Bicycling Old Historic Canalways

Longtrailahead

Old, historic canalways offer bicyclists a wonderful opportunity to go out and explore the countryside's of which they are found in. Besides being completely safe, such rides provide a pleasurable experience on many various levels and, assure the rider that lasting positive memories will be had. Though I have bicycled in many parts of the world, and have already completed some incredible feats of bicycling performance myself, I have recently taken my own travels on several different former canal systems and combined them in a newly released publication that details the things that I have found. Bicycling The Erie Canal: Stories and Insight Leading Up to One Memorable Ride, is more than just a simple story regarding one of America's most notable canalways. But rather a story of so much more when one individual seeks out the endless opportunities of which life provides.

To learn more, kindly click on the link provided for further information - https://longtrailahead.blogspot.com/2016/06/bicycling-erie-canal.html

TwinStick

Explorer
I live close to the Erie canal. I have biked parts of it. Awesome stuff. On the Erie Canal once, I helped a guy from Germany fix a flat tire once. He had no tube, so I gave him mine & helped him fix it.

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
My wife just completed the 400 mile Erie Canal Bike Ride sponsored by Parks And Trails New York. She rode 8 days on the canalway from Buffalo to Albany, New York and experienced some beautiful scenery as well as the effort to recover the canal. I was her personal SAG (support and Gear) driver but the organization did a great job supporting the 747+ riders. Many participants have done more than one multi day rides. We saw some great little museums and even went for a boat ride through the locks. Great trip with great people. My wife is now planning her next extended ride adventure.

Longtrailahead

TwinStick, you are indeed right when you say biking the Erie Canal is awesome stuff. The old historic waterway offers bicyclists a unique opportunity to go out and experience a real piece of American history, put in some decent mileage on favorable conditions, and simply enjoy the surrounding New York State countryside to boot.

Longtrailahead

My wife just completed the 400 mile Erie Canal Bike Ride sponsored by Parks And Trails New York. She rode 8 days on the canalway from Buffalo to Albany, New York and experienced some beautiful scenery as well as the effort to recover the canal. I was her personal SAG (support and Gear) driver but the organization did a great job supporting the 747+ riders. Many participants have done more than one multi day rides. We saw some great little museums and even went for a boat ride through the locks. Great trip with great people. My wife is now planning her next extended ride adventure.

Congratulations to your wife on successfully completing the organized ride promoted by Parks and Trails New York. They do an absolutely incredible job in their efforts to promote all that curtails riding the canal and such. Their official webpage is chock full of so much information, and is and should be a major source for anyone who is thinking about taking their own trip on the canal. My wife sometimes operates the SAG wagon for me on extended bicycling trips, and I am very much appreciative for her efforts put forth in order to assist me in my athletic endeavors. If you and your wife take to the road again and choose to venture a little down south toward Pennsylvania, look me up on warmshowers.org and we'll host you at our home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears