Big Bend Country

kai38

Explorer
Great write up & timely for me too.
Some friends and I met yesterday to go over maps for our trip there in March.
Looks like some of the same routes we've plotted out, going down Old Ore rd, spending time in the NP before heading to the SP. Like you we will be short on time to get to the park headquarters before they close & plan to find some where to camp for 3-4 vehicles off of 170 past Lajates.

Brandon###

Great write up & timely for me too.
Some friends and I met yesterday to go over maps for our trip there in March.
Looks like some of the same routes we've plotted out, going down Old Ore rd, spending time in the NP before heading to the SP. Like you we will be short on time to get to the park headquarters before they close & plan to find some where to camp for 3-4 vehicles off of 170 past Lajates.

Make sure you make time to hike down the trail called "The Window". The view at the end is gorgeous. I've never seen anything else like it.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Make sure you make time to hike down the trail called "The Window". The view at the end is gorgeous. I've never seen anything else like it.

Definitely a great hike. We are hoping to fit that one in on our way to Overland Expo in March. :bike_rider:

Strizzo

Explorer
I don't think there's anything worth worrying about in BiBe, especially now that they're reopening the Boquillas Crossing and building a new facility. I think the BP keeps a pretty good eye on things there, and it's far enough off the beaten path on both sides of the border to not attract any riffraff, imho..

Javelinas are everywhere and will sniff-out stuff around your tent while you're in it.

Of course, I'd be inclined to pack when out and about just because over the years the mountain lions have been known to attack people..

Love it there.

John
it definitely didn't seem that way then, i think we saw one BP truck the whole weekend we were in the park, saw plenty farther north near marathon though. there was a pretty steady stream of vehicles in and out of the campsite. according to one of the other campers, they were using light signals to notify when it was clear to cross. this person said she observed several groups of people bringing packages back and forth across the river.

after my midnight encounter i went to check out the spot where the two men bolted towards when they saw me. there had been so much traffic on the trail that it looked like a cattle trail, and there were fresh prints leading right down to the river, just next to that was a white rag tied to a branch to make it easier to see where to cross to in the dark, with another white rag tied to a branch on the other side about 50 yards downstream.

now, i don't know what these folks were moving across the border, it could have just been supplies for the folks in boquillas, but the fact that cell service was at least a 20 minute drive away, and its not likely that we would see a park ranger or BP all night didn't leave us feeling like that part of the border is very secure

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Great trip report Mr Leary. some beautiful images and good detail to the write up. I keep looking at that area myself while I have been here in texas but not sure i will make it down.

scarysharkface

Explorer
but the fact that cell service was at least a 20 minute drive away

Sounds like a strange night indeed.

For cell service, if you drive the couple of miles to the Southern end of Old Ore Road and then up to the top of that first hill, you'll get 5 bars. Not as convenient as having service in the campground (which I'm certain is coming soon, what with the new facility and crossing), but useful to know..

I know there is a great deal of traffic across the river to leave trinkets and such for the tourists. The park volunteers tend to know the people on the opposite bank rather well, even if from a small distance, since many of them are family.

Again, great trip report and pics. I can't wait to get back there. Fantastic and highly-recommended.

John

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I know there is a great deal of traffic across the river to leave trinkets and such for the tourists. The park volunteers tend to know the people on the opposite bank rather well, even if from a small distance, since many of them are family.

Big Bend was a shining example of what an international park should be until 9/11.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Big Bend was a shining example of what an international park should be until 9/11.

The locals tell some fantastic stories of sharing and community prior to that day. Festivals, weddings, celebrations of a more general nature... all took place on and across both sides of the river. I wish I could have experienced some of that.

John

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
You used to be able to wade across and visit Boquillas and other villages. There used to be guides you could hire down there to take you out to remote parts of the Cohuilas.

scarysharkface

Explorer
You used to be able to wade across and visit Boquillas and other villages. There used to be guides you could hire down there to take you out to remote parts of the Cohuilas.

Hopefully some of that will return when the border reopens in 2012 (April, I think).

John

TravelAfar

Mexican Threat?

It's a shame that Americans have become so paranoid about their Southern neighbors. My wife and I drive down to Mexico every year and find it far safer than the US. You will not get shot in Mexico for accidentally sleeping on private land, you are usually invited to stay as long as you want. In Texas on the other hand YOU WILL GET SHOT.

jeff parker

Observer
Seems there is a bit of paranoia here. Remind me not to go out and about after dark, might get shot by a gringo.:sombrero:

There are vast stretches of border both east and west of the NP that are very remote with little enforcement. Why would a smuggler choose to cross through an area that is full of tourists and park rangers with an hour drive to get out? There has been one (maybe two) murders in Big Bend in which the parties did not know each other. Your hometown is more dangerous than Big Bend. Unless you run out of water.:)

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Seems there is a bit of paranoia here. Remind me not to go out and about after dark, might get shot by a gringo.:sombrero:

There are vast stretches of border both east and west of the NP that are very remote with little enforcement. Why would a smuggler choose to cross through an area that is full of tourists and park rangers with an hour drive to get out? There has been one (maybe two) murders in Big Bend in which the parties did not know each other. Your hometown is more dangerous than Big Bend. Unless you run out of water.:)

Thats why I felt a little sheepish, but you are not thinking like that when you are there... you are reacting to something very out of the ordinary. Not like I was gonna lay down suppressing fire... just ready... if they wanted trouble, I could deliver it.

achampagne

Explorer
Great report and pics, Big Bend was my first overland experience and by far the best I have been on, I always want to go back!

ltngaines

Adventurer
Leary, that post was great.I just became a member of Central Overland. I wish I lived close to all of you. I will plan a trip that way soon. Great stuff man, and nice to meet you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle