the Nitto Terra Grapplers I had on before. I would do it if you can swing it for cheap.

Willman

This thread got me thinking about the price of the new KM2's.....

-Hi Lift Jack on-

I paid $160 a tire for my KM's a few years ago.....the KM2 are $210 a tire.....:Wow1:

I guess with the spike in fuel prices a year ago......It will take a while for the tire prices to come down alittle.....

-Hi Lift Jack off-

:sombrero:

I'm currently running 265/75/16 BFG ATs on my DII. I can't complain about them at all, but wonder if something more aggressive like the new BFG MT KM2 would be too much. I could deal with a bit of road noise. I wonder what impact I'd see on my gas mileage.

Any input from you forum gurus?

Thanks

I made that exact change...size and everything. A little more road noise but not much. I haven't noticed any changes in gas milage but I'm sure it has gone down a little. Overall much better off pavement traction (haven't spent much time in mud yet). My BFG ATs have worn really well and I plan on putting them back on in the fall.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--
Every one I've spoke with who has them--and takes care of them--say they're as quiet as their AT KOs were on most surfaces. A few told me they handle better in wet weather compared to the AT KOs.

I only know two people who have any decent mileage on them, both on newer JK Wranglers. Everyone else just got them, or are running older MTRs or the Interco options (home state of LA afterall.) The guy with the 4-door has 26K and they're not even 1/2 worn yet. The 2 door has 35K and is past the 1/2 way mark (though he's young and drives it like a race car, so that may be a factor.) I've seen a 3/4 ton newer Chevy with some that a local contracting company owns. The driver claimed he had 40K on them and they sure as heck didn't look like it. I would have guessed 5K to 10K at most. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not, but I don't know why he'd lie about it.

Those KM2s are what's being installed on my next vehicle.

michaelgroves

Explorer
In my experience the downside of an M/T tyre is that, although it's fantastic in the mud when it's new, for the second half of its life, when it's half worn, it's not much better in the mud than an A/T, but still has the appalling road manners and the noise and high wear-rate of muds.

However, the BFG M/Ts are pretty good for road manner, wear, and noise, so I can't see much reason to stick with an A/T.

I'd go narrower too, but that's a whole 'nother discusssion.

CharlieV

Adventurer
Wheeling in AZ, do you encounter a lot of mud? In the east, namely VT, a MT tire is almost a requirement. An aired down AT can be a very effective tire if you drive it correctly though. From what I've seen on the trail, it's more a drivers skill than the tires' aggressiveness.

jham

Adventurer
determining if a MT is too much for you is up to you. Do you need an MT? If you don't dont buy them.

I dont wheel enough to need a MT on my truck all the time. I run ATs on the road, and am saving for a second set of rims/tires for the weekend. That way I can go as aggressive as I want and not worry about noise and such.

taoseno

Observer
I saw a brand new KM2 blow the sidewall out last year at Hole in the Rock. I had the KM's for years and never had a problem; I now have the GY MTR's and am happy with them. Lots of road noise (maybe that is the convertible) but hook up well off road. YMMV

Todd
Taos, NM

rismail01

Observer
BFG MT KM2 Tires. Too much??

I've been running the KM2 tires on my D2 since Dec last yr and I'm happy with them. Will I recommend them to my friends? Sure if they don't mind paying the $. The hwy manner is good and the noise level is acceptable & may even be lower db than other MT style tires. They perform well in snow, ice, wet, mud and rock surfaces. I put them on a nice highway pace between IL, CO and UT. And nice rough terrain between Kokopoli Trail and Hole the Rock Trail. I've ran both BFG AT, MT and Cooper STT and in my opinion they are all good tires but I am especially impressed by the "grips" way the KM2 and the sidewalls took a beating on the HTR trail w/o issues. I have almost 6000 miles on these guys and they seemed to wear pretty well. Like some have said before, it depends where you wheel the most. I wheel both in the Midwest, Southwest and Mountain/West areas so the KM2 is a nice fit for me. On a side note I also enjoyed the Cooper STT when I ran on the Disco for 2 yrs +. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan